z 750 B1 mag wheel upgrade ? down grade ?

Home Forums New Member Introductions z 750 B1 mag wheel upgrade ? down grade ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    joey
    Participant

Hi, I`m new to the Lonesome twin forum having just bought a `76 B1 in not too bad order but it`s had mag wheels fitted and wondered if there`s any way of identifying the model of wheels as I`ve discovered a couple of sleeves missing off the rear spindle. Also would anyone suggest a decent option for exhausts as the one fitted is a 2 into 1 predator I think in black and would prefer a chrome megaphone style. Also got a couple of bins of spares carbs clocks casings etc. Cheers Joey

philpassingham
    Participant

Z1000 wheels were used later with the same size spindle,z650 had a smaller spindle,welcome to the site,where you from?,hard part to find is decent downpipes,they turn up on ebay in the USA now and again

joey
    Participant

Cheers for that. I`m in north Lancashire near Lancaster.I`ve got a spare set of 2 into 1 downpipes that also resemble the predator ones on the bike, maybe try getting them chromed and fit a slip on megaphone silencer ? Really good club, loads of interesting info and photos, I`ll try to upload some of the bike soon. I`ll bet someone knows it as I think one of the previous owners was from Bolton.

philpassingham
    Participant

probably kk

joey
    Participant

Does anyone out there know if when the Z1000 mag wheels were used as an upgrade did all the same sleeves spacers and even calipers get used as now its non standard I don’t really know which sleeves etc I should fit ! Any suggestions / diagrams would be greatly appreciated as the spindle at the moment has no means of being secure in the swing arm slots other than tensioners which is obviously never a good thing. Cheers Joey.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hi Joey and welcome to our site.

I am struggling to find the parts diagram for the B3 and B4 wheels.

Here is a link to the Z1000 18″ rear wheel parts

Z1000 Rear Wheel

kaye
    Participant

Hey Joey,
    My bike has the back wheel from a z1000ltd 16″ though, but i’m using a caliper from an old gs750 suzuki,fits well but did take a bit of messing and witchcraft with spacers to make fit !!

joey
    Participant

Thanks for your replies folks,
    Still a bit confused , does that mean that when Z1000 wheels are fitted the spindle components sleeves collars etc are used from the 1000 or a mix of 750 and 1000, or should the set up be as the diagram kindly supplied by KK and ignore the 750 set up?? Cheers Joe.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

I have been unable to find a direct parts list for mag wheels on the B3 or B4.

I have got one for the G model which I believe will fit in the B swinging arm. However the G model is a 16″ wheel with drum brake.

There is a good possibility that the wheel spacers on the left of the B and G axle are the same and that the spacers from the right of the B axle will also fit to complete the conversion.

G model Parts List

Please let us know if this works

joey
    Participant

Cheers for the info KK, the trouble I have is that the conversion was done before I got the bike so I`m in the dark as far as knowing what has actually been put on. The sprocket, wheel and disc all line up fine but the spindle sleeves are missing so there is too much possibility of vertical movement for the spindle. I saw an engineer up the road yesterday and asked him to make a couple of sleeves for the grand total of £5 ! I`ll give this a go to get me running but I will investigate your suggestion further as I`m not sure if the spindle is a z1000 or 750. Is there a way of telling ? Many thanks for your efforts Joey.

joey
    Participant

Hi again,
    Hopefully the sleeves I had made have sorted the spindle issues, time will tell. Has anyone tried fitting a longer side stand to a B1 as mine seems to have a bit of a lean on. Cheers Joe.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hi Joey

It is quite normal for the bikes to lean a little more than we expect as the side stand I believe is designed for the American and European markets where they all drive on the right hand side so when parking their bikes on the right the side stand is up the camber of the road and not down like here in the UK. This should not be excessive though. I am not aware of a different side stand for the UK market.

If you feel it is excessive then maybe the rear shocks have been changed for longer than standard one??? This can be checked by putting the bike on its centre stand and seeing if the rear wheel is off the floor.

Tango has put longer shocks on the rear of his B1. This did give him excessive lean and also made the centre stand redundant as both wheels were still on the floor when the centre stand was down. He rectified the side stand issue by modifying a stand from a dirt bike which tend to be quite long. He had it reduced in length to suit. I don’t know what bike that stand came off and neither does he as it was one someone had lying around.

lonesome
    Participant

Hi Joey, nice to meet you. I’ve had at least 3 properly bent sidestands on my bikes. Did you notice it’s quite a heavy bugger? 😀 Honestly, they go banana shaped. Other option is the stop bending, or as above ^^. I might even have one I can dig out for reference. The centrestand stops can also let go, which is a real pain. I think that’s because of kick-starting it on the stand, which might well be more pressure than it’s made for, definitely in my case 🙁 Good luck with it all and hope you like the bike. It’ll never let you down, unless you’re in the middle of nowhere with no signal.

joey
    Participant

Thanks Lonesome,
    Yeah very heavy buggers for what they are. No centre stand on it until I find one but I`m looking at modifying the stand or as suggested trying a longer stand. Yeah love the bike seems to run ok just a few weeps of oil at front end to sort and that`ll do for now, just want to ride it a bit before I start doing anything major. Keep trying to upload some photos but being a bit of a techno cripple haven`t managed yet. Cheers.

lonesome
    Participant

Would those ‘few weeps’ include the tacho cable connector? They all do that mate, it’s a feature, not a fault! Unless you wear shorts on a hot day (I often do), then it can actually be a problem.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this