engine enquiry

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Technical Garage engine enquiry

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    keith52
    Participant

I was told a long time ago that the engine had a gyroscope type part in the engine to prevent vibration.
    Is this true or just the salesman’s gimmick ?

If it’s where abouts is it ?
    Please don’t just say in the engine ha-ha.

Keith

philpassingham
    Participant

balancers run by chainto oppose the pistons,got to say it,in the engine hehehehehe

keith52
    Participant

Ha-Ha-Ha !

Okay I expected that.
    Thank you for the info though it really as solved a lingering mystery to me.
    Thanks Philpass.

keith

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Interesting concept.

It’s like philpass says. Both pistons go up and down together so there are counterbalance weights and chains fitted to compensate for the forces. This is one of the reasons why the bike/engine is so heavy.

keith52
    Participant

this is getting real interesting, I’m learning so much.

must admit I just rode it.
    I didn’t know the engine was over weight, never having to take it out.

please carry on you’ve got me hooked.

keith

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Most people take the engine out through choice. IE they are doing the bike up and painting the engine or powder coating the frame. It is very rare to hear of an engine being removed because of mechanical breakdown. They are very over engineered in that department so do not tend to wear out. The only rebores I have heard of are for Big Bore kits (865cc) or because of poor storage so the bores have rusted. The biggest mechanical issue with these bikes is unquestionably the starter clutch. I have had 4 or 5 fail but as this is the same starter clutch as used on many other Kawasaki twins and fours I feel it has reached and passed its design limits with the starting demands of our mighty 750 twins.

keith52
    Participant

I learned the hard way about electric starters.
    I had a T140 electric, if you didn’t kick it over after it had stood for a few hours when starting up then the electric starter would seize.
    Which killed the engine, even bump starting didn’t help.
    Since the z750 is less higher ratioed, the chances should be slim until you get to high mileages.
    Which after kicking the T140 I’d be more inclined to use the z750’s kick start.

Keith

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

When the Z750’s are set up and tuned right they are almost guaranteed to fire on the touch of the button or on first kick. Unfortunately people don’t keep on top of them (me included) and that’s when they need to be encouraged to start. I am currently going for my 5th starter clutch and sprocket. My bike has actually cracked the starter clutch housing 3 times so far. I am more interested in riding her than making her look pretty. I must find the right balance and respect both.

Michael
    Participant

Hi Keith,

here you go with a drawing of the balancer weight arrangement:

Cheers,
    Michael

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

I can not see the drawing Michael. Have you missed the link?

Michael
    Participant

My fault, pardon 😉
    I was looking to link this post to another thread “Twin without balancer mechanism” but couldn’t find it.
    Attached the pictures:

Cheers, Michael

keith52
    Participant

Michael
    Very clear, love it !
    Very helpful in understanding how the counter balance works.
    Keith

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this