Tangos B1.. The Next Step.. :-)

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Projects and Progress Progress Reports Tangos B1.. The Next Step.. :-)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Tango
    Participant

Hard to see… But it’s standing out to me!!

DSC_0054.JPG

Tango
    Participant

I think I’m going to have to live with it!

I have used a Metallic Pearl Paint and if I keep adding more paint to try and get it sorted, I risk changing the colour of the tank,it will start to appear darker! And if I try to rub it down to much to get rid of it! The paint will start to go lighter in patches where it thins to much!… That’s the problem with Pearl Paint!

It’s not bad from a distance, I think I’m just going to have to live with it!

DSC_0050.JPG

Tango
    Participant

DSC_0051.JPG

And it isn’t too bad from the side.

By the time I get the pinstripes on and the Tank Badges in place. I’m hoping that it will look good enough. 😉

Michael
    Participant

It looks good, mate !

Tango
    Participant

Ok… Things are sent to test us..
    I had got to the stage of pinstriping the tank… But I tried to use a Petrol Resistant Lacquer. Is isn’t any good! It is so thick it clogged the spray nozzle up not even half way through the tin.. And it is a product that you can not respray over as it will react!!

Tango
    Participant

DSC_0060.JPG

This is where I’d got upto…
    And a coat and a half of lacquer

Tango
    Participant

_20160522_195810.JPG

This is where in back down to.
    I have had to remove all the pinstriping, and start to sand all the lacquer back off!!
    It is a long hard and soul destroying process! 🙁

But if I want to get any kind of decent finish on the tank… I’m afraid it has to be done!

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

That’s a real bummer buddy.

Don’t let it break your heart. You had done an amazing job up to that point. This time you are armed with more knowledge. You will pull it back!

Mikeonabike
    Participant

🙁

Tango
    Participant

Well the problems keep on Rolling.. 🙁
    I’ve managed to rub all the old lacquer off…my bloody fingers are killing!!
    Part of the problem is that where I have had to rub born near edges, yhe paint has gone back to metal in some places. So I’ve have to put down some primer to give the new paint a key to stick to.

Problem is that even though I have rubbed all the lacquer off I’m still getting a reaction when I try and do this!… So I’m afraid there’s nothing
    I can do…But Smash it up with a Big Hammer!!!.

No only joking.. I’m going to have to sand it back to Flat off any reaction cracks and completely seal the remaining paint with an isolator primer.

_20160524_133303.JPG

beachcomber
    Participant

I had a similar situation with my tank and seat cowl. Decided to spray a coat of Barcoat isolator before getting down to actual finishing with primer and top coat. Because I’m basically a sad old fart – I stick to what I know – Cellulose.

Anyway the primer reacted with the Barcoat !!! Oooops – that’s not supposed to happen.

I was that gutted after all the prep and work – I couldn’t face hours,/ days of rubbing back and even then not being certain there would not be a future reaction. So – I had the tank media blasted back to bare metal [ £20 ] ! Yes revealed all sorts of dings and dents – but at least I knew I would be starting again without any lurking problems.

The seat was another matter as it was GRP – solution, buy another seat base ! [£35 ]

Good luck.

Tango
    Participant

_20160902_164347.JPG

It’s a crying shame, but I have to have a go at trying to save this tank.. So I’ve had to start from scratch. Rubbed it down and Base coated it with an isolator primer! 🙁

kaye
    Participant

Oh dear that’s sad i know what it’s like when paint does that 😡
    i use 2k and stick with it though some spakle metallic base coat are solvent based and you use 2k thinners with it, and the candy colour lacquer to go over it is a 2k paint but use an activator to make it go off, it can be a mine field if your not sure what goes with what!…..got my new 50 litre compressor for my workshop this week can’t wait to get spraying! good luck huni …

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hang on in there Tango. As Kaye has seen you get out of these babies what you put in. It will be worth it in the end. I’ll be over tomorrow to help take her to the next stage.

Tango
    Participant

Well KK came over, we have put some Fine Tuning exercises in on my B1!

First we took the coils off and lifted the rocker cover. We checked the shims
    One was out, so it got changed. We also checked the valve timing and found it not quite right… So changes were made until KK was happy. We also checked and fine tuned the ignition timing.
    Then we turned our attention to the carbs as mine has a different set on now from what I went to Belgium on, because Maggie stole that set and refused to give them back.
    We cleaned and made various changes, with a possible Plug Breaking down diagnosed as well.. The last run of the day felt promising! So a Massive Thank You to KK for yet more of his time!

I’m off work tomorrow so I’m hoping to get out and give the bike a good run to see if everything is indeed now working as it should!

Here’s Hoping! 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this