Battery?/Charging Problem?

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Technical Garage How To Fix It Battery?/Charging Problem?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 124 total)
  • Author
    Tango
    Participant

I then put the Red electrode on each of the 3 pins in turn with the black earthed to the engine case.

I got no change in the reading at all off any of the pins

The reading just stayed at 1.

Tango
    Participant

So Am I correct in saying that With the test from each pin to the engine case. This shows that I have No short from the stator to the case!

But I also think the test on each of the yellow wires shows I have No resistance in the yellow wires! This is Bad isn’t it?

Tango
    Participant

??? I haven’t put the foot rests & gear lever back on! As I have a feeling I’m going to be dropping the oil and stripping it all back down again! 🙁

dougyt
    Participant

That checks out just fine Tango. The coils are all connected together at one end and not to earth, and as they are long single wires in each coil you should have very little resistance between each pin.

Tango
    Participant

OK I have found the Manual I have got is a B4 manual, So Not the same as my bike!

But would you say what I HAVE DONE is right?

Tango
    Participant

Here is what the manual I have says.

Tango
    Participant

That says I should get 0.32 ohms

I get .001?

Is that not wrong I am confused!

Tango
    Participant

I have Just noticed I have Blown my Neutral Bulb again!

This comes from the same connecter block as the Exciter coil? (Is that Correct) is this the round spool of wire that sits inside the flywheel?

Tango
    Participant

The bit in the middle that looks like a doughnut

Tango
    Participant

My head is spinning but If I had a short in this circuit would that explain me constantly blowing neutral bulbs & having charging problems!

Tango
    Participant

The wiring diagram in post #70 (Page 7) shows the wiring running up to the neutral light, the block connector where the two circuits join can be seen more clear in post #53(Page 6)

dougyt
    Participant

If you’re using the B4 book things will be different from a B2. If your regulator isn’t working correctly you won’t charge correctly and could blow bulbs (as the neutral light is probably the only one on then that would go first).
    Your manual says there should be a different reading across the coils from what you’re getting, but as long as it’s similar on all pairs of them and not open circuit and not going to earth anywhere I would take that to be near enough. Your meter won’t be that accurate and the slightest resistance across the connections will change the reading (if you haven’t hit the plug connectors nicely or have some crap on them it will change.)

The exciter (field) coil may be causing a fault, check it with your meter again across the two wires. It would be worth checking you get a voltage from the regulator going into the field coil supply wires too.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

I have run through a few more tests with Tango. I am guessing his Field (Exciter) coil/circuit has a fault. Setting the meter to a 2 ohm range we get a reading of 0.03 on each wire. The book tells me this should be 2.7 to 3.4 ohms so I feel this is where the problem lies.

One other thing. The Brown and White wires that go to the Field Coil are both giving positive voltage readings just under 12V. Does anyone know if this is correct?

dougyt
    Participant

Should be giving a voltage across the two wires to feed the coil. Again I’d be satisfied with close enough as far as the ohms across a coil, and shouldn’t you be checking between the two, i.e. one probe on one end of the coil, and one on the other.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

That is what I thought Dougyt. Both wires give a reading of just under 12V when measured to the battery negative. We get minimal resistance on the coil (0.03) so I am feeling one of the wires is wrongly connected and may have damaged the field coil.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 124 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this