poser

Home Forums General Everything Else poser

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    Laudanum wrote:
    Steady on, we are starting to sound like harley riders ‘if you don’t ride one you wouldn’t understand’.
    What a crock, had a 60’s ironhead sportster 1000 and an evo 883 five speed and they were bloody awful.
    Also restored a 56 A10 gold flash beezer, it was a bit dull really.
    A 750 twin is a good bike and it doesn’t need bulling up, the reason we all wound up here is beacause we found that out for ourselves.

You have to understand that the Sportster (an evo 883 is also a Sportster) was HD’s answer to the Brit bikes of the 50s and 60s. When most of ue HD riders talk about HDs, we are speaking about the bigger brother, be it a 63in, a 74in, an 80in, an 88in, a 96in, or any of the built ones. Riding one of those is like riding a charger as opposed to a palfrey.

You like the 750 twin because of the bottom end torque which is better than most other motorcycles. This is why we love our “tractors with 2 wheels”.

Endless Nameless
    Participant
    route66paul wrote:
    Endless, Nameless wrote:
    Still not sure quite how I ended up in the situation, but I’ve set myself the aim of getting a z750 twin in the next 4 years. I’ll get a smaller bike first once I’ve got me test (still on for this summer) and get a zed when my restrictions up, which should coincide with me not being a lazy student and getting a real job.

I have this feeling that you are using Brit slang. As an American. I am not up on all that.

1. what does “I’ll get a smaller bike first once I’ve got me test” mean?

2. What is a zed? and what restrictions are you waiting out?

Ahh, now over here, you can take a “CBT” (complusory basic training) which allows you to ride a moped (aged 16) or from 17 onwards any 125cc or less motorbike. Which is why I’ve got a honda cg125 at the moment!
    Once you’ve done that you can take your full test, which I what I was referring to in your first point. If you are under 21, the “full” bike test restricts you to riding a bike that produces under 33hp, hence my comment about buying a smaller bike, smaller bike being a smaller one than a z750 twin, which is what I was referring to by “zed” by the way.

The restriction I was on about is the 33hp restriction I mentioned above. As long as you take your test before you are 21 this restriction runs for 2 years. You can take the test any age after 17. If you are over 21 you can do direct access which lets you ride any bike straight off.

So my plan is to do my full test this summer, buy a smaller bike thats at least closer to the 33hp limit than a z750, run that for a couple of years, then buy a z750 when I can enjoy it without restrictions!

philpassingham
    Participant

good man i say,got his biking life mapped out 😀

Endless Nameless
    Participant

Still havent got my CBT yet… hopefully will do in a fortnight though. Need a back tyre for the cg too then we’re rolling. Delay has been while I waited for my paper license to get from home to my uni house.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Reet mon.

Bein from upnorf i can ken owt e sez coz we are thonly uns int UK that talks proper.

dougyt
    Participant

Well that was either Kwak speaking his native language, or he has serious keyboard problems, maybe both.
    As I’ve yet to hear anyone actually speak like that in my part of the country I’m assuming he needs a new keyboard, and soon.

philpassingham
    Participant

he has one of those new dyslexic keyboards,brilliant invention,i also have one, i will switch it off and show you the difference, tjdodl heiuejd gavzczoiom kk rjd cbncio p nsvdtdf jkdirhfj ,makes perfect sense to me.

Endless Nameless
    Participant

I talks loike a farmer I do. Bloody townay toipes takes they piss they does, damn ’em.

At least down here I can understand the locals, as they talk pretty similar down Devon to us up in Gloucestershire!

Don’t have a bloody clue what folk’s is on about when I visit the grim Northlands mind…

BiqueToast
    Participant
    Endless, Nameless wrote:
    …At least down here I can understand the locals, as they talk pretty similar down Devon to us up in Gloucestershire! ….

I’m from up north in the Bloodpressureshire…

…bah thuh way, yew awl soun’ funny tuh may….

🙄 😆

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Endless, Nameless wrote:
    route66paul wrote:
    Endless, Nameless wrote:
    Still not sure quite how I ended up in the situation, but I’ve set myself the aim of getting a z750 twin in the next 4 years. I’ll get a smaller bike first once I’ve got me test (still on for this summer) and get a zed when my restrictions up, which should coincide with me not being a lazy student and getting a real job.

I have this feeling that you are using Brit slang. As an American. I am not up on all that.

1. what does “I’ll get a smaller bike first once I’ve got me test” mean?

2. What is a zed? and what restrictions are you waiting out?

Ahh, now over here, you can take a “CBT” (complusory basic training) which allows you to ride a moped (aged 16) or from 17 onwards any 125cc or less motorbike. Which is why I’ve got a honda cg125 at the moment!
    Once you’ve done that you can take your full test, which I what I was referring to in your first point. If you are under 21, the “full” bike test restricts you to riding a bike that produces under 33hp, hence my comment about buying a smaller bike, smaller bike being a smaller one than a z750 twin, which is what I was referring to by “zed” by the way.

The restriction I was on about is the 33hp restriction I mentioned above. As long as you take your test before you are 21 this restriction runs for 2 years. You can take the test any age after 17. If you are over 21 you can do direct access which lets you ride any bike straight off.

So my plan is to do my full test this summer, buy a smaller bike thats at least closer to the 33hp limit than a z750, run that for a couple of years, then buy a z750 when I can enjoy it without restrictions!

When do they let you take your training wheels off?

I thought Big Brother was bad here. A bike under 17hp can not get on the freeway, or main roads. Technecally, you didn’t have to have a MC stamp the ride them, but don’t dare get caught driving a 2 wheel with an engine that is bigger than a moped without the stamp. They even have a special one for 3 wheelers now. Anyone with a MC stamp on thier license can ride any motorcycle legally, but they must be insured. This has been a problem, because some 18 yr old kid goes off and buys a Hurricane or a Hayabusa and doesn’t make it home from the dealer, or some old guy tries to ride a foot clutch bike or old right hand shift and/or long extended and/or raked forks, and gets hurt.

I think that 3 or 4 months should be long enough to get some experiance to step up to a larger bike. If you ride in town or on slow roads, a small bike is fine, but if you are stout like I am and you ride on freeways, major roads, you are much safer to have over 50 hp(better yet 100hp) to get around the lorries and thier double trailers.

I assume that 21 is the age or majority there. Here it is 18 except for gambling or drinking.

Endless Nameless
    Participant

Dunno, most things seem to be 18 over here- I can’t think of anything you can legally do aged 21 that you can’t do aged 18, except take your “Direct Access” bike test!

Of course, whether you pay any attention to the >33hp rule is another matter entirely 😉 I know quite a few don’t, so long as you don’t get pulled by the cops for doing anything silly and they go to the bother of dyno testing the bike you should be fine. As I’ll be riding round on some old jap 400 (or the GS550 I’ve been offered if I can find the cash 😀 ) I doubt the cops will bother much with me.

Anonymous
    Inactive

In the states I think licensing is done on a state by state basis. Here in Texas one can get a full motorcycle license at the age of 16. I know I did. Also, you can legally ride any bike 100cc or under from the ages of 13-15 without any license, though you had better do your riding in the dirt lol

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this