New Member Portsmouth UK

Home Forums New Member Introductions New Member Portsmouth UK

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jon
    Participant

Hi

Recently purchase a z750b2 as a project. It’s done 57000 miles and last used in 1989 previous owner (from new) seemed to be a bit of an engineer since mechanically it seems to have been looked after.

I have the original bill of sale, the buyer bought a set of alloy wheels at £20 extra back in 1981. It has a 2 into 1 exhaust (unknown brand). Original toolkit. But i can’t seem to find the valve shim tool???

Came with the kawasaki service manual which is a good sign. All body panels are in good condition frame has surface rust at at front and swing arm. Everything caked oil 1mm of oil…

I notice the front mud guard has dimples each side along where the rivets are – Is that normal or is that because it might be an aftermarket version?

I have the tank badges in a box – so will be looking to dig out the filler and put these back – maybe i’ll try and see inside the tank if there’s some emblem indentations

I’m going to get the engine running to get an idea of how much its going to cost…. This weekend i have checked the carbs (they looked brand new inside so obviously were cleaned prior to hibernation), timing tensioner was only 1/2mm out, changed the oil (the old stuff was still quite thick), battery installed (from my z650b)

Kicking over i have sparks, compression and sounds smooth and quiet.

I then i turned it over by starter without plugs in and every seems good, there was a slight increase in turnover revs as i guess the oil got around to where it was needed.

Just waiting on some new fuel lines and a ‘y’ piece so i can add some petrol – so should be running later this week.

If the engine runs ok i’ll be looking to strip down and powdercoat the frame – anyone know a good powdercoater near portsmouth?

coleighf
    Participant

Hi Jon, that certainly looks promising! Both mudguards look original, they’re as rare as hens’ teeth so worth hanging onto. There are light dimples on the front. I’ve got a 1978 B3 under restoration and close to finishing but the powder coaters and painters used aren’t anywhere near Portsmouth I’m afraid. Others who see this in the next few days might be better informed in that respect. I had a B1 from new in 1976 for four years and loved it. My brother bought a new Z650B1 from new at the same time and we did some happy miles together. I can’t remember now if the valve shim tool was in the kit, to be honest I never did the valve adjustment because it was dealer serviced all of the way through. I’m sure that when Andy (Kaptain Kwak!) sees this he will have things to add. It will be great to see your progress! Cheers, Colin.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hello Jon and welcome to our humble site.

That’s a great history you have there and  I feel very positive you have a great bike there requiring minimal effort to make it roadworthy.

Apart from the exhaust and obviously the paint job she does look very much original. That includes the front mudguard as those dimples are where the top mounting bracket is spot welded to the main part.

The tank badge mountings have been filled in when the respray was done. It will original have looked like this

The way you describe the engine also gives me confidence it will fire up without a problem so I don’t see any major expense there however should you need anything I can probably get it for you if I don’t have it already.

Regarding the timing chain that sounds like it is a little tight. When you turn the engine over by hand (Anticlockwise from the points side, yes this engine runs backwards) at the plunger rods farthest out point it should be flush with the body.

Have you got original Mikuni B38 carbs on? If so why do you need a Y piece? Each carb has it’s own line straight from the tap hence 2 outlets.

The last point is that the toolkit did not come with a shim tool. They are available from ebay though should you need one and I have all shim sizes in my stock of parts.

I cannot help you regarding a powder coaters. I have a great one here. I had the frame, swinging arm, yokes and all the brackets done for £120 but I am up north so a bit far to travel.

I look forward to seeing your progress.

Cheers

KK

Jon
    Participant

Hi

Thanks for the encouraging responses. I used the y piece to connect each carb to my one aux tank (not the main tank).

It fired up immediately (or after 5 seconds). It was running on choke without the airbox and a steady tickover…

Only thing i did find the the starter clutch is just whrring now so guess it’s either not engaging or stuck engaged. But i can deal with that later, at least i know its a runner.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

That is great news Jon. These engines are bullet proof when they have been looked after. Regular oil changes are a must.

The starter clutches are a bit of a weak point but are quite easily overhauled. Shout up if you need any help.

Cheers

KK

Jon
    Participant

Cheers KK,

I can probably sort it out. It looks a lot easier to do than the Z650. But then everything looks easier  to maintain on this bike… Could be bye bye z650 later

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this