Repairing torn boots and hoses

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Technical Garage Tips and Ideas Repairing torn boots and hoses

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    KZ_Kon
    Participant

Here’s a trick I’ve used, most recently on a torn carb boot going from the airbox to the carb, and on the crankcase breather hose which was split.

First, I cleaned off all residual oil, gas, and grease. I first used Simple Green brand cleaner, and then Was and Grease remover (usually used to prep a surface for painting).

After everything was clean and dry, I applied Black RTV sealant on and cracks or splits, and used painter’s blue masking tape to hold everything together for 24 hours until it dries.

Then, remove the tape and cover the part with heat shrink tubing of the appropriate size.  Carefully use a heat gun to shrink the tubing so it conforms to the shape of the part. Don’t apply so much heat that you damage the part or melt through the heat shrink.

Trim off the excess heat shrink and install the part.

Pic 1 shows the carb boot after Black RTV sealant was applied and dry.

Pic 2 shows heat shrink tubing after it was shrunk. You see the excess.

Pic 3 shows the part after the excess heat shrink tubing was trimmed.

Pics 4 and 5 show the part installed.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

That is a great idea. I didn’t know they did heat shrink that big. Just for information you can still get these parts new. There are some available here in the UK and also one of the Germans has manufactured. That being said it’s a great idea and can probably be used on other things too.

Cheers for sharing

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this