No idea about motorbikes

Home Forums New Member Introductions No idea about motorbikes

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    AndyMase
    Participant

Hi

Just bought a 1977 z750, I have had a number of bikes but never did anything other than ride them.

I am hoping to learn about how they work and do some restoration, usual issues seem to exist, electric start doesnt work, no neutral light, no high beam light, indicators only flash when revving the engine, slight blow in the left exhaust where it meets the engine.

So any advice on best place to start to understand how these machines work is greatly appreciated

Andy

marksav
    Participant

Welcome ! I’m a newbie aswell but you will get all the help and advise you need on here.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hi AndyMase and welcome to the site.

If you’ve ridden bikes you will have a great understanding of what they can and should do so don’t worry about your lack of spanner experience your already half way there.

This is a pretty quiet site generally but it is full of help and knowledge. These 750 twins are about as basic as you can get so a great place to start learning hands on.

Whereabouts are you from?

With regards to your issues so far they seem quite normal.

Starter motor is a common fault and I would suggest deal with this last as it could get a little in depth.

The neutral light and high beam light not working is probably as simple as a blown bulb. That’s an easy fix. Unscrew and remove the round plastic nut around the ignition switch. The light cover can now be lifted off. Check the suspect lights to see if the bulbs have blown and replace as required. If you can’t tell if the bulbs have blown swap each one with one that works and see if that solves the problem.

Indicators not flashing unless revving the engine is down to tickover voltage. Hopefully for ease that’s a faulty battery but could be down to charging.

Exhaust blowing is obviously a leak. This could be due to a blown or missing exhaust gasket or maybe even as simple as a loose clamp nut. Try to tighten the nuts but don’t force them as we don’t want a snapped stud.

Cheers

KK

AndyMase
    Participant

Thanks for the advice, will start on those jobs, yeah I think the exhaust is probably the gasket doesn’t affect the running just a small leak you can feel.

Am thinking I may do an oil and filter change too.

Sounds like the electrics are suspect on these bikes, but may buy a basic toolkit, it has a small toolkit under the seat too.

Would be nice to get that starter sorted although kicks over without to much trouble

AndyMase
    Participant

ps. I’m from the Wirral but am currently in Surrey as is the bike

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

This is turning out to be a small world. At the Wirall your not far from me in Bolton and strangely I’ve been speaking to Rupert who you bought the bike from.

Are you planning to fix then ride her home or is it a trailor job?

Cheers

KK

AndyMase
    Participant

Wirral is home but partner lives in Surrey and we work in London. So we are currently at her house where the bike is staying.

Planning on fixing up and using to commute into London.

I have a dodgy hip, so am planning to attempt to sort out the electric start. Have an old starter motor so thought I may clean it up, currently no movement at all on starter so have ordered a multimeter to try and see if power is even getting to it.

We are also refurbing the house so time is limited.

AndyMase
    Participant

so i finally got the multimeter and started to take a look over the bike, as someone had said could just be bulbs that are stopping neutral etc. and they were correct, so now looking at sourcing some bulbs. Also the headlight mounting bolts dont screw in, i suspect they are simply bars holding it in place rather than an attached bolt, so will look at sourcing them too.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hi AndyMase

The bulbs should be a very easy fix and readily available from any auto parts supplier.

I am not quite sure what you mean with the headlight bolts. I picture would be very useful. The parts required are available and I can supply them if you need me too.

Cheers

KK

AndyMase
    Participant

Hi KK

hope you are well, the bike is running and the final thing to get sorted is still the damm starter motor, the one on the bike is dead, a spare that came with the bike is in pieces and not in good shape.

Can you get a patten one that you know of, i looked on weemoto and they do repair kits but not starters, am hoping that you may know if a compatible one can be used from another bike

Andy

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this