New twin on the block

Home Forums New Member Introductions New twin on the block

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Duffy
    Participant

Hi,

Having sold my last bike about 20 years ago, and kids grown up I thought it’s now or never. I bought an unregistered 1979 kz750 US import. After what seemed forever, ( only about three weeks) now road legal. Did the usual cleaning out of old fuel, new fuel pipes, carbs cleaned, oil change, plugs and filters etc etc I’ve ridden it out just three times. Not running right on right hand cylinder. Carb adjustment improved it a bit but still not right. Would anyone be able to tell me best place in UK to get coil plugs and condenser.

I was pleased to find lonesome twin online

Trudie

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hi Trudie and welcome to the site.

As I am sure you have already seen there is much information to help you with your New kid lol.

As a 1979 bike I would guess you have a B4 model. Please post pics up.

Where are you based?

I would suggest M&P for the parts you want although plugs can be bought from almost any bike or auto shop. There is a link to M&P in our suppliers section.

Cheers

KK

Duffy
    Participant

I am just outside of Southampton. I’m hoping images will follow as they don’t show on preview but back to the drawing board if they don’t!!!

AERIAL0
    Participant

Welcome to the site and a good bunch of guys to help out re any problems to solve. Bike looks good. Still restoring mine and half way through, I hope.

Duffy
    Participant

Thanks for the reassurance re guys to help with advice. It shows just 7000 miles on clock? Still has original exhausts and appears original paint work etc. maybe it’s abit shinier than when I got it but it is as I bought it. I’ve been trying to sus out how to find link kk suggested. I was wondering if it has a weak spark on right plug if that would cause the problems I’m having. There is a slight weap from tacho cable which from looking on site here isn’t a unique problem but still finding my way around site!

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

My mistake Duffy the link isn’t there. This is it M&P

They only list items for B1 and B2 but most are interchangeable. I advise ringing them and telling them what you want as again some parts are generic and not listed to the model.

Also you can ring Phil at Z-Power

Speak to Phil and tell him you are a member of the lonesometwin site and Andy put you onto him and you will get discount.

I remember seeing your bike on ebay. It did look good then but looks much better now.

We are having a run to Ace Café a week on Sunday (26th) as part of our 10th anniversary. It is Kawasaki day and as far as I can see there haven’t been any 750 twins there. How do you fancy joining us?

lonesome
    Participant

Hey Trudie, welcome, nice to have a southerner around! Be assured that random ignition hassles are the very hallmark of Lonesomedom. There’s a couple of different types, some have ballast resistors, some don’t but what none of them have is either quality or reliabilty. It should be dead simple – you get one set of breakers driving one coil wrapped around 2 HT coils. Because of the way the engines laid out you end up with a spark every revolution, one of which is wasted coz of the 4-stroke cycle.

What this all means is that if it’s only one side, it can’t be the points or the condenser, which are of course the easy bit. It could be the spark plug, but that would be way too easy. No, it’s either the carb or the ignition. Carbs are simple, but the ignition coil is a real PITA to even get at, let alone replace.

Virtually all my bikes have had this at some point, often at some particular temperature, either cold or hot. Mostly a ‘new’ coil has fixed it, but these aren’t thick on the ground these days, although the old 4’s used the same system, so their coils can often be persuaded to do the job. Other times the trouble just inexplicably goes away.

So what you have there is a ‘feature’ not a ‘fault’. Enjoy 🙂

Duffy
    Participant

Thanks kk for the invite sounds great but still having a few teething problems and feel it might be asking to much of the old girl at this stage but I hope you have a good turn out to mark the anniversary.

Lonesome advice is invaluable, thank you, I will post updates in techi section. She is certainly showing character!!! Obviously hasn’t been run for a long time but I hope to resolve issues soon!

I think there is still carb issues so back to the drawing board but I will try and source a coil as well as I don’t think it would hurt. It has single coil, do you know if they are split? Swapped plugs and leads but still not right on right cylinder Aaah!!!! Hope it’s a long summer lol!

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

What better way to discover and solve your teething issue than a run to the Ace Café lol. The turn out so far is a disappointing 4.

If you have swapped the HT leads over and the same problem exists then that tells me your ignition system is fine.

Have you had the carbs balanced? Being a twin they are very sensitive to this.

Also what is the condition of the carb rubbers? An are leak can also cause running issues and at 36 years old rubber will be perishing. Also the diaphragm in the right carb maybe faulty. A reasonably accurate and quick check is to lift both sliders through the airbox side and let them drop at the same time. They should drop at the same speed.

Duffy
    Participant

Hi kk

Thanks for the advice it really is appreciated, I am on a steep learning curve!

AERIAL0
    Participant

So am I. But getting there . Stick with it and with the help of the members on the forum you shall have a bike that runs as it should.

Duffy
    Participant

Yeehaa!!!! Just ridden for about 15 miles ran as sweet as, nothing fell off , no blown fuse just lost tick over about five miles from home. Being as a lot of you seem to be oop North like you say up there I was chuffed

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Result Duffy and well done you.

Have you balanced the carbs and did you clean them?

It will probably settle down better after you get a few miles under your belt.

Duffy
    Participant

The carbs have been cleaned but not balanced with gauge as yet. I have one perished but pugged up carb to air box hose that I am not at all confident it isn’t still leaking so I need to sort that first. I’m just getting impatient!!!!

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

There is a way round the airbox to carb rubbers. You can buy car steering rack universal gaiters and cut them to suit. Yorkshire Kaye knows more about this.

Alternately I can sell you a used one. The potential problem here is that the rubber will be hardened because of it’s age and usage but balancing is a must.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this