Battery?/Charging Problem?

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Technical Garage How To Fix It Battery?/Charging Problem?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 124 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    Participant

Ok, found several pages in the “Kompendium” about this topic.

Let’s start with the coils connected via 3 yellow lines.
    Resistance of line to line should be 0,4 to 0,6 Ohms.
    Measuring each of these lines against MINUS, result must be infinite.

Attached a diagram that shows the rectifier circuit.
    Wiring diagrams are available in this forum 🙂

Other measurements are by far more complex, need additional temporary wiring.
    Please find a guy who has the english language workshop manual.
    It is by far to complex to translate and to describe here.
    I don’t want to cause severe damage to your electrics by wrong translation ! 😉

Cheers, Michael

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Cheers guys your help is most appreciated. Michael I fully respect your comments on translation and i will find the correct English information.

Tango has more than one issue here. His starter motor circuit is incomplete at the moment so may deceive diagnosis. The mechanics of the circuit are all in place with the suspected exception of the rollers and springs in the starter clutch itself. That is the main reason he wishes to remove the left hand cover. While the cover is of he will inspect the coils etc for obvious damage. He will also fit the missing rollers while he is in there. The 2nd issue is that the starter solenoid is not operating correctly. He has a new handlebar switch gear so that should be fine. We will check each part of the circuit that feeds the solenoid and if ok we will replace the solenoid.

His potential charging problem is a separate issue. We do not know what the voltage was when the battery was fitted so therefore cannot say the charging circuit has an issue yet. The battery is currently on charge and showing promising results so far reading 12.3 at the moment.

Assuming all is well with the coils we will check each component and the wiring on the charging circuit. The connections will be clean and well insulated so do not worry there.

Once all this has been done we will report back.

Once again thank you for your knowledge and help so far.

Tango
    Participant

Hi Michael

I am going to remove that cover, Not so much to look for the electrical problem.

Yes I will check I have no trapped or damaged wires while it is off.

But I need to take my starter clutch off to see if I have any of the springs and rollers in it?
    My starter just spins the big cog and little cog with the chain on, It does not lock up and turn the engine.

I hear what Dougyt said and I need to sort my electric problem 1st before fixing a starter.

But the fact is I need to know if I need to order a starter clutch kit
    So I have to strip it down to see what’s needed?

And I have a day off work on Wednesday so this is something I can do on my own. With a bit of luck a local supplier may even have a kit in stock.

Michael
    Participant

Hi Tango,
    hi KK,

thanks for simultaneous explaination 🙂

Tango, be sure to have a new alternator cover gasket on hand, too 🙂

Cheers, Michael

Michael
    Participant

Just had a look at the rectifier circuit diagram again.
    All three cables from the “Armature” goes into a 3-way-rectifier bridge.
    In the end it should be fine to connect all three cables to it in any order and it should work.
    Cheers, Michael

Tango
    Participant

Hi Guys

I think I have a new gasket in my spares Cheers for that Michael But I have some Gasket in a tube if all else fails? 😳

I have got the cover off now!

Tango
    Participant

Opps Same photo twice.

The Battery had been on charge over night and it was on the Maintain setting on the Datatool Charger. I have unplugged it while I work on the bike and I will take a reading before I come in tonight.

I am just about to see if I can find a spare B axle to get the starter clutch off! The more jobs I can get done before my day off on Wednesday the more Time I will have to fix what I find?

Tango
    Participant

Here’s what Im upto with the starter clutch, as you can see the cogs & chain are there but KK strongly thinks I am missing the springs & Rollers to lock it all up!

Tango
    Participant

Well I guess this will be my new Bible for the forseable future! 😳

And look what I got my grubby hands on today to! 🙂

The Service manual says I need a special tool to lock the flywheel? I carnt remember how Andy did it? & it looks different to his! 😕

BONUS! On my Owner’s Manual & Rings though!
    The Manual is off a B4 but hey beggars carnt be choosers! and I recon most of the info in there will be roughly the same? 😉

Michael
    Participant

Hi Tango,

congrats to the manuals 🙂

But especially the part you need with Alternator/Rec/Reg etc. is specific to the B1 and B2 models only !!!

Starter clutch is the same, don’t worry 🙂

I am a fan of solid paper gaskets over “tubed” gaskets only 🙂
    I treat the solely use of “tubed” gasket as an emergency repair, not as a mean for standard maintainance.

Cheers, Michael

PS: Enjoy your new “bible” ;-)))

Tango
    Participant

Thanks Michael

I will try and only use a propper gasket But I will keep the tube for emergency fixes only 🙂

I did notice a little scoring on the inside of the flywheel bit? Is this ok or will it have damaged anything?

Oh and thw Battery looks a lot healthier that it did yesterday 🙂

Michael
    Participant

Ah, forgot the answer about rotor issues.

Is there any progress in ordering the rotor puller screws?

The rotor holder will be different for a B1/B2 or the B3/B4 and LTD/CSR as the rotor itself is different !

It is extremely important to fix the rotor and it’s LH (left hand) screw firmly and to use medium Loctite on it.
    If that screw is not fastened enough, at least the starter clutch again will not work.
    Not to think about further “behaviour” and damage that may appear !

I prefer to fix that screw with a “pneumatic screwer” [ger: Schlagschrauber], as known from “professional car tire change services”. Sounds a bit like a maschine gun. A rotor holder is not required when this is used 🙂

Cheers, Michael

Tango
    Participant

I think you mean what we would call an Air Gun.

Or Air Impact Driver for use with a compressor

Alas I don’t have one of those! But maybe Santa could bring me one for Christmas Next Year!

Michael
    Participant

Hi Tango,

that scoring itself is not a big story.
    Maybe it had touched the outer metal ring of the inner coil.
    It is all very tight in there and within the mechanical production limits at that time (37 years ago!) it might happen.

You may check mounting position of inner coil to correct that.
    Unscrew just a little bit, move it a bit within its limits and tighten it again may help.

Cheers, Michael

Michael
    Participant

ThanX,
    Air Impact Driver is the word I’ve missed 🙂
    M

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 124 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this