Z750b2 stripped down

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Projects and Progress Z750b2 stripped down

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jon
    Participant

Been working on stripping this down over the passed couple of months – either freezing cold, or raining. I have to take the bike outside to do anything so not ideal. Just about ready for powdercoating now.

The engine runs and i don’t think there’s anything much wrong with it. But whilst it’s out is there anything worth doing to it that might be a pig to do in the bike? I was thinking of just replacing the sump gasket just because it’d be easier out than in.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

I use to have to work that way so you have my sympathy.

There is very little you can’t do with the engine in so I would not worry there. Personally if the sump gasket is currently OK I would leave it alone. It isn’t that difficult to do with the engine in anyway.

Keep us updated with your progress.

KK

Jon
    Participant

Cheers KK

I’ll leave it then…

I got the headstock bearing cups out with a dremel slitting disc – pretty easy afterall,.

I’m having a right job trying to get my wheel bearings out. The Maintenance manual doesn’t give much away on best method..

I’ve removed the circlips and trying to take them out towards that circlip on the understanding that the non circlip side the bearing sits against that shoulder.

I’ll work out a shopping list soon….

Got a quote all bits and pieces (yokes, brackets, headlamp housing, etc, etc plus frame and wheels £250 powder coated – i thought that was reasonable.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Jon.
    Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hi Jon

That sounds expensive for powder coating. I got all mine done for £120 although didn’t include my wheels as they are spoked. Wheels up here are around £60 a pair.

There is a spacer in between the bearings. This is a tube and has a collar at one end. The collar is to help hold the spacer concentric with the I/D of the bearing so they line up for the axle to pass through. The tube is trapped between the bearing inner races. You need to insert a metal bar through one bearing and the tube but NOT into the other bearing then lever the tube sideways to expose the inner face of the bearing giving you a face to drive it out. If the tube doesn’t move it will be because the collar is at that end so try from the other end.

KK

Jon
    Participant

Does each bearing come out each side then not both out the same side?

Jon
    Participant

I think i’ve found the answer on csml website (one out each side )

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Yes Jon. The each come out on their own side.

KK

Karl
    Participant

Evening jon

I had my frame powder coated gloss black for £110 however I had to take it back there were two rough areas on the headstock,  grease contamination apparently, shame was spot on otherwise,  still to pick back up. All being well I will get my rusty steel rims and hubs done next, not had price for that yet.

I like that colour on yours.

Karl

Jon
    Participant

All bits and pieces being powdercoated….

The powdercoaters found both calipers had cracks (not on the oil pressure side) – so these are being welded first.

I found a great engine degreaser ‘Engine Klenz’ this is one of those lemon smelling ones and it seems to work better that jizer and more friendly on the hands / nose. (£10 for 5ltrs).

Ordered some flexoid so that i can make gaskets for the next 20 years.

Looking at the various sources for bearings, brake repair kits, chain, sprockets, etc and the other bits i need, it’d roughly £200 quid worth of bits from Z power required (so far) what sort of discount can KK get ?

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

If I haven’t got items here my first port of call is Zpower, then ebay where I try and do deals. When Zpower are stuck they come to me. Send me a list of what you want and I will quote you. I have now helped quite a few members.

KK

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this