registering my bike

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Projects and Progress Progress Reports registering my bike

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    kaye
    Participant

Hi, I’m after picking someones brain about what forms and information I need for getting my bike registered, it’s going for not tomorrow and insured on the vin no.I have some blurb from dk when I bought it and an application form for registration and tax and that’s it. Nothing is written on the v55 so If anyone could give me a heads up I would really appreciate it 🙂 thanks guys regards Kaye.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

As well as filling in the V55 you will need the MOT (which you are getting tomorrow), Insurance (which you have on the VIN) and the relevant fee’s inc Road Tax.

If you wish to have an age related plate you will also need a letter proving the vehicles age. This can be done one of 2 ways. Give the VIN number to Kawasaki and they can trace the date the bike was originally built. This I believe costs about £55.

The other way I know is by joining VJMC. They will guide you through the process and can provide proof of year and manufacture which is accepted by DVLA at a cost of £22.50. Membership I think is around £25 so it is slightly cheaper.

If you don’t supply proof of age the best you can expect is a ‘Q; plate which apart from the stigma makes the bike worth less.

kaye
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, i do have a letter from Kawasaki proving its age, soz forgot to mention that, it’s the v55 that has made me scratch my head 😉

kaye
    Participant

Just a quick update, my bike PASSED its MOT today, and think I have the info for registration, I got this bike pre NOVA so its a bit easier….so the bike shop say! anyway I’m moving on and that’s good 🙂

Michael
    Participant

Hi Kaye,

as I am from Germany, I have no idea what you and KK are talking about 😉

But I can say that your bike is looking good !
    Does it run as it looks ?
    Are you allowed to use it on public roads ?

Cheers, Michael

kaye
    Participant

Hi Michael,
    Thank you for liking my bike, and yes it does go as well as it looks after many hours of fiddling and tweaking!the carburettors was the biggest problem so I got the gpz500 carbs with bigger pilot jets and that sorted it out.
    I could only ride it legally yesterday to and from the MOT station because its not got a uk number plate yet, but i’m hoping it wont take too much longer to get my registration sorted.
    Cheers take care Kaye.
    ps i have a friend who builds one off vintage cars Austin 7’s 🙂 who has helped me with my bike he is a real Diamond ….he did my paintwork for me too!

lonesome
    Participant

Hi Kaye.

Really nice bike, hope you have much fun riding it. The carbs are always a hassle, they’re sensitive to the float level, the inlet rubbers rot and crack and they can stick. Also the diaphragms age and crack then you’re up #OOPS# creek. There used to be a guy who could fit new ones, don’t know if he still does but I can hunt him down if you want. Finally the need careful balancing. Well set up, it will idle happily at 700rpm.

Anyhow if it goes well with the GPZ ones fair do’s, ride on!

kaye
    Participant

Hi,
    I no longer have the original carbs mainly because of issues you have pointed out, yes it runs fine on the gpz carbs and the way i see it is they have 20 years less wear and tear!But they could do to be checked for balance, so if anyone is passing my way a set give me a shout 🙂
    Finally yes I’m really looking forward to riding it. Ta Kaye

kaye
    Participant

Just a quick progress report on my bike, It’s now got a UK registration on “Y” 83 plate, all done and legal 🙂 …………………….and the weather is freezing now doh!

lonesome
    Participant

😎 Well done, nice one. Hope it rides as good as it looks. Perhaps when it’s warmer eh? 🙂

kaye
    Participant

Thanks Lonesome,
    I too hope it rides as well is it looks 😀 it has a old style z900 bars on now that’s the only difference
    ! anyway hopefully we will get the odd good day, i’m itching to have a proper ride instead of blatting around the marina annoying my neighbours, and the Ducks lol.

kaye
    Participant

Update…..it was a beautiful day today so had a ride to Hull , it DOES go as well as it looks, dead chuffed ..

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Looks a nice job. Well done you from all angles. These bikes do deliver what they say on the tin and more

Happy riding Kaye

kaye
    Participant

Thanks KK,
    It is not a good starter from cold after a few days, but having a look this weekend plus a Battery upgrade!
    Nevertheless i’m a happy Bunny 🙂

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Get the Motobatt battery. It is a little more expensive (around £55) but very well worth it. I’ve left mine for over 7 months through winter and she still fired off the button

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this