14th May 2016 at 6:13 pm #5984
Well I have been missing for a while. But I have been squirreling away.
I’ve got some work to do, I’ve been told by one of our German friends? Peter I think? That to Cafe my B1 would be a Crime! Apparently it an Early one according to the Frame Number. So I have to put it back to normal… Well Normal ish!? I have to put my own stamp on it! It was never ment to be a full referb job back to standard. It’s just getting my Standard a mix of ok looks and usability!
So most of the parts have now been collected and I guess it’s time to come out of hibernation and see what can be done.14th May 2016 at 6:21 pm #13242
Today I have started on the new tail piece I’m going to have to fit! I’ve bathed it and de striped it and used some thinners to get the rest of the residue of the pin stripe glue off. I have to change the tail unit because the one fitted to the Nike at the moment has had some mods done to it and has no inner lip to fit the light surround to. 🙁
Unfortunately I can no longer get the silver pin stripes that I used on my 1St paint job, so I’m going to use a Red and Silver one now and I’m going to replace the tank for one that is a little bit better than the one on now! So I’m going to have to to a full respray and pinstripe the tank in the same Red and Silver pin stripe as the new tail unit.14th May 2016 at 8:06 pm #13235KaptainkwakKeymaster
IMG-20160514-WA0017.jpg14th May 2016 at 8:11 pm #13243
DSC_0025.JPG14th May 2016 at 8:11 pm #13244
DSC_0026.JPG14th May 2016 at 8:16 pm #13245
The above photos are of where I’m at…
I did have some work to get to this stage, and there is plenty more to do.14th May 2016 at 8:39 pm #13246
I started by getting the old pinstripes off.. I use a hairdryer to heat up the old adhesive on the pinstriping to aid it’s removal.14th May 2016 at 8:40 pm #13247
IMG-20160514-WA0025.jpg14th May 2016 at 8:44 pm #13248
Once I had got all of the striping off, I got some paint thinners and an old rag to remove the rest of the sticky glue off where the pinstriping had been.
IMG-20160514-WA0023.jpg14th May 2016 at 8:54 pm #13249
Then I started on the replacement tank I’m going to use.
I had to drill out a couple of the tank badge screws, as the old rusty heads had stripped out trying to remove them with a screwdriver.Once I had got the badge off I had to heat up the metal bracket to get it to expand so I could get some pliers on the screw and hopefully remove the left stub without damaging the fine thread so I would be able to refit some nice New stainless steel ones I’ve managed to get. 🙂
IMG-20160514-WA0022.jpg14th May 2016 at 8:55 pm #13250
IMG-20160514-WA0024.jpg14th May 2016 at 8:59 pm #13251
Luckley I did manage to get the little blighter out without any damage to threads.
IMG-20160514-WA0019.jpg14th May 2016 at 9:04 pm #13252
Then whilst I had the blow torch out I decided to see if I could address a small dent in the front left hand side of the tank. I hoped that by heating the metal around the outside of the dent that it would pull the dent out as it cooled down, and I get a metal bar and got it inside the tank to help push on the back of the dent area hoping I could at least reduce the size and depth of the dent!
IMG-20160514-WA0017.jpg14th May 2016 at 9:06 pm #13253
I manage to reduce it but a little filler is still going to be needed.
IMG-20160514-WA0018.jpg14th May 2016 at 9:28 pm #13236KaptainkwakKeymaster
Keep it up.
Don’t make me get my whip out!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.