Glemseck – thinking aloud

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Projects and Progress Progress Reports Glemseck – thinking aloud

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    beachcomber
    Participant

Just ordered some random stainless steel tubing bends. Hopefully enough to get the exhaust sorted.

I also found a good source of really inexpensive 10AN fittings for the various hoses – good old Chinabay !!

I’ve also done some searching on “oil pumps” on eBay and found loads of suitable pumps. Suitable in theory but I need to check physical sizes, rotation of drive, etc. But at least it looks doable.

My exhaust ( turbo ) flange is being made as we speak.

I need to finalise the design of the spacers etc. for fitting the wheels. Once that’s done I will get the chassis properly rolling, then it can go on the bike ramp.

freefaller
    Participant

Howdy Beach, CC from DTT here. Glad to have another good look at your build over here. Cheers!

beachcomber
    Participant

Great to see you made it !!!!

Welcome.

beachcomber
    Participant

I think the late night trawling of E Bay has come up trumps – maybe.

Came across this little baby which LOOKS to be OK size wise.

From a 2008 – 2010 Suzuki GSXR 600.

I need the measurement for the overall clearance to the sump base. As in the pic of the conversion by Chris LWG. IE from where he has mounted the pump base to the bottom of the oil strainer / sump base.

The rotation of the pump is irrelevant as it can be driven from either end.

These pumps are relatively inexpensive and if the will do the job – will mean minimal extra fab work.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

I’ve had the flanges machined flat on the Weber manifold I still have. However it is the longer one. If you send back to me the ones you have I can get them done as well.

KK

beachcomber
    Participant

Thanx KK. – what would I do without you !!

I got the short one done by a pal who is doing a college course – he will try to get the other one done soon.

The GSXR 600 oil pump will be here in the next couple of days. Fingers crossed.

Thanx for your help getting me back on the radar with Michael’s forum.

Good opportunity to get some more German vocabulary !

I will have all my random exhaust bends ( stainless ) on Monday, so begins the 3D jigsaw !

Hoggy ( who supplied my ex. stubs ) had made a really neat Siamese high level system which I will use as a guide.

Originally I was going to bring the system round on the left side ( alternator side ) but seeing his system, I can see it would flow into my turbo better on that side. Don’t you just love these forums !

beachcomber
    Participant

The 2 into 1 collector arrived today – and I thought I’d try the heat shield that UK Mark [ http://www.dotheton.com ]donated some time ago. Looks like I’ll finally get to use it !

Michael
    Participant

Hi TJ,

that looks very good !

beachcomber
    Participant

Something like this with the collector by the barrels.

This is “Hoggy’s” bike – he made the ex. stubs for me. And yes, it is a non stock frame !

beachcomber
    Participant

A bit more playing around today.

Trying to finalise the packaging of the turbo etc.

I’m now thinking separate dry sump style oil tank / supply for oil cooler / turbo.

I can get a 2 ltr ‘ish tank under the swingarm pivot area. It also means I can use speciality Turbo oil just for the turbo supply.

This will mean an absolute minimum of pestering other peeps for machining / fab work.

The exhaust is looking not only doable – but extremely sexy !

Still a lot of working out to do – but progressing nicely

beachcomber
    Participant

So, while the “dry sump” idea was rattling around in my head, I thought I’d do a bit more research.

Then it struck me – how do peeps get on turbo’ing a two stroke with NO oil sump ???

Up into my “library” in the loft and I sorted out an old USA volume on turbocharging.

And -result, there’s a chapter devoted to 2 stroke turbos – AND more importantly, the dry sump oil solution !!

So I’m not reinventing the wheel, just refining it. At least there’s a precedent for what I’m planning.

That does now seem the obvious ( and simple ) way to go.

I need to devise a drive for the Gixer oil pump ( probably the points side ). The alternator side would be better, but would require an oil seal. We’ll see.

beachcomber
    Participant

Before I make any decisions re:oil pump / turbo oiling ………… Does anyone know the output ( psi and litres / minute ) of the stock pump ?

Having read all FOUR of my turbo books, there is quite a divergence of views re: oiling requirements for the turbo.

I might just be over thinking this problem !

beachcomber
    Participant

The answer is yes – overthinking that is.

Always erring on the side of caution as I have all my design and manufacturing life, I was concerned that there might not be enough capacity from the stock pump output / oil reservoir.

However now I have the relevant figures to hand – 48 psi @ 4000rpm @ 90 degrees c.

However the important figure is the psi at which the bye pass opens, which is 57 psi AND the pump is capable of putting out more than 75 psi, which is the pressure the relief valve opens.

With a stock capacity of 4 ltrs. I would want to increase that by maybe 25%, which just happens to be the capacity of the oil cooler I have just found in my garage !

So, being kept awake most of the night with the remnants of this flu like lurgi [ 4 weeks now ], I had plenty of time to think about options – better than counting sheep.

I am now looking at the following scenario – mechanical [ Gixer ] oil pump externally driven from the points side feeding direct the oil cooler with a tee off to the turbo, and returning the oil via one of the breather holes [ inside the breather tower ].

That still leaves the oil return from the turbo, which will probably go to a 1.5 ltr reservoir and then back to the crankcase. An alternative would be to double the input to the pump – one the feed from the sump, the other the turbo oil return. That means I don’t need a separate scavenge pump.

I’ll be doing a schematic in the next 48 hours to convince myself or not – and I’ll post up the results.

Michael
    Participant

Hi TJ,

good to see you working on the oil supply of the turbo.

I have fitted the Tarozzi recessed footpegs in the same position as you did and found that the thread size is not matching.

The thread in the frame is “japanese standard” with MF10x1,25 (fine), while the Tarozzi stud is M10x1,5 (european norm thread / more coarse)

The bolt of the Tarozzis isn’t long enough to catch it with a nut from the inside of the frame.

Just to cut a new thread in the frame in M10x1,5 may be not the best idea, as it doesn’t allow to fix the footpeg in correct position (foldable upright).
    It may be corrected with slim washers like distance washers, but I do not like this possibility.

Any plans about fixing that ?

As your rear wheel has a drum brake, there is the need of converting it’s actuation as well. A Bowden cable should solve it, but it needs the matching holders at the brake pedal and the brake arm at the drum.

I have no solution for it right now, but will think about it 😉

Cheers, Michael

beachcomber
    Participant

Michael.

I will go out to the shed later and take a good look at my Tarrozis – and a picture or two !

Bonus with the Gixer oil pump.

It arrived today. I did not know – but it has TWO feeds – one is high volume for oil cooling [ internal ] and the other is high pressure for the main engine bearings etc. This is for the patented Suzuki SCAS oil cooled system.

What are the chances of that being EXACTLY what I need ! Oil cooler AND turbo supply – happy.

I just have to devise [ and get made ! ] a drive from the points central bolt.

I have a plan to mount the pump AND oil cooler under the sump – with protection of course.

The pump has plenty of output for my needs – and even a scavenge for the Turbo oil return. It looks like this system could easily be adapted and retrofitted to stock bikes [ non-turbo of course! ]

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 137 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this