“Lofoti” or “Michael goes to Norway”

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Projects and Progress New Projects “Lofoti” or “Michael goes to Norway”

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    lonesome
    Participant

Hope you have a great tip Michael, maybe next year a matching trailer? 😀

Michael
    Participant

Well, let me think about that 😉

Even better than a topcase.

A camping trailer has some advantages !

lonesome
    Participant

I’ve secretly always wanted a trailer for mine, but would need someone more capable to engineer it. I know from experience with my bicycle that 1 wheel good – 2 wheels almost impossible.

Michael
    Participant

If you really think about that, have a look to the Netherlands.

These guys have a lot of experience with (camping) trailers, no speed limit for trailers at motorbikes and they have brilliant one-wheel-trailers of any kind.

Cheers, Michael

Michael
    Participant

This weekend I will install the electronic side stand switch.
    After that the bike is ready to go 😉

These are the needed parts, bought for less than 20 Euros. Just add some cables and connectors, get it fitted to the bike and wire correctly.
    It is called “Werner’s side stand switch (SSS)” solution 😉

It will let you start the engine in “Neutral”, no matter if the side stand is engaged or disengaged.

It will let you start the engine even with any gear engaged, but side stand disengaged. Important if you have choked the engine at a red light or stop sign.
    (clutch lever switch can be incorporated to prevent stalling the bike with gear engaged and pressing the START button, but not necessarily needed)

It will stop the ignition (like the EPO/emergency power off) in any case, when the side stand is engaged and you shift to any gear except “Neutral”.

That will prevent start riding with side stand engaged and this functionality is needed to pass the TÜV examination and it will be tested for sure. Only other way are the spring-loaded, self disengaging side stands when moving the bike upwards in vertical position, but I hate them.

This SSS is intended to use the EPO input to LTDs CDI ignition box. To use it with Bs, some closer look into the wiring plan is needed. Would use the same switching scheme with “Neutral” recognition and the EPO-circuit as well.

Keep you updated and will arrange the TÜV date very soon !

Cheers, Michael

Michael
    Participant

Hi Lonesometwins,
    I got the side stand switch mounted, had to swap the horn and left hand controls unit at the handlebar this morning, as the horn and it’s switch stopped working !
    Right in time 🙁

Well, at lunchtime I have passed the TÜV, changes in front tire size to 100/90-19, Ikon rear shock absorbers and the windscreen are noticed, rest was ok. The tester had some fun and made an additional course/round on the TÜV premises.

Got my papers, went to the registration office, got the registration and the number plate is FDB ZK 83 now.
    FDB is my local code and can’t be changed.
    Z is an old Kawasaki, K is this model.
    83 is manufacturing date.
    My spouses LTD has the number plate
    FDB ZY 82.
    Guess which model she has 😉

We have a public holiday in our area tomorrow, the weather forecast is brilliant and we will have a 300 km tour through Bavaria and the german pre-Alps.
    Total eight participants on different bikes.
    That will be fun !

Cheers, Michael

AtLarge
    Participant

Congratulations on passing the test.

You are hired!

😆

Nice job on the bike. Have a safe trip.

Michael
    Participant

Thank you !

We had a test ride today, total 250 km / 160 miles.

Have found something is wrong with rear wheel spacing / inside brake drum. Could ride this tour even with that.
    Will have a look this weekend.

Except of that the sealing ring of rev counter cable is untight and I have to swap that ring.

Everything else worked fine and it is fun riding our Twin Twins:

Cheers, Michael

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Congratulations and very very well done.

Can I hire you too?

I like the registration. You have done well there as your choices are harder than ours.

I am pleased your test ride went so well but I never doubted that it would as your attention to detail is second to none.

I feel sure your trip will be amazing.

KK

Michael
    Participant

Maria was keen on having the short rear (US style) fender.
    I have decided to use the long (german) rear fender and even extended it with a rubber guard.
    Maria likes to ride behind me and I don’t want to throw any small stones and pieces, collected from the road to her.
    Well, it is a touring bike built to purpose, not a show winning candidate.

Only a few technical things to do and from the legal side we can start right now 😉

Cheers, Michael

Michael
    Participant

Just a few more pics:

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

That looks a great day out Michael. Than you for sharing. Did the ride go without incidents for you?

Michael
    Participant

Well, except the issue with the rear brake plate everything worked very well.
    I have sorted that in the meanwhile.

My drive chain was a bit to loose, but I have got the swing arm guard / chain guide tested that way. It works fine.

Marias LTD has still a bit untight cylinder head gasket and the fuel consumption is approx half a liter / a pint higher than mine on 100 km. Will have a look at the carbs. Gasket was swapped two times already so I will leave that for the trip as it is. Not good, but not to bad as we all know 😉

Cheers, Michael

PS: We name the fuel consumption in relation to 100 km. A typical value for our Twins would be 5 liters per 100 km.
    (short: 5.0l/100km). A higher fuel consumption would be e.g. 6.0l/100km when riding hard/fast.
    The american style with “miles per gallon” is a complete different way to describe that, despite the metric and imperial conversion.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

That’s a surprise with the oil leak. I’ve always managed to seal mine OK when they have gone. After saying that I had a slight leak on mine first time we met in Belgium. It was no worse a couple of years later when I got around to fixing it. It’s more annoying than dangerous.

Are you using a standard gasket or one of the copper ones?

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

100km on 5 litres is about 58mpg. That is better than me. I am getting about 45mpg. I will check my settings.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this