Flat Tracker

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 240 total)
  • Author
    Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

That’s great news with your test results Beachcomber and probably as good as could be hoped for.

It’s also good to see your enthusiasm back and progress again being made on your twin project.

Keep up the good work

KK

P.S. Check your wanted post for response to a head

beachcomber
    Participant

The rear brake mech. is now all finished and painted – Satin Black. The rod actuator arm was bent [?] meaning the rod had been fouling the frame slightly – straightened that out while I was at it, nice smooth operation now. The 7mm [ 8mm tap ] drill finally arrived and I was able to drill and tap the boss to retain the lever. The original thread had broken off at some stage in the past.

While I had the rattle can out I gave the seat and mudguard a final coat – seat ready for the upholsterer now. Just have to decide on Red or Black leather. I have several hides [ perforated Jag hides ] left over from my Replica Car manufacturing days – might as well use some of them up and sell the rest off !

Brackets also made for the front “race number plate” [ Flat Tracker style ]this will hold a couple of very small Eagle Eye LED units as daylight running lamps.I have a couple of matching ones in Red to act as rear running lights.

I have to check the MOT requirements first as I will be running a daylight MOT.

The re-conned 40DCOE arrived Friday [ good old e-bay ] and apart from some detailing [ paint ? ]it’s all ready. Jets and chokes etc. will be a bit of a guesstimate initially, but I’m sure I’ll get there. I’ll need to make up some sort of support for the rear of the carb. as it’s slightly heavier than the original set up.

beachcomber
    Participant

Final coats of satin Black on rear brake assembly. Final mounting brackets fitted to seat base ready for upholstery.

Just need to finalise design for upholstery and colour of leather – Black vs Red.

Michael
    Participant

I would go for a black seat 😉
    Otherwise the red is almighty.

beachcomber
    Participant

Yes – agree with that Michael. I had a Guzzi Cafe Racer many years ago that was “all Red” including a Red suede seat !

Yes with the Black – Suede side or Leather side ? Has to be Red stitching I guess ! The leather is a perforated [ Jag ] hide. I finished the seat mounting brackets off today – so it’s ready to go to the upholsterer this weekend.

I made a second knock down pass on the tank – much closer now, and doesn’t look too far away with a coat of primer filler. However, we all know how that flatters the finish !

Tripped over my Grimeca hubbed / braked Borrani rims in the shed – surplus from the sale of my TR1 Cafe Racer as the buyer didn’t want them [ !! ]. The rear hub is from an XS650 Yam and the spindle fits !

The front spindle is nowhere near – but I’ve now got a tame stainless spindle maker …………..hhhmmmm.

It’s unlikely I’ll get the cost of them back [ close to £1800 with build, tyres etc.]…… Maybe

beachcomber
    Participant

The Flat track seat I’d painted Black looked totally wrong with the Yellow [ and Red ]and there was little chance of taking the paint off without damaging the GRP.

New seat base ordered and luckily exactly the same model – so I could just copy and swap the mods over from the old seat saving me re-inventing the wheel [ or seat ! ].

First rough cuts done and holes re-drilled. I’ll fettle it properly tomorrow against the side panels, then it’s ready for prep and painting process. I WON’T be using Barcoat this time !

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Ha Ha I don’t blame you there.

I am getting quite intrigued as to how the finished item is going to look.

beachcomber
    Participant

First rough mods to new seat – holes, trimming to fit frame tubes, mounts etc.

The actual product is a bit rough in places, so will need a bit of prep before I’m ready for paint.

I have to fettle the seat [ front sides ] to the side panels – then the prep work begins.

beachcomber
    Participant

The tank has had it’s second “shaping” pass and heavy primer filler coat. Next comes the matt Black guide coat, rub down and final filler / shaping. Not too far away now !

The seat has been prepped [ it was quite rough in places ]and primer filler coated. Not too much remedial work thankfully.

beachcomber
    Participant

Hi Andy – pm’ing issues again !

3 sets of Weber conversion flanges winging their way to you tomorrow morning via Hermes.

Oooops nearly forgot – length of tube 30mm.

Here’s a couple of pix of the initial “will it work” [ or “proof of concept” as we design engineers call it ! ]mock up.

TJ

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

No problem mate. As soon as I receive them we will get on with the fabrication.

We WILL make it work

beachcomber
    Participant

KK,

Sorry for the rush earlier !

My PC is playing up – using this tablet thingy.Can’t post pix, but probably clear from the previous pix ? Let me know if any probs

TJ

beachcomber
    Participant

Just checked my own thread !! The flanges are orientated as in the page of the thread.

beachcomber
    Participant

Point of no return – I decided to fit the polished brass Monza filler cap after all. Which meant grinding off the original fitting moun. After which the stamped depression surrounding the OEM cap looked all wrong. More work – that needs losing. More filler !

Can’t access the internet from my PC at the moment – as I’ve been hacked AGAIN !!

Once I sort out my loaned lap top, I’ll post some pix.

Rear wheel ( alloy ex. Vindicator ) has now been cleaned up and awaiting me finding the “safe place” I put the hub and sprocket!

beachcomber
    Participant

Point of no return – I decided to fit the polished brass Monza filler cap after all. Which meant grinding off the original fitting moun. After which the stamped depression surrounding the OEM cap looked all wrong. More work – that needs losing. More filler !

Can’t access the internet from my PC at the moment – as I’ve been hacked AGAIN !!

Once I sort out my loaned lap top, I’ll post some pix.

Rear wheel ( alloy ex. Vindicator ) has now been cleaned up and awaiting me finding the “safe place” I put the hub and sprocket!

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 240 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this