Oil Cooler adaptation

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Your Lonesome and you Oil Cooler adaptation

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Doctorot
    Participant

Anyone done this?

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

That looks very interesting Doctorot. I would like to see the finished article when its done.

chrislwg2
    Participant

Hi Doctorot,

I have fitted an oil cooler. Mine runs off a modified oil pump that is piggy backed  off the oil pump and the oil lines come out of the engine at the front of the sump and upto the cooler.

Doctorot
    Participant

Hi Chris. I’m interested in your oil pump setup, are you bypassing the filter? Can you elaborate or show some photos? The last engine I built I had a miss-shift and violent over rev resulting in oil pump cavitation and ended up with rod knock shortly after. I have been considering running a stand-alone electric oil pump to avoid this in the future.

-Vic

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Doctorot.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Doctorot.
    chrislwg2
    Participant

chrislwg2
    Participant

Hi Vic,

I used an old oil pump internals to make a pump to run piggy back off the main pump.

Chris

Doctorot
    Participant

interesting, so its a secondary pump system just for the cooler. Very tidy bike as well. I see you have it badged as a 865, what pistons are you running? other engine mods? I’m in the middle of a big bore build myself. Nice work. thanks for sharing.

-vic

marksav
    Participant

Very Interesting work ,nice to see !

chrislwg2
    Participant

Hi Vic and marksav,

The engine is a spare i had so i bored the crnk cases and cyl. block . Fitted new liners and had it bored and honed out to take 84mm pistons.

When i  got  it running it pinked severly so i fitted a second sprk plug , which cured the pinking.

marksav
    Participant

Superb work,how did you know the extra plug would cure the pinking? And what was the compression?

chrislwg2
    Participant

Hi marksav,

In 2006 we met the german 750 twin club at Deulin in Belgium. Martin Schetter had  an 865 he had done and i had a spare engine , so i made it into an 865 , keeping my original engine as it was.  when i had the 865 running there was severe pinking and when i mentioned it to Martin he told me of the second plug. So i fitted a second plug and it cured the pinking. the 865 has been in the bike since 2007 and runs perfectly well on same carbs and ign. timing. My starter motor copes with the extra compression, thankfully,  bescause i’d hate to have to kick start it. Power wise the only thing i’ve noticed is the extra torque. I had the pistons made in germany where Martin had his made, forgot the co. name.

Chris

marksav
    Participant

I see ,Clever those Germans ! And they love old Kawasaki’s.

chrislwg2
    Participant

Yes, they were a popular bike in Germany and the U S, not so in the U K,lol. There were 6 of us on 5 bikes, i’m on right , Andy, Kaptainkwak is far left. Lonesome, the 5th bike ,made his own way home

chrislwg2
    Participant

There were 20 bikes , out numbered by the Germans

marksav
    Participant

Great,do you have plans for a return?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this