Hi Folks

Home Forums New Member Introductions Hi Folks

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mikeonabike
    Participant

Hi Folks thanks for letting me join your site, My little KZ adventure started back in 1980 when a friend lent me his Triumph Bonneville for a day to try it out, I was immediately smitten by the big twin engine and new that was what I had, Then the exhaust fell off so I bought a Moto Guzzi LeMans instead (Which I still have.
    I am still a believer that bikes are best with just two cylinders.
    I have been looking at Ebay for a while putting small bids just to see what happened then this one came up recently and I new it was the one for me.
    A five hundred mile trip to collect it from Norfolk and its back home.
    It was imported to the UK in 1990 and is not in bad condition, I don’t do restorations as I like bikes in there original platina so I intend to get the frame plastic coated, the seat recovered, an exhaust made up and that’s about it.
    I am from Yorkshire so if you see it around please give me a wave.

AtLarge
    Participant

Nice bike Mike. Doesn’t need much.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hi Mikeonabike and welcome to our humble forum.

That’s a great introduction andI do like your philosophy on restoration.

Your bike looks in pretty good shape. I can possibly help with an exhaust depending on just what your looking for.

Enjoy the site

KK

Mikeonabike
    Participant

Hi KK and thanks.
    I have several options available for front pipes.
    (1) Find some off another bike that will fit.
    (2) Get some made.
    (3) See what you have 😉

For silencers
    (1) I have a pair of cans from a TL1000. (Sound nice but wont look right)
    (2) I have a pair of silencers from a TRX850 (Sound nice but wont look quite right)
    (3) I have a pair of upswept silencers from a Honda CB350K4 (Look like original KZ but will need cutting open and some of the baffles removing)
    (4) Fit some shorty reverse cone loud megaphones. (Look and sound loud)
    (5) See what you have 😉

Has anyone got any more ideas??

I don’t like 4 cylinder bikes with noisy exhausts but a big twin with a deep tone is not so bad!!

Mike

lonesome
    Participant

I’ve got a set of Predators gathering dust. They’re in decent nick but I’ll need to find a way to get my replacement set clear of my centrestand first. But give us a msg if desperate.

ps. I bid against you on that bike, so it’s good to see you around 😎

Mikeonabike
    Participant

“Buggar” I wish I had known you before I bid on that bike, we could have had a pre-nuptial agreement not to bid against each other 😉
    I bid £1500 on this one as it was better than the one that is still on ebay and that is on a buy it now for £1500 although it is sold.
    I am not in a rush for an exhaust yet as it is a winter project and I wont have it on the road until next spring when my insurance is due for renewal.
    Are the Predators Downpipes/Silencers or both?

Mike

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Front pipes.
    (1) Find some off another bike that will fit.
    No one so far has found any other downpipes that fit.

(2) Get some made.
    Quite expensive. From what I know it will probably cost £200plus in St/St

(3) See what you have 😉
    I have a set of original standard CSR pipes. The downpipes have been wrapped and the silencers are solid and quite decent condition

Silencers
    (1) I have a pair of cans from a TL1000. (Sound nice but wont look right)
    YAK

(2) I have a pair of silencers from a TRX850 (Sound nice but wont look quite right)
    YAK

(3) I have a pair of upswept silencers from a Honda CB350K4 (Look like original KZ but will need cutting open and some of the baffles removing)
    YAK

(4) Fit some shorty reverse cone loud megaphones. (Look and sound loud)
    NICE. I have slash cuts

(5) See what you have 😉
    As 3 above

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

The Predator system is a 2 into 1 with a gorgeous sounding short stubby can. I think there is a picture of my CSR with one on the front page

Mikeonabike
    Participant

Hi
    The Predator dosn’t look to bad, give me a shout when and if you do want to get rid of it.
    I tried one of the front underslung pipes off my race 350K4 and it seemed to fit quite well, I will try the other side at a later date and if it fits I can always buy another pair £90. http://www.swarbrick-racing.co.uk/
    I do have a welder and have made many silencers in the past, I keep intending to have a go at “Hydroforming” but as yet not got around to it.(Hmmm thinking now might be the time)

Mike

lonesome
    Participant

I think it’s a bit odd that people have chopped, bobbed, trailed, caféd and even rodded these bikes, but a simple set of downpipes has defeated all but Predator and MAC (hint, don’t get the MAC ones, a can of Stella has better metal).

Doubtless Michael will be along shortly to show us where to get a lovely set for more Euros than it costs to get to Greece on a punctured Rib.

That Swarbrick link is new to me, and looks damn promising. Nice one.

philpassingham
    Participant

bsa a10 is almost a good fit,also i had a norton siamese set of downpipes fitted on one of mine

Mikeonabike
    Participant

Cheers Phil
    There is a set of A10s on e-bay now.
    Obviously an option

Mike J

philpassingham
    Participant

need a bit of bending to fit exact

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this