chain to belt?

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Technical Garage chain to belt?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    philpassingham
    Participant

is it possible to swop over to belt drive on a std b1 engine

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Simple answer to that philpass is no. This is because of the frame where the belt would pass through. On the K models the leg is wider to accommodate the belt.

philpassingham
    Participant

Not using a b1 frame,I have a cunning plan

philpassingham
    Participant

Not using a b1 frame,I have a cunning plan

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

So are you asking if the front sprocket from a belt drive will fit on a B1 shaft?

philpassingham
    Participant

U mmmmmmmmm, yes

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

OK.

I have not tried this but I have looked into it in some detail. I can confirm the spline on the belt drive front pulley and the front chain sprockets are the same. The rear pulley will fit to a chain drive sprocket hub. I do believe the rear hubs are interchangeable.

My main reason for not being 100% sure is that the final drive shafts for the B and K models have different part numbers. I don’t know why this is but can’t see why that would cause a problem.

Michael
    Participant

Guys,
    belt sprocket will match the shaft, but shaft is longer and there is a different (longer) spacer used.

But it will not work !!!

Think about the clutch pushrod of the earlier engines.
    There is no space to fit the pushrod and the front belt pulley.

It might be possible to swap the clutch actuator to the one that is used at the BD-models (swap clutch engine cover and some more and internal parts).

E.g. you will need the drive shaft cover of a BD to close the hole which is used for the pushrod.

Here is a pic how it looks like at a BD-model:

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hi Muchael

Thank you for your reply and knowledge. I did ring Philpass last night to discuss the issues most of which is in your reply. However you have now explained the different part number for the final drive shaft. Thank you again for sharing your knowledge.

philpassingham
    Participant

Cheers all

Michael
    Participant

Your welcome 😉

Sure I will pass on my knowledge and experience. There is no reason why I should keep it as a secret.

Cheers, Michael

jett
    Participant

This forum rules.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this