Glemseck – thinking aloud

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Projects and Progress Progress Reports Glemseck – thinking aloud

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    beachcomber
    Participant

Vielen Danke Michael …………….

as ever I am grateful that you share your knowledge.

That info will save me a whole lot of research !!

The project is now gaining momentum – and a pile of parts !

At this moment everything looks really good. Plenty of space for or the turbo and pipework / brackets, and I have had some excellent advice for the blow through Weber set up.

beachcomber
    Participant

Oil breather tower.

I know I’ve asked this before, but this is a “must know” the answer.

An excellent oil return point from the turbo would be one of the vent port tubes inside the oil breather can.

Anyone think of a reason why not ?

The second tube would vent off to a separate catch tank.

Michael
    Participant

Hi TJ,

I am glad to support such a unique project and love to see it and you, of course, at Glemseck 101 this year !

It should work with the oil return.
    I can only see the diameter size as an issue. As there are 750 cm³ displacement this amount of air needs to go to the catch can without giving to much pressure to the oil return of the turbo.

Sure the remaining oil pressure on that return line is much higher than the air pressure pumped by the engine. That means the oil will drain down to the crankcase, but is still under pressure.
    That makes the engine ventilation even more important.

To avoid that, my first idea is to double the size (area in mm²) of the crankshaft ventilation.
    As that is related to boring and swarfs I suspect it can only be done with the crankcase split into halves.

I don’t have any experience with a changed engine ventilation system, these are just my thoughts 😉

Cheers, Michael

beachcomber
    Participant

Thanx Michael.

STILL trying to log in to your site !!

I’ve put a call out to see if anyone here in the UK has a scrap bottom end I can buy / borrow so I can check “in the flesh” to see what I need to do.

As I understand the system, the oil mist condenses in the housing and simply drains back to the crankcase.

The oil return from the turbo needs to be at least 1/2″, so it would seem OK to bore one of the holes to take that size fitting, and run the other direct to a catch can. On our race cars we ran the engine breather into the header pipes with a non return valve.

KennyS
    Participant

How much of an engine do you need? I have the damaged cases from the wrecked engine.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

We will need pics of course.

The project is sounding very positive.

beachcomber
    Participant

Yes, that’s exactly what I need !

It will assist with sorting out the oil cooler / turbo oiling and hopefully give me a pointer into making up an auxiliary oil supply.

Chrislwg has made a superb conversion, but sadly a one off !

I will be looking at the viability of a retro fit stand alone oil supply for peeps who want / need an oil cooler.

You all know my lack of facilities / skills, so I will be relying on others to get all my projected parts made. Sadly these days I am just an “ideas” man.

So, please let me know how you want to proceed with your damaged cases.

Happy to pay for carriage ( won’t need much wrapping ! ) or I can pay from my end. I use Interparcel.

At a later stage I’ll be on the lookout for damaged barrels / head to assist with other “whatifs”.

KK – pix upcoming after the weekend – I’m still in the process of shaking off this lurgi – THREE weeks now! So it will be the weekend before I get stuck in again.

I have to say everything ( unusually ) is really falling into place. The completed system could easily be adapted for road bikes. In fact, after discussions with Greg over on the DTT forum, I’m happy that the system will remain street able. Tee – hee.

KennyS
    Participant

I have the damaged barrels as well. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your view my cylinder head looks ok.
    Not sure where you are, could send by courier or how quick you want them, I’m heading down south towards the end of March, A1M then south Suffolk. I am away at work until 10th of this month. If you drop me your number I can give you a call.

beachcomber
    Participant

PM sent and thanx.

I have a deal for my “Glemseck” engine with KK, but your remains will be ideal for setting up / tinkering / investigation.

As with most of my life – enthusiasm gets the better of a “normal” existence !

Already, the Mk.2 engine is forming itself in my head. The donor for that will be my original engine.

I will take what I learn from the “Glemseck” lump – and then take it on to the next level.

beachcomber
    Participant

duplicated – sorry

beachcomber
    Participant

PM sent and thanx.

I have a deal for my “Glemseck” engine with KK, but your remains will be ideal for setting up / tinkering / investigation.

As with most of my life – enthusiasm gets the better of a “normal” existence !

Already, the Mk.2 engine is forming itself in my head. The donor for that will be my original engine. That’s for next year.

I will take what I learn from the “Glemseck” lump – and then take it on to the next level.

beachcomber
    Participant

Public thanx to Kenny’s for the supply of his damaged cases, barrels etc. to further the project.

What with all the help and advice I’m getting – this feels like a “forum” bike.

The cases will be invaluable for setting up and general “whatif” scenarios.

They will give me a lightweight / easy to handle mock up engine to sort out position of manifolding, turbo, hoses, etc. without having to manhandle a complete lump – and POSSIBLY [ PROBABLY ]damage my newly powder coated frame !

All the packaging looks good – it would even fit on a street bike [ tee,hee ]- the only tight part [ that’s where Kenny’s engine comes in ]is the plenum chamber.

Once the mock up engine is installed – I can fit the manifold [ thanx KK ]and Weber carb and position the Turbo – and see what room is left between the two for the plenum.

Ideally it needs to be engine capacity [ minimum ]- so 750 – 1000cc.

I’ll be in need of a turbo exhaust flange come mounting bracket soon [ 3 – 4mm plate ]approx. 100mm x 120mm.

Standard version shown – I need to extend the flange to accept mounting holes as I can’t rely on the Exhaust [ as normal ]to support the turbo.

Worse case scenario is to get a stock one and fab up a seperate support bracket Will still work, but the other way would be neater.

philpassingham
    Participant

if any parts need moving you can use me as a drop off/collection point

beachcomber
    Participant

Many thanx

beachcomber
    Participant

Turbo exhaust flange as pic above now on it’s way. It will be straightforward to create a simple bracket for mounting / supporting the actual turbo. The same company supplies the triangular turbo ex. intake flange.

Can’t wait to get the mock up mule lump in and then the reality of what’s in my mind works …….. or not !!

I’m awaiting dimensions of a certain finned alloy valve cover ( they come in pairs is the clue ) to see if it’s viable to modify that for the plenum.

That’s about the only part left to originate.

I’m trying to be creative with parts to save having to farm stuff out / ask for favours. A bit like the days of my youth !

I’ve also found some useful mandrel tube bends that will make up the Turbo exhaust.

Someone care to school me in on CSR ignition ?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 137 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this