Doh!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    Participant

Hi Kenny,

that is to bad !
    Thank you for the pics.
    Looking forward to see what is in the oil sump.

Cheers, Michael

KennyS
    Participant

Hi,
    Some photos with the sump removed. The bottom bearing was amongst it, along with bits of casing, the oil relief pressure valve, and the rod bolts. One bolt has broken but neither bolt has a nut on it and have only found one nut so far. There is also something stuck in the crankcase gallery. It is thin steel almost like a shim material but very hard. I presume it may be what is left of the bearing. It won’t come out until I separate the casing.
    Does anyone know if there is a parts manual available. I have an old workshop manual but it doesn’t show everything in detail.
    Does anyone know which parts are matched. I presume the crankcases are matched pairs and the head and cam bearings are matched, is there anything else.
    I go back to work today so no more progress for a couple of weeks.
    Cheers,
    Ken

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hi Ken

I can help with everything you asking for.

I have sent you a private message

Cheers

KK

Mikeonabike
    Participant

I think Kenny is going to need a miracle from Santa to fix that !!! 😉

P.S I still think paraffin would have fixed it!!

philpassingham
    Participant

The therapeutic values of parrafin

Michael
    Participant

I am on holidays now and will try to get two engines repaired/restored during that time (til 8.Jan.2017) and to find the best parts that can be used for my big bore engine.

If any pics of the internals of an engine are needed, just shout out.

Work with KK to get the needed parts.
    I may have some if required, but shipping is from Germany 😉

Cheers, Michael

beachcomber
    Participant

The fact that one nut ( at least ) is not in place would lead me suspect that the big ends hadn’t been correctly torqued. Either way, that’s some devastation !

KennyS
    Participant

A bit of mess isn’t it. I don’t remember that being in the advert. I do wish I’d had some paraffin.

The Kawasaki manual is quite good but doesn’t show every detail. Although I’m taking photos of parts before I dismantle them, some of the parts had already dismantled themselves. The starter drive cog was on the wrong way round, according to the manual, so I’m not confident that any of the rebuild was good. I’m particularly keen to see where nuts and bolts have washers fitted or tab washers, etc. I have had parts manuals before and they usually show every individual item.

With the engine out I was also deciding whether to paint the frame. Which leads to my next question. The frame is an LTD, but I also have a scruffy B frame. Are the geometry of the 2 frames the same or is the LTD more raked out.

Cheers,

Kenny

Michael
    Participant

Hi Kenny,

as I have both kinds of Twins, LTDs and Bs, I can ensure you, that despite any geometrical values the frame and the setup of a B is the much better rideable bike !
    Bs are more active, forward oriented.
    LTDs are some kind of relaxed lean-back riding 😉
    I love them, both.

The engines can be swapped (beware of different upper engine holders / valve covers),
    Be aware of the B1/B2 specials like different generator setup and smaller rotor fixing screw and “front-fixed” brake caliper(s).
    With electrics the difference starts and the rest of the chassis is that kind of different, that nothing fits to the other version.

Different brakes, wheels, forks, yokes, swing arms, frames. Especially the rear brake actuation is a nightmare to convert.
    Close to impossible 😉

CSR is another different beast !
    Other wheels, other front brake and fork. Some LTD parts fit the CSR, but it is incompatible to the Bs as well.

BTW: Sometimes standing between my Twins, I think, if there is a Z750LTD and a Yamaha XS650, they have about the same degree of compability to each other (except the engine) than a LTD and a B.

Either you are building a LTD or you are building a B !?!

Cheers, Michael

beachcomber
    Participant

Kenny,

A parts list is the best starting point as that WILL show all parts and usually the order they are assembled. You will still needs manual for torque values etc.

We are fortunate that we have some good input from hands on owners ( eg Michael, Kwak, etc) on this forum.

Parts list, manual,forum ……all you need !

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Kennys as I have mentioned previously in this thread I have all the information you need. Please check your private messages and let me know.

Michael. Thank you for your brief though detailed summary of the models. If memory still serves me well I think the LTD model Kennys has is the G model which again is a different animal and is more associated with the B models. I’m sure he can confirm this.

KennyS
    Participant

Feeling really silly now. I did presume that most of the parts would be interchangeable. I thought possibly just changes to the frame and geometry, tank, seat and tail.
    I wasn’t looking for a mint original anything but more a stripped down mongrel. I prefer wire wheels to cast and liked the twin disc set up as opposed to the single. The B frame I have is just a frame and swing arm, with a spoked, disc brake rear wheel. The front wheel is single disk. The LTD has cast wheels and a drum rear brake. I did think I was going to cherry pick the parts I wanted for the B. Looks like I will have to do some comparisons.
    I haven’t had a PM from you Kap, just sent you one tonight.
    Cheers,

Kenny

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

How unusual. I did think it strange you didn’t reply.

I have re sent the details in my original PM. Fingers crossed it arrives this time.

Michael
    Participant

Hi guys,

the G-model is absolutely unknown to be.
    Just collected these information over time:
    http://www.z750twin.de/1980_g-modell.htm

Have a look into that page and scroll down. There is the only G-model shown that I have ever seen live. It is from Germany and the owner fitted the LTD spoked wheels. That may be an option ?

Be aware of front fork (axle right below it).
    That has influence on the yokes to choose and the brake caliper holders and discs as well.

All the best,
    Michael

PS: Found some more pics of that Twin:

Michael
    Participant

Ah, I suspect that is the G-fork, yokes and brake calipers.

Wheels are definitively Y1 ones (48 spokes and aluminium rims!).

Brake discs are not from the Y1, as far as I can recognise from the pics.

I have a loose wheel hub of a Y1 and can do some measurements or ship it as a sample, but need that returned again.
    Hope that KK can help you with that 😉

With the old type of dicsc (small (58mm) inner diameter and four fixing screws) a lot of Kawa discs fit there, that is not an issue.
    Determine via outer diameter, thickness and offset.

Cheers, Michael

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this