Old Chop Starts after over 15 years

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Projects and Progress Old Chop Starts after over 15 years

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jimi5150
    Participant

The old chop looks a mess and the engine hasn’t been started for at least 15 years.  Using a loop and electrics from a B1 and hooked up to auxiliary fuel tank, a few kicks to get the fuel into the chambers and it fired up, I thought it would run for a few seconds then die, but it ticked over ok and didn’t die when given a some revs and very little smoke.  After a few mins it had to be switch off as the rocker cover gasket is leaking quite badly in a couple of places.  The chop frame will not allow the rocker cover to come off so engine will have to come out.  Compression is 90 on both cylinders but may improve my running it for a longer time, but valves gaps etc will be checked once the engine is out.  The frame getting in the way of the rocker cover has strengthened the case not to keep it as a chop.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

That is indeed good news and great progress.

The compression is obviously low and will need to be addressed (156 standard – 114 min with no more than 14 difference between cylinders). This could be down to several things but most likely will be valve clearances and/or stuck rings. Leaking head gasket could also cause this but I think you would have noticed that.

I can probably help you out with a standard frame and other parts if you need them.

Cheers

KK

Jimi5150
    Participant

Cheers KK I will most likely need help with a frame in future, as the parts I have are off  76 model I would be preferably be wanting a Kz750 B frame.  No doubt I will need help with other part too.

Jimi5150
    Participant

Got engine out and measured the valve gaps, sort off.  I can’t measure the gap on all valve as not even the thinnest gauge will go in, which will make getting the right shims a pain.  Order a shim tool for the next stage.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

The way to test for the correct shims required is to fit one that is too small (the smaller the better) then measure the gaps. This way you can work out what sizes are required.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this