B1 Project Started.

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Projects and Progress New Projects B1 Project Started.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 158 total)
  • Author
    Tango
    Participant

I woke up this morning far to early for a Sunday,with this electrical problem ,running around my head!

I had a thought what if id trapped a couple of wires of the new bulb harness when I put the new ignition switch in? Maybe id caught a Brown wire and a black and yellow wire and pinched them together when I reassembled the unit?

So at 5am this morning I found myself in the garage taking the clocks off the bike,and taking them inside,to be stripped down to check once id made a brew! I’m not that daft!
    Tango-kawasaki-clocks-checked

Tango
    Participant

OK Ive checked the wires inside the clocks can’t see anything out of place or any wiring insulation problems? … It was worth a look though to rule it out!

While i’m on does anybody know if the small chrome bucket type shroud that covers the bottom yoke/triple tree,under the headlamp fitting is the same as the kz750 that was on the Z650? I need one and can only find 650 ones for sale?

Tango
    Participant

Back down to basics! There’s plenty of ups and downs & Back and forth! with these projects!
    Tango-kawasaki-wiring-sorted

Tango
    Participant

Well I guess its time for a quick update.

Well what an up date it is! KK came down on Saturday and gave me some of his time, 1st off he has managed to sort out my ignition switch problem! and what with that sorted! He only went and got the old girl to fire up!
    Yep that’s right folks! She Lives!

There’s work to do on the carbs yet,But she ran, Once more she breathed fire! So i’m one Very Happy Chappy!

I spent last night refurbishing fuel taps, so I can try and get her own fuel tank supplying her fuel.

I did a little bit of surgery to make the best of what I had.

Tango-kawasaki-z750-project

Tango
    Participant

I ended up sorting out two taps.But I have two tanks,so i’m hoping I can use one for each tank?

But they are two different types?

One has three outlets Two out of the back and one on a movable pivot on the side. The one on the movable pivot is capped off with a black rubber cap.

The other fuel tap has two outlets at 90 degrees to each other. I think this one is for my bike?

Here’s a photo of the two taps,Can anyone help with identifying them?

Tango
    Participant

The two taps looked the same inside,in fact the body’s of the taps seemed to be the same cast used but with different outlets used or the cast left blanked off, you can see this on the photo of the two taps.
    The tap with three outlets has the 90 degree port still cast blank, as is the tap with just the two outlets, The rear facing outlet only has one port used where as the tap with three outlets uses Both rear facing ports?

( I hope that made sense?)

The tap with the three ports seems to have a longer pick up pipe for the “On” position by about 1cm.( I think this would just mean you have to turn to reserve sooner,but have more miles left in the bike whilst on reserve?)

But they are the same set up inside.

Tango
    Participant

Heres a better photo of the taps with differant ports used, And you can see what I mean abot the lenght of the pick up pipes.

Tango
    Participant
    Quote:
    Michael wrote:
    Hi Tango,
    I wrote a long story but couldn’t post it => time out ;-(
    Go for the K+Ns, it is like a music instrument ;-)))
    Main jets 5 to 10% larger,
    needle may be good in position 4 (counted from top)
    idle jet can stay the same or just one number larger.
    Good luck !
    Michael

Hi Michael

When you say main jets 5-10% bigger, Do you know what you fitted? I’m not sure if I have standard carbs to start with,or if somebody has changed jets in them before? I have a whole box of carb bits and screws, needles and jets? that had been collected over a long time.

So if you can remember what set up you put in your bike, Id do the same if it is working for you!

BS34 (LTD) carb story with lot of photos at http://www.z750twin.de/vergaser.htm

Tango
    Participant

Right I have been doing some serching and have come up with this….

Carbs fitted by Kawasaki were Mikuni BS38 X 2

Main Jets = 125

Needle Jet Badge# = Z-2

Jet Needle = 4HL12-3

Pilot Jet = 40

Starter Jet = 50

Design Fuel Level = 30 +/- 1mm

Service Fuel Level = 5.5 +/- 1mm

So thats the stock Starting point.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Well based on all the info supplied so far i would suggest as follows;

Your petrol tap should have 2 outlets. I don’t know what bike the one with 3 outlets is off but it appears to me that the blanked off spiggot is a mod to allow it to work on your bike. If you decide to use this one then make sure the spiggot is sealed properly.

From working with Samuri’s ‘G’ twin with pods we got it running quite well on 128 jets, all else remained as standard.
    Michael suggested +5 to 10%. This is equivalent to +0.625 to 1.25 in jet size so you would be looking at a 126 jet. My suggestion would be to see what jets you already have. If you have any or all 126, 127 & 128 i would suggest you have the ones you need. The only way to know is to systematically try each to find your best result.

Tango
    Participant

Cheers KK!

As its a nice day today, and no breeze, I have got the lacquer down on the body panels 🙂

Michael
    Participant

Hi Tango,
    I was away to attend a large fair for one week and in the meanwhile you have done good work 😉

Are the lines sprayed, pinstriped or decals?

Regarding the main jet, I can only provide data for the BS34 carbs which are fairly different from the BS38 so that wouldn’t help.
    As you stated the standard main jet is 125. If you add 5% on that it will be 131,25. I would go for testing a 132 when using a stock exhaust. I you are using a “high flow” undamped exhaust it may be larger. If you have a 128 on hand you can try it as well.
    You can only find the correct size of main jets when driving full throttle. As long as you just test it when slowly driving round the block you will not find the difference.
    With K+N filters attached and a to small main jet you may help yourself using some tape round the filters to reduce the amount of air they can soak in. You may cover half of the filter to feel the difference.
    Cheers, Michael

Tango
    Participant

Hi Michael

Thank you for getting back to me.

All this Carb setting up stuff is new to me,so any info is a great help.

I have a set of 750 carbs here ready to strip down and clean up,& re jet. and I have some new stainless bolts to replace the old worn screws.So once Ive got my jets sorted I can get on with that.

The lines on the tank and the tail unit,Ive done with twin line silver pinstripe on a roll, I have just put it on following the curves of the tank,and on the tail unit I tried to mimic the original lines that the tail piece had before?

I have just gone with what I thought looked good and took my time with the paint work & striping.
    Once I was happy with the look I have lacquered over it all,so the pin striping will not rub off.(I Hope!) 😕

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

TANGO

I have totaly messed up with my figures in my previous post about jetting. I was working with 0.5% to 1% and not 5% to 10%. My apologise.

I agree with what Michael has suggested. From my experience with other twins i would be looking at a range of 128 to 132 so any of these should start quite easily and be minimum adjustment if it doesn”t run properly.

KK

Tango
    Participant

Ok I have stripped down the GPZ500,
    Cleaned them up and checked what jets are in them,and they seem to be 134 main jets and 35 pilot jets,
    the needle is on the 4th clip down?
    There were some extra washers in spacing the needle more? But I don’t know why? I have left those out for now?
    I have also found some KAWASAKI tank badges, So I have been and collected those this morning and fitted them, almost a complete tank now! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 158 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this