How to change to Tax exempt

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Technical Garage Tips and Ideas How to change to Tax exempt

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jon
    Participant

Hi

Wonder if anyone can help me confirm sufficiently in the dvla eyes the date of manufacture of my bike?

The dvla says ‘If your vehicle was built before 1 January 1980, you can stop paying vehicle tax from 1 April 2020.’

My bike was registered on 25 Jan 1980 – so i would think it was built before that but is there any way i can get a precise date?

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hi Jon

Has the bike still got the label on the headstock next to the chassis number? That tells you the actual date of manufacture and from my experience is generally the year before the date of registration. If not Kawasaki can supply a letter that confirms when that frame was made. I think it’s around £55 which is more than a years tax so cheaper to wait.

KK

Jon
    Participant

Only a black  sticker with something like E11  then 10R-24T  below it

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Jon.
    Jon
    Participant

Hi KK

When you say cheaper to wait does that mean in April this year it”l be automatically tax exempt?

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

The vehicle needs to be 40+ years old on the 1st of January prior to the 1st of April of the same year.

This is the current wording on the Government website

Historic vehicle tax exemption
    You can apply to stop paying for vehicle tax from 1 April 2020 if your vehicle was built before 1 January 1980. You must tax your vehicle even if you do not have to pay.

This will change pro rata this year to

Historic vehicle tax exemption
    You can apply to stop paying for vehicle tax from 1 April 2021 if your vehicle was built before 1 January 1981. You must tax your vehicle even if you do not have to pay.

As yours is registered after the 1st January 1980 you did not qualify last year. On the 1st January 2021 yours was 40+ so from 1st April 2021 you do qualify so we only have Jan, Feb and March where tax would need to be paid which is about £25 for all 3 months, Therefore financially it would not be worth paying Kawasaki £55 to prove it’s age when the maximum you would pay in tax till then is only £25.

Again from my experience if you take your log book to he post office and submit a change to historic vehicle the system automatically knows it does NOT require a valid MOT and also does NOT require a payment for tax. You still need to apply for tax every year but won’t be charged.

You also need to be mindful of the following:

What you have to do
    You must apply for a vehicle tax exemption to stop paying vehicle tax. This is sometimes called putting a vehicle into the ‘historic tax class’.

You do not have to apply to stop getting an MOT for your vehicle each year. However, you must still keep it in a roadworthy condition.

You can be fined up to £2,500 and get 3 penalty points for using a vehicle in a dangerous condition.

Not needing an MOT makes it your responsibility to ensure the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition and not doing that could turn out to be a very expensive bald tyre, worn chain, faulty brakes etc!

KK

Jon
    Participant

Cheers KK.

It’ll likely be April before its on the road anyway (all the time its wet and cold i’m not working on it).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this