750b 1976 owner

Home Forums New Member Introductions 750b 1976 owner

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    leejohn
    Participant

Hi to everyone. My name is lee and have various bikes and one being the b. Owned for a couple of years and ride it all the time and  I would say my main ride.  Sorry should mention  I’m from up north…goole. I find it very comfy so tend to ride it the most. Please don’t judge me when I upload images as I bought it like that. Please let me know, should l leave it or change it? It has a few problems at the mo. Broken engine bolt and yes the usual starter clutch. With a little help from Andy I got it off and found it cracked. Luckily got spare with it so now replaced, just waiting for gasket. Help needed; can I buy just the gasket or do I have to buy the full set? Re-wired in headlight as it was held together with twisted wires with tape round every connection. Now has nice bullet connectors as it should. I thought I would show how I removed Broken bolt as it might help others. I know some fear this but I have done many over the years and have a few ways depending on the type of break. That’s it for now.

Thanks.

Leejohn

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hello Leejohn  and welcome to our site.

Yes  you have probably the most common ailment of these bikes, the electric starting problem. I am familiar with stud removal but it is always helpful to see how others deal with the problem because as you say the method you use varies with the type of break.

I look forward to seeing pics of your old girl. You won’t be judged on it’s condition but whichever way you decide to go i’m sure you will get advice. Please add the pictures to this post and not your profile as no one will know they are there.

I will check what gaskets I have. You can usually get them off ebay singularly but in my opinion it’s far more economical to buy a full set at the right price.

Cheers

KK

leejohn
    Participant

Hi Kaptainkwak, thanks for the message and I have added this photo which has a pic of the old girl but will put more on later.
    Thanks.
    Lee.

leejohn
    Participant

Hi to all,

a quick update of my starter clutch. Strangely fitted my new starter clutch with the washer as it was missing when I stripped….it locked the engine. Had a chat with Andy and we thought maybe wrong washer. Washer fine and the correct size…to cut a long story…the inner chamfer was warn so was allowing it to go on too far which jammed the engine. Anyway had another and it works fine.

Thanks to Andy for your help and advise.

Been using the old girl for a wile this year when its been warm.

Thanks.

Lee.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

No problem. It is what we are here for. Discussions and opinions can and do solve issues.

mtrower
    Participant

hello Lee in the same neck  of the woods  as you will keep  a look  out for  you on the road .I hope  you sort the problems  out ,a lot on at this time so my b2 is on the back burner

leejohn
    Participant

Hi all,

been using the old girl over summer and she never missed a beat.

went down to bike shed in London and rode in from a hotel just outside.

bike shed was great and the Londoner’s had a good welcome. Quite a lot kept stopping us to ask about our bikes, wile we were on the road at the lights….London is a lot better to get around than it used to be….

I would recommend you go to the bike shed show if you get the chance. we called at ace café it made a great weekend.

The old girl still misses all the time but still on points so no surprise there.

That’s all for now.

Thanks.

Lee.

Tango
    Participant

Hi Lee

Nice to have Another B on the road.

Mines also a 1976 B1 … so that’s even more people to poke our beloved leader with a stick to get his B1 sorted!..

photo is of KK… my wife Sam and myself.

Once I’d mostly completed my Twin

We bought one for my wife.. a lesser spotted Belt Drive… lovingly nicknamed Maggie for nicking Shiney working bits of mine!

leejohn
    Participant

Hi Tango, thanks for the reply,nice to see others with same bike.

Back of summer and the old girl has given up on me. No spark. Checked coils, ok, checked wring and Found a few corodid wires. Repaired these and also replaced joints with nice bullet connectors. Some joints had twisted wires with tape around..poor.

anyway started her up and she purred. Went out and she did it again. Managed to limp back. Gonna check a few more things, but Iwounder if this is why she allways had the miss fire that I could never solve. Lets see how if it goes when I solve the problem.

hoppfully easier to find now has I have no spark at all.

Tanks.

Leejohn

l

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this