Glemseck – thinking aloud

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Projects and Progress Progress Reports Glemseck – thinking aloud

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    beachcomber
    Participant

The mule mock up engine is on it’s way to me – public thanks to Kenny’s.

Can’t wait ( OK, I have to ! ) to get the lump mocked up in the rolling chassis, then the final POC can begin.

beachcomber
    Participant

Wow …………… all arrived today and just had to unpack it .

Next thing it’s on the coffee table – then next thing loosely assembled – then the next thing trying the manifolds and Weber !!!!!

I have to go out tomorrow – but by the weekend it will be in the frame and again loosely mocked up.

beachcomber
    Participant

So. decided to do the mock up today – shopping can wait !

That meant turning the rolling chassis round 180 degrees ………. and the rolling chassis is longer than the shed is wide. Even with the forks and wheels out it took 30 minutes of manhandling swearing and skinned knuckles to get it done.

Why turn it round ? I need access to the turbo exhaust and mounting. Still, done now.

So I decided to give the shopping a complete swerve and carry on with the mock up. Actually didn’t take that long – however, not terribly impressed with the alignment of various mountings and fixings. Would have been a right mission with a whole engine ! Before I get to it, I’ll open out all the various holes / brackets.

Anyway – I’d got the long manifold / Weber mounted up yesterday and tried that first. About 3″ too long enough !!!! However the shorter of the two is SPOT on – thanx KK. I’ve got room to get the plenum chamber in [ bolted to back of Weber ] and get a decent flow to the carb.

The oil scavenge [ turbo ] is too low and will need a scavenge pump if I am to use the original Breather canister vents. I’ll definitely use one as a breather, and probably take it direct to the exhaust via a one way flame trap [ a la Dragsters ].

Other jobs that need attention. ….. A support bracket for the Weber from the head. support bracket for the turbo. Exhaust in and out looks straightforward. Even the main exhaust doesn’t look too bad now I’ve bolted the Ex. stubs up [ thanx Hoggy ]

Shopping ….. who needs milk, bread, meat etc. anyway

Michael
    Participant

Hi TJ,

that looks awesome !

But I can not recognise where the exhaust exhaust of the turbo is?

The intake of the exhaust gas from the engine has a wide flange into the turbo.

Would it be feasable to route two separate downtubes in parallel into the flange ?

Of course not ideal for the exhaust flow, but it will pressurise the intake “rotor” of the turbo as well.
    Think that would look nice and doesn’t need that much space than a single inlet tube with larger diameter.

I have no idea about turbos, blow through carbs and I rely on your experience 😉

Have fun !

Cheers, Michael

beachcomber
    Participant

Michael,

There are 2 conflicting theories regarding the turbo / wastegate exhaust.

One school suggests 1 large exhaust – the other suggests 2 !!!

I think I prefer the idea of 2 as you suggest. The flange shown is from a turbo supplier who thinks 1 is the best !

I’ll be measuring up for the intake plenum at the weekend.

KennyS
    Participant

That looks amazing. Lots to get in the space. I know the left hand exhaust is really close to the frame on my bike, don’t know if it will make it easier or harder. Good luck.

beachcomber
    Participant

Yes the exhaust is mighty close – ie. virtually touching !

The exhaust pipes will have to be welded inside the stub ( 48mm ). I hope to get the money together to have a set made in stainless. Plan b is to get a few random bends and get it knitted up by the welding fairy.

The idea for the plenum involved using a VW Beetle alloy valve cover !

Would have looked the canine’s cajones, but was just too big to fit in ……. ah well, back to the drawing board.

beachcomber
    Participant

Yes the exhaust is mighty close – ie. virtually touching !

The exhaust pipes will have to be welded inside the stub ( 48mm ). I hope to get the money together to have a set made in stainless. Plan b is to get a few random bends and get it knitted up by the welding fairy.

The idea for the plenum involved using a VW Beetle alloy valve cover !

Would have looked the canine’s cajones, but was just too big to fit in ……. ah well, back to the drawing board.

beachcomber
    Participant

Had another measure up today. I had hoped to use gravity for the turbo oil return feed – not practical, which means an additional £50-£60 for a scavenge pump. That does however mean I can use the 2 existing holes inside the oil breather can – one as a breather, the other for the turbo oil return.

I’m ditching the top engine to rockerbox mount and replacing it with a rod end support. A second one will be fabbed to support the Weber – that’s a lot of weight on the relatively puny manifold to head fixings.

Otherwise all looking positive.

beachcomber
    Participant

The bright sunshine and 10 degree + weather that greeted me Sunday morning was an encouragement to get in the shed and do some of the mundane measuring and generally talking to myself [ I’m a good listener ].

The TR1 “Vindicator” tank is a no go as it will require virtually starting again.

That leaves me with a bit of a styling dilemma – stick to the current Flat Tracker look – or full on 60’s style Cafe Racer. Apart from the tank – I have all the relevant bits and now there’s something of a competitive element creeping in – maybe clip ons would be better !

I’ve drawn up the schematics for the proposed oil cooler / turbo oil supply and I even tripped over a box of unused stainless hoses and anodised alloy fittings left over from my car manufacturing days. That’ll hopefully save me a few pennies.

I also had a final think about spacers etc for the Grimeca front wheel and spoked XS500 rear. I’m pretty happy I’ve come up with a simple solution which will mean the very minimum of outwork.

Michael
    Participant

Hi TJ,

I would use the fuel tank of an LTD / CSR.
    It fits to the B-frame with only minor adjustments at the rear, middle holder / pin.
    Either enlarge the hole to a slot in the frame or reduce the size of the pin at the fuel tank.
    Can be secured by a small hole in that pin and a cotter pin through it. Large washer in between.

It has small capacity (10,6 liters) so it has low weight.

It has a drop shape and you can lean forward as much as you like.

All the “top fuel sprint bikes” at Glemseck are long and very low, so clip-ons are unavoidable.

But …
    … if there is a risk of doing a wheelie right off the starting line, it may be tricky to handle that with clip-ons. I would go for a narrow superbike bar, which improves the “handling” in that critical situation.
    It supports a relaxed sitting position as well and that might be an advantage during waiting periods.
    It also avoids the “lean your head way back” position, just to be able to look horizontal.

I think a relaxed position with much space to move the body is more worth than some theoretical advantages in weight distribution of a permanent stretched position with clip-ons.

BTW: I am riding Z750Twins since nearly 25 years now and I have never done or had the tendency for a wheelie. In typical situations it always comes to rear wheel spin.
    Sprinting with the tuned engine and whatever transmission ratio, I expect that rear spin to appear and the steering bar and the handling of it must cope with that situation.

Cheers, Michael

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

This is all above my head but interesting to read and I applaud those with and sharing the knowledge.

I can’t wait to see the finished product

lonesome
    Participant
    Quote:
    Michael wrote:

BTW: I am riding Z750Twins since nearly 25 years now and I have never done or had the tendency for a wheelie.

I actually laughed out loud at that! 😀

beachcomber
    Participant

Michael – not telling us “Porkies” are you ??? !!!

Trial fitted the rocker box from my original engine to get an idea of how much space I might [ or might not ] have. The coils will not be living in their normal place above the engine – so I’ll be ditching the top ” plates” in favour of a rod end [ Rose joint ] stay. The fuel pump might find it’s way into that space.

Need to do a bit of swift EBay selling to get Dyna coils, fuel pressure sensors, etc., etc.

beachcomber
    Participant

Thanx for your continued interest Michael.

Remember – I was brought up on Clip Ons and rearsets !!

All my Drag bikes had clip ons – more accurately ” Sprint” bikes as I was sprinting for many years before Drag Racing took off in the UK. This was in the days of pretty stock wheelbase and the widest speciality tyre was the 4″ Avon slick !

The LTD tank is a good call, but if I go down that route it will be with a Manx Norton tank cover !

Along with the inevitable mk 2 engine will be an extended swing arm.

BTW …… KK is trying to register me on your site as I am still not able to !

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 137 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this