contactless ignition needed

Home Forums The Trading Post Bike Related Sales and Wants contactless ignition needed

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

These are hard to find over here but I will check my stock and get back to you

KK

Michael
    Participant

That is great, thank you 😉
    Michael

Tango
    Participant

I don’t understand all this electronic ignition stuff?

I was asking KK the other day.

I wanted to put it on the B1 that I have, what is the difference? I have points and condenser fitted at the minuet, And I have both New and Used Spares for both the points and the condensers?

Why is it better to swap them out?

This is what I have but I need KK to sort what I need? and if I can do it out of this stuff.

Tango
    Participant

Opps Sorry forgot to add the photos.

Try these…

Tango_1367163428000_DSC_0242.jpg

Tango
    Participant

used spares for the stuff I have fitted to the bike?

Why change from these?

Tango_1367163536000_DSC_0241.jpg

dougyt
    Participant

Electronic ignition will give a cleaner brighter spark which won’t change with wear. Points will wear on the cam, the tips burn slightly each time they make and break contact, eventually they will fail unless changed regularly. Contactless ignition has less moving parts to wear and arc out.

Tango
    Participant

Arrr I see. Thanks Dougyt

But It must take some miles to wear points out?

How long would you get out of a set? ive never had a bike that has this set up before?

I only intend on using the bike every now and then, within a 50 mile radius & maybe one big trip a year?

Is it worth me messing around with it?

it must have been ok in 1976, or Kawasaki wouldn’t have used it?

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

That first pic looks like what is needed for electronic ignition. I will check it out with you pal.

Another point to note with using points is that as they work on a spring you do get a small amount of uncontrolled bounce. This gets progressively bigger with wear. All in all Electronic ignition gives a better controlled and strong more reliable spark at regular intervals everytime

Michael
    Participant

Hi Tango,
    yes, that is the stuff of the contactless ignition on the first photo.
    If you don’t change your ignition I am interested in:
    – pick-up (middle left hand side in the photo)
    – rotor as shown and
    – central fixing screw incl special washer.
    I don’t need the ignition black box itself, I have a spare one here.
    Will be out all next week, biking in south of France (Cote d’ Azur).
    Cheers, Michael

Michael
    Participant

Hi Tango,
    regarding the difference (in addition to the already said) the contact plate has 3 slotted holes where it is fixed. With that you can vary the ignition timing and do the timing adjustment.
    The contactless pickup is in a fixed position, no variation possible / required.
    From my knowledge contactless CDI-ignitions were invented in the late 70ies. In 1976 they were no commodity at all 😉
    Cheers, Michael

Michael
    Participant

Hi Lonesome Twins,

does anyone have the parts mounted at the crankshaft of the contactless ignition of the LTDs/CSRs?

Plate with pick-up sensor, rotor with screw and the centrifugal force adjuster.
    I already have the rest of the electric components (ignitor box, etc.)

You may contact me via e-mail to:
    michael.6666@gmx.de

Cheers, Michael

dougyt
    Participant

In regard to the question on how long you will get out of a set of points, the answer is nobody knows. Points being mechanical – electric devices can fail for a variety of reasons and as such can fail at any time. In real life I have not touched the points in my Twin in 5 years apart from checking the gap occasionally and it gets similar usage to what you intend.

Yes Kawasaki used points back then, but they were cheaper and easier to manufacture as electronics were a fairly new field in automotive technology at the time, and more prone to breaking down. As electronics improved they got fitted more and more often to more and more vehicles. Points are OK, but so were horses in their day but we moved forward 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this