Starter Clutch Warning….

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Technical Garage How To Fix It Starter Clutch Warning….

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    kwakanaka
    Participant

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr a nuclear design engineer, I thought you where kaptain kwak not kaptain kirk of the star ship enterprise 😮 😮

beam me up Scotty 😯

dougyt
    Participant

KK’s post was a typo, it was supposed to say UNclear not nuclear, cos most of his designs are unclear, like that strange accent he has.

speedy
    Participant

💡 trichlorothane 111 is an excellent industrial degreaser and with hind sight yest high tensile steel bolts would be better than stainless steel must have got my wires crossed with KK when talking about casing bolts

high tensile steel bolts are available in any shape or form size pitch thread and so on and so forth we have a very good fastener suppliers in poulton if any body needs anything getting to order

the loctite is avalible in several forms including mireral glass powder which is extreamly effective but i dont think it can be used submurged in oil

the only other solution is to get the plates fabricated in a different material KK got any titanium 😆

Laudanum
    Participant

Fair comment, I’m not saying that high tensile bolts are a bad idea, I just think that the problem is more due to the bolts coming lose in the first place than their strength.
    Soon find out if we all fit stronger bolts and the backplates start shedding their threads if there is a linear force.
    Couple of other things, at least if the bolts shear off the clutch just spins in situ, with high tensile there is nowhere for them to go. The second point is that there may be a reason why the bolts are en8, a standard en8 bolt has a degree of elasticity possibly to take up the shock loading from the starter clutch engaging.
    Could be you replace the bolts and move the problem elsewhere…

BiqueToast
    Participant
    Laudanum wrote:
    …I just think that the problem is more due to the bolts coming lose in the first place than their strength….

Agreed!

speedy
    Participant

💡 of course the other problem is as KK find out when thay dont snap thay come lose and start to wear down as thay contact the alloy casing high tensile will probley cutt through the alloy as will stainless

BiqueToast
    Participant
    speedy wrote:
    💡 of course the other problem is as KK find out when thay dont snap thay come lose and start to wear down as thay contact the alloy casing high tensile will probley cutt through the alloy as will stainless

Well, that’s *kinda’* what happened with my first 750.

All 3 were loose to varying degrees, but one had backed itself out to grinding against something… I assumed it was the starter sprocket…. until it finally got jammed enough to seize my engine and crack my starter clutch housing in half.

I can imagine that the screw could back out enough to catch the starter sprocket in one of the holes in the sprocket, and reach through it to the case. But that would cause the starter to start spinning wildly, and wouldn’t you notice the starter spinning first before the case damage? Perhaps KK can comment on this?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this