slow starter

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Technical Garage slow starter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    richh
    Participant

Hi guys, the starter motor on my B is verty slow and never starts the engine. I have yet to develop a starter technique and have an old knee injury that stops me kicking for hours. Any tips for the motor and tips for a first/second kick starter would be appreciated .

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Theses starters do tend to be sluggish. I would suggest you check all electrical connections are clean and making good contact. I would also suggest to refurb your starter motor. I also strongly recommend going for a different battery such as the mottbat one. There are plenty on ebay. They cost double or so the price of a lead acid type but physically are the same size and DO give out much stronger power when starting and also seem to hold their charge better. Ive left mine over 7 months and it has still started on the button

Cheers

KK

Michael
    Participant

Hi Richh,
    yes, check technical condition / electrical connections.
    Pay a lot of attention!

0.) Disconnect the battery !!!

1.) If you remove the PLUS cable from the starter, ensure that the bolt below doesn’t turn while you open the fastening nut. Turning the bolt will cut off the internal cables within the starter motor!

2.) If you remove the electrical starter motor from the engine case, you will have to open the alternator cover to fit it again.
    For that you will need a new alternator cover gasket. Get one before doing the job!

You may have to clean the “gaps” within the starter rotor from dust and “coal”-particles.
    Maybe new “coals” and springs will do the job.

Cheers, Michael

richh
    Participant

Thanks for the info guys.

KK, good to meet you last night, small world indeed!

I’ll come to you first next time I need anything.

Speaking of which I do need quite a few things;

Ltd fork legs inc top plugs

The little O rings for the air thing that links the forks

A good starter motor

The little starter cog (for my “bench test” engine for my chopper)

A cheap supplier of gaskets

I’d like a round front brake master cylinder suitable for twin discs too

That should keep me busy for a while

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hi Richh

I don’t know what your forks are off but they are not from a 750 twin. The twins didn’t have any air balancing pipes. I would guess maybe a 4 cylinder LTD.

If you don’t want to refurb your starter motor there is a company advertising refurbed starters on ebay.

Also I am not sure if you can get a round master cylinder for twin disc.

We have various gaskets but I doubt full sets. Will see what I can get together there.

Cheers for now

KK

dougyt
    Participant

Just adding in that a poorly solenoid can also cause the starter to be sluggish. If the contact tips inside are burnt they will induce a high resistance and lower the voltage to the starter.

richh
    Participant

kk think your right about forks, d and k doin vesrah gasket sets complete for 25 notes so will buy a couple of those. Who does the starters on ebay? be interested in price

richh
    Participant

hey dougy, I’ve had a car battery direct to the starter and its still slow. I’ll strip it out and have a look when time permits. It’s on my list. Luckily I have other bikes to use while im sorting it

Michael
    Participant

Hi richh,
    I have a customized Z750B with the front fork of a Z750GP/Z750E, four cylinders, 1982.
    There is a special kind of “balancer” used regarding the air pressurising system.
    Upper legs of the front fork have holes (right above lower stem), tube connected “cover rings” with inner 36mm diameter O-rings and a single air inlet valve is used at right fork leg.
    Please post some pictures of your bike / front fork here to give best advice.
    Cheers, Michael

richh
    Participant

Hi Michael, if you look in “introductions” and “new from solihull” you will see my bike with good pics of the forks. I think they are LTD forks off a 4 cylinder bike

Michael
    Participant

Hi Rich,

thanX for the hint 😉

OK, that front fork is different to the road versions used in Z750, 4-cyl.

Very interesting is the front wheel with 5 spokes. Usually at the beginning of the 80’s the wheels had 7 spokes!

Front brake seems to be similar to the ones used in LTD Beltdrive models (and other Kawasakis of course) from 1983 on.

What tire size do you have in the rear? It appears to be a 16″ as used in the chopper version or is it 18″ as used on the road versions?

Cheers, Michael

richh
    Participant

Hi Michael

I hadn’t noticed the front wheel was different!Perhaps an early GPZ wheel?

The rear is a 16inch but has 7 spokes.
    I think my front end is made up of several different bikes!
    It all fits together nicely, just leaks oil and air.
    The description of your gpz air valve set up sounds just like mine so I will look for those parts to fix my bike

Michael
    Participant

Hi Rich,

my front fork is from a Z750GP, this nomenclature was only used in 1982. On the side covers there is already a GPz750 logo on it.
    It should be the same front fork as used in the Z750E, made a lot of times in the early 1980’s.
    They all have 7 spoke wheels.
    5 spoke wheels came later.

Good luck!

Cheers, Michael

richh
    Participant

Update on the slow starter, found an hour today to swap starters, Bike now starts off the button! well pleased! need some good gaskets now tho!
    Will look into single carb as soon as I have forks sorted now

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

That’s great news Richh. I can’t find the ebay auction for the starter motor but I am still looking. I have found this though Starter Gear

The price for that gasket set is very good. Is it a complete set and are there more?

Cheers

KK

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this