Removing a stubborn headlight ear

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Technical Garage Tips and Ideas Removing a stubborn headlight ear

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jon
    Participant

Must have internal Rudy buildup. Any ideas how I can free a stubborn headlight ear. Dont really want to destroy be it

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hi Jon

I am not quite sure what is going to be stuck here. Have you removed the top yoke? Have you removed the forks? Do you have any pictures of the problem?

KK

Jon
    Participant

It’s the upper fork cover which had the headlight lug.

Yoke clamps loose but it won’t twist off.

I’ll have to think how I can submerged it in oil to loosen the rust gripping it inside or just slice it

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

So is the top yoke removed?

KK

Jon
    Participant

Hi  I took the yoke off the top to see if i could get some penetrating oil down inside. But it didnt help. I’ll try a blow lamp next – maybe better than the attempt i did with a heat gun

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

That sounds like some serious corrosion there. Is it the same on both sides? With a little heat they should turn then lift off. Sounds like the forks will be seriously damaged too. If you need replacements of the forks and headlight ears I can potentially help you out.

KK

Jon
    Participant

Cheers KK.

The left one was fine, i’ll see how it goes.

Jon
    Participant

blow lamp and some tapping with a lump hammer – this tapper tole me it was nice a loose a the top but the bottom was where it sounded solid. So concentrated at the bottom and some more heat and it’s now off. There were just a couple of small rust spots. I’ll just make sure i pack some grease in there on the rebuild.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Great that you’ve got it off Jon. I have not had one that stubborn in fact all mine have come straight off. Hopefully it won’t have damaged anything else badly. Shout up if you need any headlight ears etc I have a few reasonable sets here plus other parts.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this