Nils’ Aprilia AF1 Futura

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Your Lonesome and you Nils’ Aprilia AF1 Futura

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    Participant

Hi there,

my son Nils owns his first motorbike since Sunday !

The previous owner started to modify this bike with the complete fairing of a newer Aprilia 125. He started that 10 years ago ! In the meantime he lost interest in this project.
    So we have to finish the bike and sort several things out, meaning full disassambly and reassambly.

Nils is just at the driving school and should get his driving licence for max. 125 ccm, max. 15 HP, but unlimited speed by end of September.

Well, this bike from 1991 fits in that regulation with a reduction kit already fitted and top speed is still 125 km/h, 80 mph 😉
    Technical features are an aluminium frame, USD front fork and a (steel) single side swingarm !

Looks like we can do the first tour together this autumn 😉

Cheers, Michael

AERIAL0
    Participant

He should have fun riding the bike and taking it to the rev limiter.

Michael
    Participant

Hi there,

we are just back from our holidays 😉
    Will work on this bike over the next few weeks to get it up and running and TÃœV/MOTed.
    Some special things to do like modifying the upper fairing and cockpit carrier.
    Needs new tires and more.

We will see but I am willing to spend some money to see my son riding his first bike in operational and safe condition and with a lot of fun 😉

Bikes of this class are often controlled by the police to check if they are still reduced to max. 15 HP instead of using the full power setup with more than 30 HP !

We have to be careful !

Cheers, Michael

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hi Michael
    Sorry I missed this thread. That looks ike a great bike to start your riding life on.

From what i’ve seen you do before I have no doubt that Nils will be able to ride safely and with confidence in his machine.

Enjoy Nils and ride safe

KK

Michael
    Participant

Thank you, Andy !

Worked on this bike until Sunday, 3:30am, which means it was a long Saturday night !

All relevant things where checked and made good. We have found a lot of failures and loose screws, so we had to check nearly everything.

Engine started when we bought it and it started late Saturday night. Just engine revving, no riding. Suddenly it stopped working. Ok, we went to bed then.

Checked the typical things on Sunday:
    – Fuel is coming out of the fuel tap
    – Removed, cleaned and checked the carb – ok
    – Removed spark plug to check if there is a spark
    – Pushed the E-starter button (as there is no kickstarter built in) and WTF …

What is that for a big fontaine coming out of the spark plug hole ???

Well, we found it is a mixture of fuel (1:25) and engine coolant !

Ok, removed the cylinder head and found it was not fastened at all.
    Even more worse, the O-ring seal between combustion chamber and surrounding coolant “jacket” was wrongly mounted, partially pressed and destroyed.

All that allowed the coolant to enter the warming up engine.

Just ordered new gaskets/O-rings, turned the engine several times by E-starter. The fontaines became more and more less/low and we dried everything we could reach as good as we could.

We will see how this goes on after reassambling the gaskets and cylinder head correctly.

BTW: We found beautiful ignition sparks at the spark plug 😉

Cheers, Michael

PS: We hope to do the Sella Ronda in the italian Dolomites beginning of October with Nils on Aprilia and Maria and me on our Twins.

Nils as my pillion and me did it on our way home from holidays at Garda Lake (Lago di Garda). He is very impressed of the Sella Ronda and wants to do it on his own bike 😉

Pic shows Nils at Sella pass this Friday 28th Aug, wearing my jacket and featuring Maria’s LTD we have used for the trip.

Michael
    Participant

Update:

Nils driving school couldn’t manage the practical test (driving test) in time.
    In winter it is hard to get any test done due to danger of snow and ice.
    So it must be postponed to spring 2016.

We had much, much more work to do with this bike than expected. Hopefully all is sorted now.
    Next step is to pass the TÃœV / MOT examination. There are some major changes with this bike (mod rear frame of RS125 and it’s fairing) and we have to “press all our thumbs” to pass it successfully 😉

Have to bring the Aprilia via trailer to the TÃœV testing station, as there is no other legal alternative left in Germany.
    No riding on public roads allowed in this condition (more than 1 year not legally on the road). WTF !

Looking forward to a great bike season 2016 !

Cheers, Michael

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

She is looking good Michael.

Good luck with the TUV in spring but even more with Nils when he takes his test.

lonesome
    Participant

Hey Michael, I was just wondering if all the EU arrangements meant that your police would accept our MoT as a TuV? Our MoT is stupidly easy to pass 😉

Michael
    Participant

Hi Lonesome,

what I know about MOT it is not comparable to our TÃœV examination.

One thing is the technical examination, which might be the same with MOT and TÃœV.
    It ensures that the bike is working ok, especially the brakes and the lights.

The hard part with the TÃœV is that every major part of the bike is examined if it is the stock part (ex factory).
    Especially the tire sizes, exhaust system, air filter, steering bar, distance of flashers to each other, angle of number plate, length of mudguards and so on and so on are stock.

If that is changed within general limits, the engineer is looking for numbers/marks of the replacement product, is asking for some papers of this manufacturer for that product and of course it must be an official paper in a certain format. (Gutachten)
    If there is no “Gutachten”-paper available, you have to give information where this part is from (e.g. front fork and wheel and brakes from KZ750E (four cyl.) made in 1982. Have that vehicles max. weight, power, etc. on hand is a must.

All these changes are noted in the papers related to that bike.
    I attach as an example the papers of my Caferacer Twin.
    Of course it is in german language 😉
    The list and columns in the upper part of the paper are general information like VIN, Vmax, max. weight, etc.
    The lower part with a lot of text are the changes I have done to the bike and everything non stock is listed here.
    There is so much text that it doesnt fit on the first page. A second page is needed to list all of them.

Just the cost to get all these non-stock parts examined and written to the papers cost me about 1.100,- Euros !
    The cost of buying the parts is not included in this sum !

lonesome
    Participant

Jesus. How do they justify all this pointless gibberish? Our (car) MoT is bad enough, they check all sorts of things that are completely irrelevant to vehicle safety. I’m sure these paperwork exercises are purely aimed to force unnecessary work onto repair shops to keep them, and the bureaucrats, in business.

Michael
    Participant

Yesterday Nils’ Aprilia got the TÃœV !!!

I am very happy about that and now the bike is legalised for road use.
    Ok, still needs the insurance confirmation, official registration, new papers and a new number plate, but that is easy to achive (just queueing in an office) and not to expensive (lower than 50,- Euros).

Cost to get the TÃœV and the technical changes registered was about 200,- Euros.

Nils has a date for his practical driving licence test 7th of April, so we are just in time to start into a very special bike season 2016.
    Father and son on the road, everyone on his own bike 😉
    That will be fun !

Here a pic of the TÜVed Aprilia. No difference to earlier pics, but now it has a different shine/glance 😉

Cheers, Michael

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Brilliant news Michael and very well done.

Good luck to Nils although with you behind him I feel he will not need luck.

I remember the 1st time I rode with my Daughter Kerry on her own bike. It is a great Father feeling and I am looking forward to you doing the same.

Please keep us updated with Nils progress.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this