front sprocket

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Technical Garage front sprocket

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    kaye
    Participant

Eyup all,
    Just a quickie, after blatting down the M1 the other day i feel the need for less revs in top gear! my front sprocket is 16 teeth, so if i put a 17 tooth sprocket on instead do you think it will make much differance?
    Thanks Kaye 😕

philpassingham
    Participant

Think that’s the biggest that will fit

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Yeah 17 is the biggest unless you remove the inner chain guard but then your risking damaging the wires.

In answer to your question it will reduce the revs at the price of acceleration but that will hardly be noticeable.

Plus one tooth on the front roughly equates to -2.5 teeth on the rear.

kaye
    Participant
    Mikeonabike
    Participant

Mine was very low geared (55mph cruising)so I went up to a 17 which helped a little bit,(60mph) the chain was now at max adjustment that’s when I realised the back sprocket had 2 extra teeth over standard.
    Now I am going to get a standard back sprocket and then maybe even go up to an 18 on the front.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

You can’t fit bigger than a 17 on the front without remove the inner chain guard which is risky as your getting very close to the wiring under there plus there’s no protection from the shit flying off the chain. I would strongly advise using a smaller rear which will also give more adjustment of the chain

kaye
    Participant

Update.. 17t Srocket arived today and fitted, been for a ride round the villages and seems better, great an B roads! i’ll try the motorway at weekend.. 😉

Mikeonabike
    Participant

I got a new 38t (standard) back sprocket and with the 17t it’s a great improvement, cruising is now just over 60mph.(the same as my Honda CD175) Need an 18t for any motorway runs though.

lonesome
    Participant

Because I have no fear of living dangerously I’ve always used 18T on mine, the acceleration is rubbish but the drone as it gathers speed is great, and blatting thru town @ zero rpm always puts a smile on my face. I’ve never had rubbing wire probs, but I can see the concern, I just ignored it.

I made up a little calculator for this sort of thing you might like to play with, except you can’t upload xls files on here, so a couple of pics.

Mikeonabike
    Participant

I think I will be living dangerously soon!!! 18T here we come 😉

kaye
    Participant

yep ditto me too 😉

Michael
    Participant

On the very last stage of our trip back from Norway the drive chain of Maria’s LTD broke.
    There was a 17t front sprocket still with front chain guard mounted and picture shows the result.

Parts of the drive shaft cover broke off, oil came out of that hole. Clutch pushrod broke off as well. Had to pickup the bike with a trailer.

Have a look at the oilfilter housing. It was touched by the chain but is still intact. Don’t want to think about that (upper half of the engine case!) without a mounted front chain guard.

We will stay at 17t max and will use the front engine (chain) guard.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

I’m afraid I’m with Michael here. Things are fitted for a reason and as I can see from his picture that is good enough reason for me. The same can be achieved by fitting a 35T or 36T sprocket to the rear. They may be harder to find but probably a hell of a lot cheaper in the long run.

Grinkle
    Keymaster

dont forget to check out gearing commander
    you might have to go KZ for the twin

silly me forgot to put the link in
    http://www.gearingcommander.com/

anyway 17 is a prime so it works better for your repeats (how often the chain is on the same teeth)

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

That looks very useful Grinkle. Thank you for sharing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this