B1 Project Started.

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Projects and Progress New Projects B1 Project Started.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 158 total)
  • Author
    Tango
    Participant

Is that like a flat tracker type bike phil?

Was going to buy a seat lock this month for my bike, Just a step closer, Z power do one that will fit for £55

Tango
    Participant

Ok very small update. But it all counts.

I have been concentrating on getting my CB1000 ready for our Cornwall trip, so the Twin had to take a back seat for a while.

But now the Honda is as good as ready to go. And Michael has inspired me to get cracking again on the Twin.

A seat lock outer bit has been sourced it just doesn’t have any internals as it had been drilled out.But lucky for me KK has come up with an ingenious way to make it so it works and it will be a bit of a quirk.

Also the head bearings were all loose, and I had play in the front end. But that has now also been sorted just by adjusting the tightness of the headstock.;)

So all that’s left now for the Mot is get a battery on her and get her in.

Next job after that is sort my seat out with a rebuild and recover i’m going to get it done properly and not just make do with the one Ive got,as close up I think it lets the bike down.

Tango
    Participant

Well Nothing else has been done to my twin.

But I have now Ordered my Battery for it a New MotoBatt one as KK says these are much better, and I shouldn’t have any problems with one of these, and they are only a fraction more expensive.

I am getting a little nervous that I haven’t got my Twin on the road yet, and Im talking about taking her over seas within the next 7 months! GULP!!

But what with the New Main Wiring loom & Clock loom. New Ignition and new Switch gears both sides! Im hoping that I shouldn’t have any problems. I just need to get it on the road and give the GPZ Carbs a try just to make sure all id well with the conversion that I have done.

The only thing that I am worried about is will the old Points and Condenser be ok on such a long trip, with possible rain and damp issues?

I guess I’ve got January and February to give that a Good testing!

Better get her on the road!

Tango
    Participant

WooHoo!

Battery came in for the start of the New Year. And it has been fitted today!

After Some Kicking and Panting!

The old girl fired into life under her own power, for what must be the 1st time in Many Years!

I have to book it in for MOT now ….And It looks like ive got some Carb work to sort out? as it was Popping and Farting back through the carbs. KK thinks it may need bigger idle jets?

Tango
    Participant

This is the post that I have found on what jets I had fitted in the GPZ Carbs

Ok I have stripped down the GPZ500,
    Cleaned them up and checked what jets are in them,and they seem to be 134 main jets and 35 pilot jets,
    the needle is on the 4th clip down?

Any Help on this would be helpful the bike is running Pod filters and a CSR 750 Twin Standard exhaust.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

My knee is still sore. We need to sort you a starter clutch out

Tango
    Participant

Stop being a Tart! ….

Although my right leg is bloody aching this morning! lol

I have decided to take the tank off & have a look at that rocker gasket, there may have been a little air leak on that as there where some very fine bubbles visible.?

I’m also going to drain that fuel out of the Tank and swap the fuel tap over to a single outlet one, as the GPZ Carbs only needs one fuel pipe! and before the tank goes back on maybe we could have a look at the Carb synchronisation to make sure that’s ok to. 🙂

So that looks like I’ve got my weekend planned out!

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Ha!!! There is a God

Looks like my weekend will be busy as well now

Tango
    Participant

Your Always Busy Kk

Good news on my twin I have been stood down from work a couple of days this week. So I have put the time given to me into the Bike

I am now pleased to let you all know that the bike has been for MOT and she Passed! So I went and taxed her straight away. So now after many years she is back on the road fully legal!

I do have some fine running issues to sort out? But that’s what you get for using non standard Carbs, But im Sooooo close. I will have it running sweet as a nut in no time at all.

Michael
    Participant

Hi Tango,

congratulation !!!

Now your(!) bike is back on the road and you have the chance to ride at least 30 miles / 50 km in a single ride, as long as the weather is fine.
    That will heat up (motor, brakes) and move all components (wheels, fork, swing arm, brakes and switches) and that automatically cures some issues 😉
    Kawasakis must be ridden, they don’t like to be parked somewhere !

Issues that are still left are much more defined and can be sorted out easier 😉

Cheers,
    Michael

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

I love her Tango nearly as much as one of mine. Way to go dude. Luxemburg here we come!!!

Tango
    Participant

Thanks KK

Michael Thanks for the words of wisdom, always gratefully received off your good self. :O)

I have had some work to do on the Carbs,as the bike was not running well enough to Ride more than 3 or 4 miles. As the bike would not pull away unless you gave it lots of throttle, and it was bogging down.

So after trying to adjust the Carbs through the Air Screw on the bottom of the carburettor to try and richen up the mix, But this was with limited success! It was apparent that the Pilot Jet was going to have to be swapped out for a Bigger one.

I have now taken out the 35 Pilot Jet, and swapped it for a 40. But with this change the needle clip had to be raised up a couple of notches,so the needle was slightly longer. This means the fuel mix will weaken just a little. I had to do this because what I found with the 40 Pilot Jets and the Fact that I had put my Needle clip to the last possible notch to make my fuel mix richer.
    This was to rich with the 40’s and the bike was over fuelling on run off as you let go of the throttle and stalling the bike.

Tango
    Participant

So for those interested

My Bike is a Kz750 B1 (1976)

Its running a standard 750 CSR Exhaust

I have upgraded my Carbs to Kawasaki GPZ500s units so they are more reliable and more economic than the standard ones.

To do this I had to swap the standard 38mm inlet rubbers for ones off a 750 CSR these match the 34mm Gpz Carbs.
    I have also had to set up a Choke Cable on the bike. I used a universal pull & twist car type used on old Mini’s

My Carbs are also running Pod Filters as I have done away with the standard air box.

This ment that I have had to adjust Jetting and Needle settings

Main Jets 134/5

Pilot Jets 40’s

Needle setting is 3rd notch up from the bottom.

I have then set my air screws to get the best running I can & then Balanced the Carbs.

This seems to give me quite good running. Well I’m happy and my bike now feels quite smooth. But I will have to get some miles on her as Michael said in a previous reply.

But If I have to make any other changes I will make sure I post them on here.

I hope I haven’t bored you with my obsessive posting of work I’ve done & that this information is of some use to somebody If not now maybe it will be in the future.

Michael
    Participant

Hi Tango,

not sure if I catch that right.

Step 0 is sync the carbs

Step 1 is a constant idle speed.
    Maybe a little bit higher than deserved but constant.

Step 2 is finding the main jet for full throttle and max power.
    I expect that to be very rough in a range from 100# to 150#

Step 3 is doing the adjustment / changes for accelerating from low and mid revs. That is the most used and most loved condition. Here you need the smaller jet, 35# to 40# as you mentioned. Needle position is important here as well.

Step 4 is to solve the stutter / bucking at constant speed. This is hard to cure and needs some efforts.

— Deleted “wrong” document —

Cheers, Michael

Michael
    Participant

Pardon !
    Attachment was compressed to much, it is hard to impossible to read.

Here the same document less compressed just under the 1 MB limit 😉

I love the small graphic at the bottom left hand side !!!

Michael

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 158 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this