Wheels

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Leema
    Participant

Cheers for the tip about the toothpaste Lonesome.

I have ordered some rub n buff in pewter to try on the spokes. I will let you know how I get on with it.

Still trying to find out if the cast wheels from a 1980 Ltd will fit straight on to a CSR. If not anyone got a rear wheel for a CSR as my one has a big dent in it.

Frame etc off for powder coating on Sat.

Lee

lonesome
    Participant

You’re welcome Leema. My only other tip is that BBQ lighting fluid is one of the best hand cleaners going. Oh, and that cleaning off rust is like dieting – the more you lose, the faster it comes back 🙁 Good luck with the wheels.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Sorry Leema I have not forgotten about your wheels. I haven’t had time yet to get out and search. I do hace a CSR rear wheel for sure with a reasonable hub but damaged hub. I also have a pair of alloy rim spoke wheels I ran my CSR on for a few years. Please give me a little time (weekend) to get out there and look properly

beachcomber
    Participant

And the price for the wire spoked alloy rims is ??????????????????

Leema
    Participant

Hi KK

Did you get a chance to get down the workshop to see the wheels. Ali rims sound interesting.

Lee

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Sorry Leema I didn’t. Rush job came up. Will do my best one night this week. Spare wheels are at the back so I need to move everything out to get to them.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Right here we go;

I’ve taken some pics of the wheels I have spare.

The chrome rear wheel is not in the best of condition but it is useable and the rim is true. There is a defect in the drum as shown in the pictures. The bike was being used and stopped fine with this but if I was going to use it I would get it repaired. It is a bit rusty on the spokes and one side but not a problem if being painted.

The alloy rim wheels are spot on just needing a bit of a clean. They are not from a 750 twin. When I had these on my CSR I put an extra couple of washers on the rear axle to line the sprockets up and also a couple of washers under the caliper bracket to line up the disc. I have only remoced them from my CSR as I have put twin disc front end on and the right caliper could not be spaced to the disc.

I will be keeping the tyre.

Leema
    Participant

Hi KK
    Thanks for the photos and effort. The steel rim is too rusty for me.
    The ali rims look good but its a shame they are not for the twin. Was the wheel alinement correct when you spaced the wheel out to line the sprockets up?
    Have been down the workshop today with a panel beater friend of mine working on the rear wheel. Two of the dent where just on the outer rim that he managed to sort out. Probably caused by a butcher changing the tyre. The other flat spot on the rim can be sorted with a bigger hammer and block.I have wire wheeled the spokes and they have come up great. Just have to work out how to stop them rusting again Will keep you posted.
    Lee

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

I just used standard washers. Had the wheels on mine for at least 3 years and they were spot on.

No worries Leema. Good luck with your repairs

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this