Electric Lonesomeland.

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Projects and Progress Progress Reports Electric Lonesomeland.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    lonesome
    Participant

Ok, so my bike died on a country lane in the middle of the night. Happily I managed to coast downhill to a pub, so not all bad. Anyhow, it’s fixed now.

As bikes get older, the only things that really age purely due to age are the tyres and the electrical system. All those plastic block connectors get brittle, crack and eventually disintegrate. Wiring in general will always attract bodgers of all sorts. Bodgers have 2 things in common: an infinite supply of insulating tape and no knowledge of either the purpose or proper fitting of the simple electrical crimp.

After nearly 40 years my wiring loom is a broken, sad mess, literally dripping with insulating tape glue. ALL the blocks are in some way completely OOPsed. The deeper you dig the worse it gets. My particular fault was a short in the main power line, behind the voltage regulator. A crap crimp had been wrapped in the inevitable tape, which had come loose and let the wire short to the frame. Lovely, took ages to find.

Anyhow, it’s done now. NO insulating tape was sacrificed in the repair (always use heatshrink, even unshrunk is good). I discovered that with the headlight on the battery is being charged to 15.3V, a level that will quite literally cook a battery. Any more than 14.8 is trouble, and lets face it, your YB14L-A2 isn’t the toughest cookie in any jar to start with.

All FYI, have a nice day and trouble-free ride, y’all. :pint:

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this