Spark plugs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    KawaKurt
    Participant

Hi.

sorry, but I don’t know the English term, my spark plug are getting «black» after ca. 1000km. The bike is getting harder and harder to start. I don’t notice so much when driving. If I get a new set, it will start on first turn. Any ideas?

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hi KawaKurt

My apologise for such a late reply but I have been away.

This does look like you are burning to much fuel which could be several reasons, all relating to the carbs.

The first thing I would check is that the choke is working correctly. A choke stuck on could cause this. Secondly I would check the fuel mixtures are correct.

If not a fuelling issue then it is probably oil but that is less likely. In my experience of oil burning the plugs tend to be wetter.

If you need any help with the above please ask.

Which model of twin to are riding? This needs to be known to give more accurate advice.

Cheers

KK

KawaKurt
    Participant

Thanks for the reply KK. It’s a 77. The choke seems fine. If the fuel mix is wrong, what could be wrong?

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

A number of things could cause the issue. It could be mixtures not set right, blocked or incorrect jets, incorrect float levels or carb balancing for starters.

Have you removed and cleaned the carbs?

KawaKurt
    Participant

Thanks again for the feedback. I will take out the carbs in the winter. It seems like less of a problem when i drive long tours. Is it difficult to adjust the mixtures?

/Kurt

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this