new build

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dougyt
    Participant

What exactly do you mean by “new build”?

If it’s an old bike which hasn’t been run for several years:
    Fresh oil and filter are a must. Drain fuel tank and fill with fresh fuel. Start up and make sure the oil light goes out fairly quickly.

On a new engine, obviously fresh oil and filter are all taken as given. Start up and make sure the oil light goes out fairly quickly. Run for about a minute or so, switch off and check for leaks. After that start up and run at a fast idle for a few minutes, this helps “bed in” the camshaft and followers, as they can pick up on each other ripping out small bits of metal if run slowly.

In either case do not crank for too long if the engine isn’t starting, it won’t do the starter or engine any good to turn over for extended periods.

Anonymous
    Inactive

re built the entire bike apart from the engine. which i have reliably informed ran perfectly and has only covered 13K. its complicated unit that i did not want to touch unless i had to….
    fresh oils, plugs and filters. there is good compression before and all electrics work. i’ve just got the exhaust to sort before trying to start her up.

philpassingham
    Participant

dont bother with exhausts,the lightshow is unbeleivable in a dark garage lol 😀

Anonymous
    Inactive

any advise on a first run of a 1976 B1 not run for 5 years?

dougyt
    Participant

Exhausts are for wimps. Sounds pretty good as well as the light show without them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this