"Cafe Creme"

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    beachcomber
    Participant

So …………………. thanx to the Kaptain I have effectively ended up with a second spare engine. Actually – the Mk1 from my original bike with the 40DCOE + high level 2 > 1 exhaust. It is an early engine and in reality I need a late engine as a back up for the Glemseck lump.

That means I will have a spare engine sat on the bench with no home ! Then I got talking to my pal Brian [ donating the workshop space  ]. When I was diagnosed with the Chronic Kidney Disease some years ago, I threw all my toys out of the pram – almost literally – and sold off most of my long term projects. Bikes and my Vanguard Estate Hot Rod. One of the projects was a Yamaha TR1 1000cc V twin [ “Cafe Creme” ] to be built in the Boardtracker style. VERY simple lines and essentially nowhere near as costly to build as a Cafe Racer – or even a restoration ! THEN we got talking about the resurgence of interest in the old 1920s / 30s Boardtrack racers and the fact that people are beginning to use them in various competition / parades. So there is an end use – not simply a design exercise.  Essentials for the Boardtrack style are – simple frame, 21″ wheels, girder forks, rigid rear and as stripped down as possible. Normally NO front brake – but self preservation [ and MOT ! ] calls for some sort of brake – albeit vestigial. The French made a whole bunch of such spec road bikes in the early 20’s and early 30’s and they frequently come up on E Bay for around £400 – £500. NOT that I have £400 – £500 spare [ not even £50 ! ] but what is life without a plan?

TAKE ENGINE “A” +  DONOR “B” AND END UP WITH “C” !!

ENGINE “A”

DONOR “B”

• This topic was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by beachcomber.
    • This topic was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by beachcomber.
    beachcomber
    Participant

Moving along nicely now – most of the major parts are either in stock or on the way !

Mocked up the Bantam forks with the Honda XLR250 front wheel – yep it will all fit. I wanted the style of girder forks that Motobecane [ and others ] use – a banana shape. I came up with a cunning plan to mod the Bantam forks to give that look. Again – POC using a piece of liberated garden hose shows it will work. A bit of imagination required as I ran out of hose ! There will be a couple of functioning barrel saddle springs at the top to add to the illusion – and actually they will add some suspension.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

I must admit Beachcomber I am a little lost with the depth some of your ideas as to whether or not they are the right thing to do but I am so interested and mesmerised with the developing projects.

Keep it going mate

beachcomber
    Participant

I get a little lost sometimes too !!

This is the overall look I’m going for – but in my own way. Forks will be different and of course the KZ750 lump. This one was £75,000 !!!

philpassingham
    Participant

great colour,can you knit me one

beachcomber
    Participant

Yes Phil,

Colourways are important to get the period feel. I had already decided [ 7 years ago with the aborted TR1 B/T ] colours would be a light coffee with cream [ buttermilk ] contrast. Then I came across the H-D tracker pictured above and that convinced me. Hence the bike name “Cafe Creme”

I’ve had to abandon the styling cue of the Motobecane forks – as the springs [ top ] will interfere with the lock of the steering. Second choice was a slimmer version of the H-D springer. Only this time I intend to use a single coil over RAMSHOX unit at the top – which give the look of the springer but with a practical solution to the fact that the Bantam forks have NO hydraulic dampening !!

One of the perks of being the instigator and development guy on the RAMSHOX is that when I want a special for myself – I can just ask my pal Adrian ! He’s bringing up a sample of my order tomorrow – and while he’s here I can also ask him for the twinshox for the Glemseck !! tee hee.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this