“Lofoti” or “Michael goes to Norway”

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Projects and Progress New Projects “Lofoti” or “Michael goes to Norway”

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    Participant

Just to post some comments and pics of the progress.

I rode the bike for approx 4 km / 2.5 miles on the small road in our village.

Yes, it lives again 😉

Starts fine, idles fine but will not rev more than approx. 3.000 rpm !

Checked some things after the test ride and got a shock as I found the timing chain was not tensioned and the tensioner itself was just fixed by hand.
    My fault, but no damage to the valves, etc. Lucky me !

Fitted new spark plugs and new ignition cables before and after 4 km and approx. 10 minutes running time you can see the result.

Need to check camshaft timing, fix the tensioner correctly and will do a compression test next.
    Will test the sparks as well.

Michael
    Participant

some more pics in random order:

Still the old drive chain kit

Michael
    Participant

more pics:

– old ignition cables
    I have removed the outer cover of the cables to reuse them on the new cables.
    Bent one of the old and extreme stiff cables and the isolation just cracked

– removed the cam chain tensioner

Michael
    Participant

So what was the reason for the black spark plug and that the engine was not reving more than 3.000 rpm ?

After checking the camshaft timing I fittet the camshaft drive tensioner correctly and made a compression test.
    Result is the same for both sides and very satisfying.

Ok, only the carbs are left.
    Well, hmmm, my fault !
    I haven’t fixed the main jets and the one at right hand side fell off into the bowl.
    The other main jet was loose as well.

After fixing all that I had a short, but nice test run “round the house” for approx 5 km / 3 miles.

Engine is working fine, brakes as well.
    Front fork is tight as far as I can tell from this short test ride and is working as sensible as we love it. Rear shocks from Hagon are stiff and a bit to short.
    It is hard to move the bike onto the main stand.

Finally Maria’s LTD and my Lofoti had their first common photoshooting.
    A nice couple at Valentine’s Day 😉

Will carry on and post the progress.
    Cheers, Michael

AtLarge
    Participant

We have all been bedeviled by a technicality. Good that you have it sorted now. Nice pair of twins Michael!

Michael
    Participant

Hi AtLarge,

thank you !

Will work on this weekend.
    Have to invest in a set of new tires.
    Sure these will be Bridgestone BT45.

Cheers, Michael

Michael
    Participant

Well, moved on this weekend.
    Fitted the baggage carrier, rear blinker to it, found that the larger Krauser cases doesn’t match, are locked and I don’t have a key. So I will go with the smaller ones.
    Front crashbar mounting optimised and fitted a rear left crash bar as well. This is ideal to move the bike onto center stand. Can’t fit the rear right crashbar as that would prevent the seat bench from being opened.
    Maria bought a bike navigation system and I mounted that right hand side of the steering bar, as that position allows me to see the lower speed range on the speedometer which is very important for Norway as they have an 80 km/h (50 mph) speed limit.

Ok, after all that preparation I started to disassamble the bike again and to rebuild it in the correct way.
    Removed the wheels and ordered new tires. Removed swingarm to fit the endless (closed) drive chain. Will swap the rear shocks as these ones are to hard and a bit to short.
    Removed the full front end (fork, headlight, instruments, steering bar, steering stems) as I had to remove the lower steering bearing shell. That was “not a pleasure” but it is out now.
    Immediately after that I ground the cutouts into the frame or at least started with it. I’ve overheated that stuff as you can see.

Will move on quickly as I have to go to TÃœV / MOT and want to ride the bike some hundred kilometers in my home area, to see if everything is working fine.

Cheers, Michael

Michael
    Participant

What I have used to get the bearing shell out ? Heat, hammer and screwdriver.
    The poor frame !

Have to clean the harms and major scratches (that I have caused during this action) out of the seat in the frame, where the bearing shell sits.
    Then use the correct glue to install it again.

At least it is removed !

Michael
    Participant

Achieved some progress:

New tubeless tires fitted with a 90° angled valve in the rear wheel.
    Of course I went for BT45.
    Maria gave the writing on the tires a white color finish.

Rubber bearing of the instruments improved and swapped lamps of the rev counter.

Made a new axle for the main stand incl. cotter pin holes, springs and stop.

Was playing with the BSM 2-in-1 exhaust, but have to use a grinder to optimise it’s mounting.
    Wasn’t the right date and time to do that:
    Easter Monday, late in the evening 😉

At least both wheels are back in the bike.

Cheers, Michael

Michael
    Participant

Have ground the down tube collars to match.
    Cut some fins of the collar to ease the mounting.
    Fitted the exhaust and had a test run.
    Yes, it works 😉
    Idle speed not perfect, but ready to go!

Will fit the pillion grab rail, baggage carrier and rear blinkers next and arrange a date for the TÃœV.
    Have to work on my VFR750 as well as it is over it’s valid TÃœV period.
    May sell the VFR with new TÜV to have some more money for Norway 😉

Cheers, Michael

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Those tyres look great Michael. I might have to send mine over to you for Maria to do 😉

I have not picked this up before but as the bike has a centre stand would I be right to say it is a K model that you have converted?

Michael
    Participant

Hi Andy,

correct, it is a K1 BeltDrive model converted to chain drive, to be able to change the transmission ratio.

Not finished yet, but already rideable.
    Status as it is right now:
    Have to fiddle with the rear brake arrangement, connect rear blinkers and improve fixing of baggage carrier at the number plate mounting.
    … and then go to TÃœV 😉

Cheers, Michael

AtLarge
    Participant

Looks great Michael. That will haul a lot of stuff!

Michael
    Participant

This used baggage carrier manufacturer is from and well known in Germany called Krauser. OEM supplier for BMW in the 1970s and 80s.
    This is a real crap !
    It is made from modular components and individual fixing plates to match the bike.

I have bought a Denfeld carrier (Kawasaki OEM in Germany in the 1980s). Mounted that to Maria’s LTD. That is made as single-piece from chromed tubes. That is so much better than the Krauser.

The cases themselves are different and either fixing to the carrier, the hinges, the locks, the seals, everything is better with the Denfeld ones and Krauser is far behind !

This is related to the available stuff from the 1980s, not a judgement over current stuff that is or might be available now.

Cheers, Michael

Michael
    Participant

Thank you, guys !

Will take another two to four weeks to have the bike legaly on the road again.

Enough time left to test the bike and be ready for Norway 😉

Cheers, Michael

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this