Flat Tracker

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 240 total)
  • Author
    beachcomber
    Participant

So, collect the box of powder coating and off home to assemble the forks – finally…………..but no – THEY’RE THE WRONG COLOUR – AGAIN!!!

After contemplating painting them Black – I decided, no I have PAID for these to be the colour I picked.

Back again, this time there’s a different guy there. He immediately spots the difference and tells me the correct colour is “3020”, not “3016”.

While they’re on the back foot, I slip in that the cush drive housing needs to be the same colour while they’re at it !

So, this weekend’s plans are out of the window.

Sort out the stainless cap heads for the frame attachments and finalise the seat mounts / undertray / side panel closer.

The side panel will actually follow the curve of the seat bottom, rather than the frame as shown.

Maybe a couple of louvres at the back for detail, not sure.

beachcomber
    Participant

All PC back now – and the right colour ! Just waiting for the cush drive housing [ also Red ]and the engine plates [ Black ].

I decided to have the tank shotblasted as there were so many layers of paint, and some obvious sub-strata issues. Glad I did – just take a look at the GRP repairs ! A couple of them hadn’t been etched properly to the metal and were coming off anyway.

I decided to remove the cap as
    A – I don’t have a key, and
    B – The chrome had started to bubble.

When it was off I realised that the “key” is just a flat blade [!] so I decided to flat the whole lot off and here it is in etch primer.

Tank was etch primed ready for a proper repair and prep job.

beachcomber
    Participant

Started pre-assembly of some of the small parts to make sure there’s no issues – OK so far.

Fitted the new taper headstock bearings and trial fit yokes – couldn’t resist trying out the instruments !

First dollop of filler on the tank – not too bad and should shape up OK.

Early next week it’s build up wheel bearings and fit Tyres / tubes. Should be fun, the last time I changed a tyre was 1974 !!!

lonesome
    Participant

How long before it’s ‘Reddy’? Hahahaha..haha…..ha. I’ll get me coat. Nice one son keep em coming.

beachcomber
    Participant

If you think this one is RED, check out my Guzzi LeMans Cafe Racer I built 20 years ago.

Called “Simply Red” [ and NOTHING to do with that twat of a warbler of the same name ].

I did eventually relent and put stainless exhausts and Contis on it as gentle relief from the redness !

Here it is part finished and just before a Danish collector offered me an obscene amount of money for it [ which I took ! ]

Just looked at the pix again – surely NOT the same Red as the KZ !!!

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

As a Tottenham supporter I am unable to get any joy from ‘Dark Pink’ colours. That word (DER backwards) is banned in my house.

I must be honest though with the painted engine it is far to much in my opinion.

lonesome
    Participant

Must admit I find myself agreeing with KaptainSensible. I actually like the colour, but these things need highlights and contrast. Also, the Guzzi engine is nothing but an air compressor with carbs 😛

beachcomber
    Participant

KK,LS,

thanx for your interest . yes the Guzzi DID get some sparkly bits to break up the Red.

So you reckon I shouldn’t do the KZ engine in wrinkle Red then !!!!

That WAS an original thought when I started the project, but yes, it will be wrinkle matt Black.

The new matt textured finish on the front brake union.

beachcomber
    Participant

Trying to keep the momentum going now, as I know there’ll be a delay while I’m waiting for the Gold Passivating.

Cush drive back [ correct colour ! ] and assembled with new bearing and seal. Also some small parts back from PC’s in Satin Black.

I started fitting the bearings for the rear wheel, then realised I’m having to wait for the spacer to come back from Passivating – yes I KNOW you can’t see it inside the hub !!

Front mudguard fettled and primered – final flat and then experiment with the colour [ STILL don’t know !

I got the side panels cut by AC last weekend – spot on, just a final fit and fettle and it’s work out how to make the fixings.

lonesome
    Participant

It’s June. The sun is shining, the clothes are lightweight. As you drive along you find your head magnetically swivelling round as you pass by –
    A: A beautiful woman mostly failing to conceal magnificent breasts with a semi-transparent white blouse and hot-pants from a 70’s chocolate commercial?
    B: A pillar box?

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

haa haa.

I hope you weren’t on the bike at the time though . . .

beachcomber
    Participant

Seat has had final flat with 400 and is ready for the final primer coat – better decide on a colour soon ! I’ve looked at a couple of Pale Yellows, still undecided !

I’ve knocked the first swipe of filler back on the tank – and while I was at it, I decided to change the outline subtly. Maybe 2 more goes and we’ll be ready for primer. I ran out of time today, but I’ll get the front m/g flatted and in final primer in the next few days.

Just got to finalise the method of fixing the side panels and then I’ll get them etch primed and prepped.

beachcomber
    Participant

I’ve ordered some rubber Rivnuts to attach the side panels – should work OK.

In the meantime seat now has final flat and primer. Final flat with 600 next week – I like to allow plenty of time for the paint to surface harden.

Front m/guard has final flat with 400 and then same process as the seat.

The tank will take a few more hours yet to get the shape symetrical before that’s ready for final prep.

beachcomber
    Participant

Arrrrggghhhh – for some reason the rattle can primer coat has reacted – WITH THE BAR COAT!!!

Anyway, I now have my compressor all set up and a good stock of cellulose thinners, primer surfacer, etc. to do the job properly – annoying.

beachcomber
    Participant

New front wheel bearings fitted, went to fit the rears – wrong bearings !

How do they manage that – both from the same supplier. Ah well.

New bearings should be here Monday then wheels are ready to have tyres fitted.

As soon as I get the passivated spindles and bolts back I can fit the swing arm and get the chassis rolling .. what could possibly go wrong ?????????

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 240 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this