Valve Lifter Holder – will this fit?

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Technical Garage How To Fix It Valve Lifter Holder – will this fit?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Hans-Sweden
    Participant

Hi, Hans from Sweden here and I own a KZ 750 twin 1976.
    When adjusting the valves there was a special tool with part number 57001-501. This is now obsolete. Some people recommend to use 57001-1153 instead. Does anyone know if this holder will fit?

Michael
    Participant

Hi Hans,

it is the recommended tool after the other one is obsolete and should work.

To handle that tool it is important that the engine is complete. You can’t use it with the cylinderhead lying separately on the work bench.

How to use it ?
    First measure the valve clearance and note down the number 😉
    Ensure the small cut-out in the valve lifter can be reached.
    Turn the crankshaft until a cam lobe pushes the valve down. Stop and insert the “W” shaped metal piece under the camshaft and on the edge of the valve lifter. Turn the crankshaft further until lobe is pointing away from the valve.
    Remove the shim with the other tool from the valve lifter.
    Insert new shim, ensure it sits correctly and turn the crankshaft until lobe pushes the valve again.
    Remove “W”shaped metal piece.

Do it with the other valves in same way.

Good luck.

Cheers, Michael

PS: The printed number in the shim has to point away from the camshaft. That ensures readability even after use.

Hans-Sweden
    Participant

Hi Michael,
    Great! Many thanks. Your advice is most valuable, since it will be the first time I will do this operation.

There is a company in the Netherlands called CMS http://www.cmsnl.com who have parts for these older twins. Do you recommend them or should I contact some other parts supplier?

Best regards
    Hans

Michael
    Participant

Hi Hans,

CMSNL is a very good source for information 😉
    Especially their parts diagrams and the stock part numbers are great.

A lot of parts are not available anymore as NOS (new old stock) and CMS is dealing with that.

Their prices are quite high, as all the other NOS dealer have 🙁
    Shipping from CMS is expensive, check that before ordering anything.

Another well known supplier is PARTZILLA in the USA.

In the UK there is
    https://www.z1enterprises.com/

In Germany there is a guy looking after typical replacement parts for our Twins.
    You may find his parts list (in german language, but with pics) here:
    http://www.z750twin.de/ersatzteile.htm
    These are the old lists, updated ones available in the german Twin Forum or just sent me an e-mail and I will forward them to you.

BTW: The valve tool is available as aftermarket product and much cheaper there, but quality is not so good.
    I have ruined one of these cheap tools during first use.

Cheers, Michael

Hans-Sweden
    Participant

Hi again Michael,
    You really know a lot about this. I am very grateful for your information and support.

Yes, you are right about CMS high shipping costs. I just ordered the Valve lifter holder from them and shipping was EUR 23 for this little thing. Actual part price was roughly the same price as Partzilla’s.

Anyway, I am now looking forward to receiving the tool so that I can complete the service jobs and start riding the twin.

What do you think about parts in the future? Will we have problems or is it like vintage cars, companies will take up remanufacturing of obsolete parts?

I am restoring an Austin-Healey from 1959. (English two seater sports car), and I can get almost all parts for it – engine, gearbox and body parts. That way, you actually dare using the car.

Regards
    Hans

Michael
    Participant

Hi Hans,

most of the typical wearing parts (chain sets, carb repair kits, brake pads, etc.) are easily available on the market.

We have issues with some dedicated engine parts! Sometimes it is easier and cheaper to swap the complete engine instead of repairing the “old” one.

I expect that some parts like plastic side covers, mudguards, fuel tanks, etc. will never be offered as after market products.
    In these cases individual solutions or good, but used parts are required.

Also the exhaust system is causing trouble and there are many, many different solutions out there. Actually we (in Germany) are working on stainless steel downtubes (2-in-2 arrangement) for use with universal silencers.

Can’t see that the aftermarket will supply stuff for our Twins like you’ve mentioned with you car.

Cheers, Michael

BTW: To adjust the valve play you might need shims in a certain thickness. Measure the play, remove the shim, measure it’s thickness, calculate which shim sizes you need and post here which shims you are looking for.
    We may help you 😉
    Have a look at this document:
    http://www.z750twin.de/documents/Ventilspielprotokoll%20Kawasaki%20Z%20750%20Twin.pdf
    Ok, it is in german language but maybe you can recognise what it is all about 😉

Hans-Sweden
    Participant

Hi Michael,

That is a very good document for valve adjustment and I did understood it quite well. I will print it and use it.

Parts for these bikes are as I expected…. The twins seem quite unusual here. I think people in those days bought either the three cylinder two stroke or the four stroke for cylinder bikes. I do not think I have seen one other twin…

I am now just waiting for the valve tool and then I will get started on the valves.

Talk to you again, and thanks for your advice.
    Cheers
    Hans

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hi Michael
    Thank you for picking up on this and advising Hans in much more detail than I could.
    It is great when community’s can help each other like this.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hi Hans
    If you are in need of any shims I can probably source them for you at very reasonable prices.
    Just let me know what sizes you want.
    Cheers

Michael
    Participant

Hi KK,
    good to see you back in the Forum and being helpful as always 😉

Hi Hans,
    as I said before, we (four Twinriders from Germany) are doing the great Norway tour in June 2016.
    We will be back in Germany before 1st of July and attend the Z750Twin Meeting 2016.
    http://www.z750twin.de/treffen_2016.htm

Exact date and time of ferry transfer is not fixed yet, but will be no later than Th. 30th of June. It is still a long way from Hirtshals (DK) to Warstein, where the meeting will take place. We want to be there no later than Fr. 1st of July in the afternoon/early evening.
    You may join us and you will see approx. 30 Z750Twins 😉

Cheers, Michael

PS: Please send me an e-mail with your contact details.

Hans-Sweden
    Participant

Hi Michael and KaptainKwak,

Norway is beautiful for touring so if the weather is nice to you, you will have a lovely ride.

I live on the east coast 100 km south of Stockholm. There are very nice touring roads here too with little traffic. Lovely countryside. So please let me know if you would be interested in spending a few days here too.

Today I received the valve lifter tool from CMSNL. With shipping and VAT the total cost was almost EUR 90 for this very simple little tool.

Is there a demand for these tools? If so, I could ask around the workshops here if they could make a batch. What do you think?

My e-mail is hans.rainer@tele2.se

Happy Easter
    /Hans

Hans-Sweden
    Participant

Hi,
    Yes please, I would be very grateful if you could assist me or connect me with someone who has valve shims.

The sizes I need are:

2,50 m.m. = quantity 2
    2,65 m.m. = quantity 2

How do we arrange payment ?

Best regards and many thanks for being so helpful.

Hans

Michael
    Participant

Hi Hans,
    I am interested in the “W”-shaped tool only.
    I do not need the lever tool to remove the shim.
    Lets see if there is some more interest.
    Skål, Michael

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hi Hans

Yes I have all 4 shims you need.

Do you have a paypal account? paypal is much cheaper than a bank transfer.

Cheers

KK

Hans-Sweden
    Participant

Hi,
    Oh…. this is fantastic. Makes me really happy. Yes I have i Paypal account, so that way of payment should work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this