Glemseck – thinking aloud

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Projects and Progress Progress Reports Glemseck – thinking aloud

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    beachcomber
    Participant

Michael,

I’m never happier than when somebody tells me “You can’t do that” – and then go ahead and do it !

I was having a discussion with a group of Volvo owners ( yes I have a couple of them ! ) and talking about getting rid of the troublesome electronics associated with the stock turbo, and replacing it with a draw through Eaton supercharger. The draw through / blow through debate started and I have NO idea how we got on to the subject of my KZ ………. Next moment I had committed myself to the blown version of the Glemseck machine.

The proposal soon went down the turbo route to save development time / fabrication.

Decision now made and I’m looking for a suitable draw through ( is carbon seal ) turbo.

Crazy ??? I keep avoiding the men in white coats !!

Michael
    Participant

Haha !!!

You may take part at the sprints, but there are several classes and definitely your application is needed.
    No free sprints at any time !

The most classes are organised by the Glemseck 101 coordinators and some (3?) classes are organised by others.

“Sultans of Sprint” is one of these separate organised sprints and it had international starters the last two years.
    Sure Germany, also France, Spain, Italy, Denmark, etc.
    There are real beasts starting !
    BMW 1000, Guzzi 1000, Ducati 900, Yamaha TR1 just to name some and of course they are all equipped with typical and/or individual made tuning parts.

Sprint length is only 1/8 of a mile, approx 200m !
    Pay attention to final drive transmission ratio to avoid to much wheel spin or the chance of doing Wheelies. All starters that I have seen making (unintended) Wheelies from the start line, lost their races !

There is enough space to roll out and to turn the bike back to the fenced starting area. So brakes are needed, but not a focus.
    Single disc in the front and drum brake in the rear are absolutely sufficient.

That will be fun !

Cheers, Michael

PS: To ride along the festival area in pedestrian speed is possible 24h per day. Festival area is a restricted area. No TÜV, no MOT, no numberplate needed, no Police to judge your bike 😉
    Sure the police is on site, but they are helping and only interact in severe situations, not because of bike condition related issues !

PPS: Last posted pic is the roll back of a pair of rivals at “Sultans of Sprint”.

Michael
    Participant

“Geht nicht gibt’s nicht!”
    means:
    “That will never work, but we make it work!”

Another saying is:
    “The people that say, that will never work, should not stand in the way of the people who make it work !”

Viel Erfolg !

Cheers, Michael

Evil Twin
    Participant

nicht-Glaubigen

or something like that

beachcomber
    Participant

Michael,

Glemseck is my kind of place !!

It would be fun to run the drag strip again – it’s been over 35 years since I last raced !

I don’t expect the bike to be ultra competitive, but it would be a blast to run it.

And of course I will have fellow KZ750 owners cheering on.

beachcomber
    Participant

Point of no return — GT15 turbocharger arriving Friday courtesy of a “barter” deal !! Proud of me KK ?

I might be in need of a couple of scrap exhaust pipes. All I need initially is the first 12″-18″ of bend in reasonable weldable condition.

I will then Siamese the pipes on the left side ( high level ) and from there to the turbo located on the left side, over the oil breather tower ( which will be binned). As the turbo system benefits being as hot as possible – I will relent on my loathing of thermal wrapping (!!) the exhaust ! Also means the cosmetic finish of the system is not critical ( my excuse anyway ).

Packaging is so much simpler than with the Eaton !

Another advantage is that I don’t haven’t to relocate the ignition system.

Oil delivery ( turbo ) is fairly critical – someone mentioned an oil pump upgrade at one point ?

I also need to understand exactly how the breather tower system works as the oil return to the crankcase is an ideal point for the turbo oil return feed.

beachcomber
    Participant

Public thanx to KK for sourcing the info on the piggy back oil system / oil cooler from Chris – also the twin plug head! Takes me back to my Drag race days with Triumph twins.

This project is really firing me up now as I can see all the various queries and “whatifs” being ticked off one by one – thanx to the generous folk hereabouts willing to share their knowledge.

beachcomber
    Participant

Turbo arrived – spot on and in excellent condition.

While looking for some unwanted KZ bits in my garage I came across a Micro Dynamics ignition boost control unit …… last used on a blown Alfasud hill climber – 35 years ago !! Told you I never throw anything away.

beachcomber
    Participant

Don’t you love it when the plan you didn’t ACTUALLY HAVE – WORKS !!

Space to spare and bracketry dead simples.

Plenty of room to get pipe / hose to Weber intake log. The only [ ha,ha ] issue is I might need a scavenge oil pump for the turbo return pipe.

Space also for the cone filter from the turbo and even the exhaust outlet aligns with space in the frame on the other side.

Feeling super positive about this project after months of depression – thanx to all of this parish who have prodded me on with sharp sticks and kind words.

Spare engine now arranged thanx to KK and knowledge freely given by ChrisLWG which will all add to the overall performance of the Glemseck lump.

One major benefit of the Weber blow through arangement is that it remains streetable [ ‘ish ]. As long as I don’t get twitchy fingers and hit the 100bhp Nitrous button !

Other biker peeps who have used this turbo say it spools up like a banshee …………………..

Mikeonabike
    Participant

Not an expert on the turbo’s yet, but I intend to turbo a CD175 at some point this year after I have finished a couple of other projects I have going.
    I am going to run an external oil pump using oil from the engine sump, I will use an oil cooler but I doubt you would need one on an engine as heavy as a KZ.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Quality-Performance-Oil-Scavenge-Pump-Mount-Turbo-Rear-Bronze-12V-Gear-Pump-/162120497821?hash=item25bf227a9d:g:eEUAAOSwkl5Xc3vI
    Exhausts are easy, I made my front pipes out of these (or similar)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35mm-Silver-Universal-Exhaust-Pipe-Section-With-90-Bend-90-Degree-Diameter-/401209564096?hash=item5d69f41bc0:g:57YAAOSw4shYBuA2
    I would also fit one of these because a KZ750 engine is not designed to rev (or make more than about 60 hp)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omex-Performance-Electronics-Clubman-Rev-Limiter-Launch-Control-Twin-Coil-/361067172582?hash=item541147d2e6:g:A0oAAOSwuMFUeY9I
    Good luck with it, I will be well interested to see how it goes

beachcomber
    Participant

MOB thanx for your input and helpful links.

Oil cooler – a must with a turbo as the oil gets mighty hot. What external oil pump had you planned on using ?

The plan is to run via a separate oil supply direct to the oil cooler and thence to the turbo, giving me a good supply of cooled oil for the turbo. The turbo requirements are opposite to that of a roller bearing engine [ high volume relatively low pressure ]- Turbo requires high pressure oil supply, volume not as critical.

I can get stainless bends similar to the ones on your link, but alas I am NO welder [ in ANY material ! ]. I already have the exhaust stubs.

The rev limiter you linked to is OK, but I need something with a top end ignition retard. I have a Micro Dynamics unit – but I need to check out if it will be suitable for a twin [ it’s for a four cyl. ]

Michael
    Participant

Hi TJ,

if that ignition is intended for use on the crankshaft or to rotate with crankshaft speed, it shouldn’t be a problem to use it.

Just use the pickup intended to “spark” either cylinders 1+4 or the “other” ones, 2+3. You may even remove the odd sensor.

Finally it is just the same ignition as used with a single cylinder engine but has a dual output ignition coil.

As long at is has or is intended for crankshaft speed every ignition will work.

One spark in every cylinder every 360° crankshaft angle, that’s it 😉

One spark after 360° is doing the job, the next spark after another 360° is wasted into the exhaust, no matter.
    Not good, not bad, who cares, it works 😉

Cheers, Michael

Michael
    Participant

Ah, here a pic of Martin’s dual spark plug head with 2x NGK B-thread size:

beachcomber
    Participant

Michael – thanx for that.

Here’s some pix of the ChrisLWG conversion which will be carried out on the Glemseck project.

Decent high output coils required – recommendations ?

Also – aftermarket ignition system ? Preferably one with a retard facility at the top end.

Michael
    Participant

Hi TJ,

haha, the dual spark plug solutions look very similar to each other 😉

Martin is using the stock LTD pointless ignition with two dual ignition coils.
    These must have a resistance of 2,2 to max. 3 Ohms, as recommended for electronic ignitions. Do not(!) use the stock ignition coils of the B-models. Their coils are made for breaker ignition and have 5 Ohms.

Any aftermarket (e.g. Dyna) or even coils out of an inline 4-cylinder bike in the 1980s like Kawa GPZ (400 to 1100), Honda Bol d’Or (CB750/900/1100), etc. would do the job. They typically use dual output coils. Important is that the donator bike has an electronic ignition to ensure correct resistance.

I have bought a Sachse ignition, but it is not mounted yet:
    https://www.elektronik-sachse.de/shopsystem/product_info.php?info=p45_digitale-zuendung-zdg3–kawasaki-kz750b1-twin-.html
    Two other guys from Germany have it already in use and they state it is working perfectly.

It can be set to stop revving at 7.000rpm or to stop at 7.800rpm, which are the max. allowed stock rpms.

It has 9 preset, but selectable ignition curves and all of them are enhanced versus the stock ignition curve.
    You will find the diagrams here:
    https://www.elektronik-sachse.de/ZDG3/start/iheader.php?page=1&ver=3.12&typ=Kawasaki%20KZ750%20Twin&path=KAWASAKI/KZ750/&lang=de

Another provider is Ignitech from Czech Republic, but they do offer just full programmable ignition units (boxes), no sensors, no rotors.
    http://www.ignitech.cz/en/

Cheers, Michael

Below the stock ignition curve, the Sachse ignition and a Dyna ignition coil I bought, too.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 137 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this