Flat Tracker

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 240 total)
  • Author
    beachcomber
    Participant

Remember back when – you guys told me I had a spurious front wheel ???

So here I am re-assembling my newly powder coated wheels, new bearings and all parts cleaned and detailed ………… “where’s the effing speedo drive retainer plate ” ?????

That was 3 days ago and over 3 hours of searching my not the tidiest in the World garage [ where the KZ was stripped].

So today, I abandoned the Workshop manual and checked out the disassembly pix I took …….. yep – NO speedo drive retaining plate on this model wheel ……….aaarrrgggghhh.

However, I DID find various parts for my next build [ Yam TR1 Cafe Racer ]- rear sets, rear lamp [ Ducati super expensive model ]and my brand new sprockets. Won’t have to search for them in the near future !

Duffy
    Participant

I understand your frustrations beachcomber, if I told you I was still searching for the stanchion tubes for my bsa c12 at my mothers garage sum 30 years later it would be no exaggeration, I remember greasing them and wrapping them up, putting them in a ‘safe’ place whilst I stripped the bike to spray the frame, just can’t remember where that was!!

Looking good though beachcomber it’s good to see the piccies

Duffy

beachcomber
    Participant

Wheels and newly fitted tyres back later today – yes I know – whimped out on fitting them myself !

That’s ONLY because it’s been over 40 years since I last did the job – and I did NOT want to mess up my newly powder coated rims !

All the spindles and furniture have been cleaned primed and painted so I can at least build up the wheels ready for fitting.

Very little to buy now – the rectifier looks suspect [ rusty ! ]and also the stanchions are borderline OK.

The Weber manifold will have to wait until I get back from my Saxony chill break [ 4th Sept ], when I hope to get the chassis rolling and have the tank and panels prepped ready for paint.

Looks like “Zinc Yellow” or the new BMW Mini pale yellow will get the nod.

beachcomber
    Participant

All done – no scratches and balanced ………….. just £20 lighter !

beachcomber
    Participant

Just a few more jobs before I go off for my Saxony chill break

beachcomber
    Participant

All the odds are now off for Gold passivating – sprockets, spindles, nuts and bolts, springs, spacers etc.,etc.

All be sitting for me waiting when I get back from Saxony.

beachcomber
    Participant

Great holiday – not so great return – collected my “Gold” passivating, only to find they’d done it bright Zinc !!!

And not very good at that. Fortunately most of the bad parts are unseen, but I know they’re there ! OK – it was a freebie, but I’d rather have paid and had it Gold !

On the plus side I came to reassemble the fork legs and on removing the springs fully – found that the PO had replaced them and they are virtually new progressive units. On the minus side, the fork stanchion top nuts will need replacing. After slackening one off 1/2 a turn it just pinged off – virtually NO thread left on the alloy. That could have been fun riding along ! The fork leg stanchions are in good condition where they need to be – but are badly corroded on the upper part between the yokes. The PO had painted them Black [!]- my solution is to slip some bright polished alloy tube over them – simples ! There’s also a small amount of corrosion just below the bottom yoke, but that is covered by the fork gaitors and is not in any critical area.

Front wheel now assembled with disc and just awaiting final parts – speedo drive and covers.

I ordered a good s/h front caliper as mine is past saving – slightly different position of the bleed screw [ KZ650 /750 / 900 ], but as long as the rest matches up, I’m good to go.

Just given the engine a pre- jet wash soaking in Gunk – I’ve given up on all the promises of “Yea, I’ll do that for you” from the steam cleaners.Once it’s all cleaned up and painted, it can go down to my pal for the 40DCOE Weber manifold to be made up.

beachcomber
    Participant

Slow but sure progress. Pre-assembled the swing arm and rear wheel spindle to make sure everything is there and fits ! The front wheel / hub now all assembled. Just waiting for the front brake caliper to arrive then I can prep, paint and install.

The rear caliper came apart OK and the piston / bore is good, so I’ll order a seal kit and we’re GTG. Couldn’t resist a swift wire brushing and paint in Black texture paint!

New rear sprocket attached ready for final assembly of the rear wheel – just need to find the mounting nut that pinged off the bench and has thwarted all attempts to find it.

Speedo and R/C cables have been stripped / cleaned / oiled and reassembled ready for installation.

Second spray of Gunk on the motor today – it’s going to be a bit of a mission to prep it for paint.

The paint arrived today – “Zinc Yellow” and is spot on for the shade I had hoped for. I’ll be painting my Vanguard Estate Hot Rod the same colour ! Bonus it’s on special offer at the moment, so I’ll get another 2.5 litres JIC.

Tomorrow will be a paint prep day – mudguard, seat and side panels. The tank is still a couple of days away from being properly patterned, then I can prep that.

I need a pair of GOOD fork top nuts if anyone has any ???

beachcomber
    Participant

How to cheat with dodgey fork stanchion top tubes – slip some nice polished alloy tube over !

Final rub down and prep mudguard, seat base and side panels. Just going to blow them over in Zinc Etch primer and hope they don’t react !

beachcomber
    Participant

My pal just arrived back from the US where he’s spent the last 4 months working on his property – and gathering bits for us both for various projects !

He came back with 2 x Harbor Freight [ GBFO Machine Mart type shop ]spray guns. Superb quality and one’s got a 1.8 nozzle [ for Metalflake ]- get this £6 EACH !

Also found a pair of NOS top fork nuts [ mine have NO thread ! ]for £35.

The NOS Rectifier also arrived.

My replacement front caliper arrived yesterday – and true to the description – it is as new. However, I now find out the odd parts of my front end have come back to bite me !

The bike’s PO modified the OEM caliper mount to suit the fork leg mounts. Hopefully ALL I have to do is swap the mounts over.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

I should have a spare mount if your interested?

beachcomber
    Participant

KK,

thanx for that. The one picured is the one off the bike when I got it, the new one has a curved mounting bracket and the centres on that are too close together.

I’ll measure up what I need and let you know.

beachcomber
    Participant

Here’s the new one

beachcomber
    Participant

The “new” caliper was reputed to have done less than 6K miles on the bike from new, and I can well believe it.Even the pads look new !

Came apart real easy and it IS just a case of swapping the mounts over [ at least I think ! ] Initially it looked all wrong – until I realised that on my bike the caliper is in front of the wheel spindle !

Rip off of the day ………….. a rear caliper seal kit [ complete ]which consists of the 2 piston seals and the 4 little boots that go over the fixing bolts [ grease retainers ? ] . £32.95 + P&P.

Just the two piston seals £3.99 [ inc P&P ].

Fortunately I have a spare set and the ones that came off the rear caliper were OK anyway.

I had to move the Facet fuel pump back a tad on the electrics plate to clear the hose connection. Rectifier and regulator mounted, just waiting for a 4 way fuse box – then [ at some stage ] the fun of wiring begins !

I also decided to start mounting up the handlebar controls while I was waiting for paint to dry on the caliper / mount ……..now where DID I put that Clutch lever mount. THREE hours later I found it under the bench – oh well at least I found it. I’ll be using one of those mini trail type handlebar switches as I only need horn and start facilities.

beachcomber
    Participant

Here’s a little tip ………. ever had trouble with those pesky fork drain plug screws ?

I replaced mine with these 4mm x 10mm stainless button Allen head jobbies [ and washers / fibre washers ] which will make any future removal a breeze.

Here’s the difference between the front caliper mounts. PO modified unit on the left [ stating the bleeding obvious ]

After carefully repositioning the Facet fuel pump – I suddenly realised I hadn’t mounted the coil !!!!!!!!!!!!

As I want all the electrics in the underseat tray / box I’ll have to check that out.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 240 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this