Photo Album of my build

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Projects and Progress Progress Reports Photo Album of my build

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  KZ_Kon 3 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #25129

    KZ_Kon
    Participant

    Seems like I’ve already filled the memory requirements on the Gallery,  so I figured I’d list my Facebook photo album of my build.  It’s a public album, so I don’t think you even have to have a Facebook account to view it.  (If I’m wrong, please let me know).

    https://www.facebook.com/gklaskaris/media_set?set=a.10157028365265934&type=3

    I bought a non-running 1979 KZ750-B4 at the end of September 2018.  The seller was asking $750.  I got it for $500.  I was planning on just washing it, tuning it up, hitting it with some spray paint, and riding the hell out of it.   It looked a little rough, but I thought it wouldn’t be an issue.

    Well, I was wrong.

    The previous owner didn’t know what he was doing, so the deeper I got into the bike, the worse it got.  The wiring harness was full of electrical tape.  When I removed the tape I saw tons of badly spliced connections.  Same with the right hand cluster on the handlebars.  Kill switch didn’t work, starter button didn’t work.  Again, bad splices held together with electrical tape and butt connectors.

    He told me he had rebuilt the carbs.  If by rebuild he meant lose parts, put things back together half assed, and rather than replace the float needles and seats to stop it from overflowing to instead just reset the float heights, then yes, they were “rebuilt”.

    Rear shocks were out of oil, front forks were put back in the triple trees at different heights after her replaced the fork seals.

    The list goes on and on.

    So, I ended up removing the motor from the frame, taking everything apart, and rebuilding/replacing/restoring/upgrading everything I could afford to, and that was necessary.  I had the frame and other parts powder coated, too.

    Thankfully, he never dug into the motor.  I have good compression, the valves were all in spec and the top end looked good.

    I’m almost done with the build.  I’ve only done some mild customizing to the bike, but I also didn’t want at all to cut anything off of the frame, or cut up any good, original parts.  Anything I did cut up I bought a spare that was already in poor shape and used that.

    I look forward to meeting you all, and hearing your comments.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.


Share this