Reply To: poser

Home Forums General Everything Else poser Reply To: poser

Endless, Nameless wrote:
route66paul wrote:
Endless, Nameless wrote:
Still not sure quite how I ended up in the situation, but I’ve set myself the aim of getting a z750 twin in the next 4 years. I’ll get a smaller bike first once I’ve got me test (still on for this summer) and get a zed when my restrictions up, which should coincide with me not being a lazy student and getting a real job.

I have this feeling that you are using Brit slang. As an American. I am not up on all that.

1. what does “I’ll get a smaller bike first once I’ve got me test” mean?

2. What is a zed? and what restrictions are you waiting out?

Ahh, now over here, you can take a “CBT” (complusory basic training) which allows you to ride a moped (aged 16) or from 17 onwards any 125cc or less motorbike. Which is why I’ve got a honda cg125 at the moment!
Once you’ve done that you can take your full test, which I what I was referring to in your first point. If you are under 21, the “full” bike test restricts you to riding a bike that produces under 33hp, hence my comment about buying a smaller bike, smaller bike being a smaller one than a z750 twin, which is what I was referring to by “zed” by the way.

The restriction I was on about is the 33hp restriction I mentioned above. As long as you take your test before you are 21 this restriction runs for 2 years. You can take the test any age after 17. If you are over 21 you can do direct access which lets you ride any bike straight off.

So my plan is to do my full test this summer, buy a smaller bike thats at least closer to the 33hp limit than a z750, run that for a couple of years, then buy a z750 when I can enjoy it without restrictions!

When do they let you take your training wheels off?

I thought Big Brother was bad here. A bike under 17hp can not get on the freeway, or main roads. Technecally, you didn’t have to have a MC stamp the ride them, but don’t dare get caught driving a 2 wheel with an engine that is bigger than a moped without the stamp. They even have a special one for 3 wheelers now. Anyone with a MC stamp on thier license can ride any motorcycle legally, but they must be insured. This has been a problem, because some 18 yr old kid goes off and buys a Hurricane or a Hayabusa and doesn’t make it home from the dealer, or some old guy tries to ride a foot clutch bike or old right hand shift and/or long extended and/or raked forks, and gets hurt.

I think that 3 or 4 months should be long enough to get some experiance to step up to a larger bike. If you ride in town or on slow roads, a small bike is fine, but if you are stout like I am and you ride on freeways, major roads, you are much safer to have over 50 hp(better yet 100hp) to get around the lorries and thier double trailers.

I assume that 21 is the age or majority there. Here it is 18 except for gambling or drinking.

Share this