Single carb?

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Technical Garage Single carb?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    richh
    Participant

Hi Guys, anyone done a single carb conversion?
    I want to fit one to my chopper , I can fabricate the manifold but wondered if anyone had already done it and what carb they used. I’m looking at SU’s or maybe a harley sporster carb jetted to suit

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hi Richh

Bolton440 has done it to his 440 bobber SINGLE CARB

It looks good and after some messing it runs very well.

It is also something I am interested in so if you can make the manifolds I would be very interested in one. Let me know a price

Michael
    Participant

Hi Richh,
    I step in and what a single carb manifold, too.
    Carb should be around 36 to max. 40 mm diameter.
    Dellorto (Moto Guzzi, Ducati) with accelerating pump would be great.
    Let me know if you can do it and what the price would be 😉
    Shipping to KK in UK or to me to Germany required.
    Cheers, Michael

richh
    Participant

Hi Guys, looked at the 440 single carb thread and it looks good.
    I’ll be able to make the manifold no problem but I’m very short on time due to work and family commitments so it may take some time.
    I need to get my B1 roadworthy (forks) and an easy starter first (very slow starter motor). I’ll be f****d if I have to kickstart the thing whilst trying to sort jetting.
    I’m favouring a harley sportster carb at the moment, it being available cheaply with a vast array of jet kits available too plus a bolt up flange keeps the inlet tract short.
    I’ll publish pics of the fab. work as I do it.

Bolton440
    Participant

Hi, the single carb manifold already came with the bike when I bought it however they are fairly easy to make.

A lot of people burn off the rubber on the original carb boots and use those for flanges. It’s important that when you join the mandrel bends to join the two to join together that it’s in the middle and there’s no blobs of weld or anything as I’ve read stories about people starving a cylinder of fuel slightly.

Also it’s a good idea to keep the manifold short as you can end up with fuel pooling, icing and general poor fuel economy.
    Ideally, the bands won’t be too tight either as fuel will hit the walls and pool there too.

I’ve also read that some people have used a 90 degree bend where the carb slots on so as the carb sticks out the side of the bIke due to not having enough space at the rear of the engine. This can also lead to starving a cylinder, usually the one nearest the carb as the fuel/air has to do a merry little dance to get to the cylinder.

I went with the vm34, parts are very easy to get, jets are in abundance and they are pretty cheap. I’ve had a few problems here and there with tuning it but that’s mainly down to my lack of experience with carbs. I’m very very close to having it perfect now and it rides great.

One other thing to remember when choosing carb sizes, the bigger the Venturi the more power you will have at the bottom end, sacrificing a bit of top end. And vice versa.

The throttle response on my 440 is similar to a crosser as it’s a big carb. I would be keen to try a vm32 in the future to see what it does to the top end.

Hope this helps in some way

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this