Flat Tracker

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 240 total)
  • Author
    beachcomber
    Participant

Finally got confirmation that the hub is at customs – awaiting valuation. This is on a package that has a £20 value !!

beachcomber
    Participant

I decided to lose the filler neck plinth altogether – just when the shaping was nearly complete !

It’s only a small detail in the overall scheme of things – but I’m glad I went to all the extra trouble to fit the Brass Monza cap.

beachcomber
    Participant

I finally tracked the hub parcel down – turns out it’s been sitting in customs evaluation dept. for 2 weeks – waiting for someone to ask me for the duty payment. OH yes, £29.14 on an item that was valued at $30 ???

The bonus is that it is NOS – the seals, bearings,sprocket, cush drive rubbers etc. are all brand new as from the factory.

40 minutes after opening the parcel the hub was DISMANTLED, CHECKED AND REINSTALLED INTO THE GRIMECA WHEEL !

Basic tank shaping completed – just waiting for a black guide coat and then into final detailing.

beachcomber
    Participant

Public thanx to KK for getting my latest Weber manifold done – work of art. AND it looks the canine’s cajones.

Rear wheel / hub all assembled now – even the sprocket was as new !

I’m leaving the sprocket off for now, as others who have used this set up say a spacer ring is required to help centralise the wheel. So, I’ll measure up first before I bolt it up.

The tank has come out exactly as I’d hoped. I’ve “lost” all the “pie crust” pressed seams, and the filler cap depression / furniture has also been deep sixed. The threaded adaptor neck for the Monza cap has now been modified and I’ll “glue” that in place when the final prep of the tank has been done prior to top coat.

Anyone got a fork brace they’re not using ??

beachcomber
    Participant

There’s a guy local to me who sells “classic” and Cafe Racer accessories.

Just spotted some high level ( same side) Triumph exhaust pipes that might just do the job.

Here’s what I need – the distance from the head ( exhaust port closest point to the frame ) to the outside of the frame tube ( furthest ).

IE – I need to determine if the right hand exhaust will go outside the frame tube.

I spoke to this guy ( Classic spares ) some years ago, and he was willing to loan me a pair of unchromed pipes to offer up and modify if necessary prior to chroming.

I need the measurement to see if this is viable.

TOP URGENT FELLAS.

beachcomber
    Participant

I could really do with that measurement guys ………

Another hour spent on the tank getting the shape where I want it. A little more work to lose the pie crust pressed seam at the back of the tank. Hopefully that will be the last of the shaping filler.

I hope to have the spindle / spacers measured up in the next few days.

beachcomber
    Participant

The tank has now had it’s remedial filler where I missed it before [ oops ]and a final flatting down of the filler. Ready for the guide coats next week – then I can really see how much work I need to do to get it right !

Drums now fitted to give me an idea of what’s required for the spindles.

Initially looks like the rear is OK, just needs some spacers to centralise.

The front looks like using the Grimeca spindle with spacer / sleeves at each end for the for clamps [ larger diameter ]. My main concern was if it was long enough – it is.

Next job is to drop the forks in and measure properly.

AtLarge
    Participant

Very nice BC.

beachcomber
    Participant

Thanx for the encouragement AL.

It’s been a roller coaster year, but back with the plot now.

I’m just hoping I can modify the Triumph high level pipes to suit, the exhaust is the last big spend.

beachcomber
    Participant

Final knock down pass for the rough shaping today and a final coat of primer filler. Into Satin Black guide coat over the weekend for the real work to start on final shaping / filling. The Satin Black will also give me a good idea as to whether the Black / Red colourways work.

The seat base has been knife stopped – so it’s a final flat off and first coat of Satin Black. I can then select which leather to use – Red or Black.

beachcomber
    Participant

All the minor blemishes on the tank [ see pic ] have now had a final light filler coat and provided it’s more than 3 degrees in my shed over the next few days – I’ll get it knocked down and then I really WILL give it a Black guide coat !

I’ve given the seat base a coat of Satin |Black but it was just too cold to go out into the shed to check it today.

Instead I collected my powder coated Grimeca brake furniture. Yes it’s Gold and not chromed as I planned, but at £15 vs £125 it was a no brainer !

beachcomber
    Participant

Too cold at the weekend !!!! Finally got the guide coat on today – and even before I sprayed it, I could see there was more shaping required on the right side. I guess all you “proper” painters will be laughing at my efforts – but I WILL get it right in the end !

I moved my mini-workshop around today in an effort to get enough room on the bench to assemble the forks so I can start finalising what’s needed for the spindles / spacers etc. Just about do it with luck. That’s meant moving my “spray shop” [ !! ] to the other end of the shed. Compact and Bijou.

The Black rattle can was a disaster [ seat base ]- absolute rubbish [ product not the painter !]- it’s come out mottled – just like the effects of bloom – but the temp / humidity was OK. Ah well, spoil the ship etc. 1 ltr. of proper cellulose from a reputable supplier ordered and I’ll go back the “proper” spraying.

I had a final prep of the fork legs and they’ll be in this week, then I can get on with the spindle measurements.

AtLarge
    Participant

I kinda like it. More of a granite finish. Not the look you were going for I know but, “different”.

beachcomber
    Participant

Yes, if only I could leave it liked that !!!

However once I start the serious job of surfacing the “mottle” effect will show up the highs and lows as it’s rubbed down. Then it’s into the finer filling and shaping until it’s “right”.

Certainly would be different [ and save me a bunch of work ] if I left it in the guide coat !

Thanx for your continued interest.

beachcomber
    Participant

A BIT OF REAL PROGRESS TODAY !!

I decided to move the small bike stand from the garage to my shed – and ended up mounting up the frame on the bench.

Just a short leap then to preliminary fitting of forks, rear wheel and the front wheel.

By that time it was too cold to carry on – so tomorrow it’s centralise the wheels and have an initial measure up for spindles.

Fortunately the front [ Grimeca ] spindle is long enough for the fork spacing. Just requires some sleeves making up to bring the diameter up to fit the fork caps.

The rear looks OK, but I’ll have to modify the sleeve [ for the disc brake mount ] or get a new one made.

I’ll also sort out which sprockets I’m going to use, then I can see about centralising for the sprocket. Can’t really finalise that until the engine is in and I can align the chain run.

While I’m at it, I’ll remove all my reconned hydraulics and lines etc. that I won’t be needing. That also means junking my rear brake set up !

New torque arm will have to be made – I’ll probably go with Rose jointed rods front and back as I’ve got a load of odd ball joints that need using up !

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 240 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this