Battery?/Charging Problem?

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Technical Garage How To Fix It Battery?/Charging Problem?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 124 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    Participant

What a laugh !
    I’ve got mine as a Christmas present some years ago :-)))

It was my wish, but not having the alternator rotor screw in mind !

An air impact driver is the perfect tool to loosen the low end central screw in front fork legs !!!

If you want to fully dismantle a fork leg this screw must be removed and any bike has it’s own special tool to handle that.
    … or just using an air impact driver and a set of long Inbus/hex nuts and that job is done within seconds 🙂

Cheers, Michael

Tango
    Participant

Ha Ha. . I’ve Told my Wife You have Said I Must Have! one Michael!

Tango
    Participant

Oh? Ok?

I’ve managed to get the flywheel off! 😳

But What Now? It seems that the Rollers are there and they are all free and moving! ? 😕

Michael
    Participant

Hi Tango,

have a look at the german website 🙂

I’ve made a photo story about that:
    http://www.z750twin.de/anlasserfreilauf.htm

You know, Google Chrome offers the translation feature 🙂

German word for starter clutch is “Anlasserfreilauf” in case translation is not fully working.

Hope it is of some help.

Cheers, Michael

Michael
    Participant

Hi Tango,

take off the chain with both sprockets.
    Put the large sprocket back into the rotor (laying down flat on your work bench) as is.

Holding the rotor and try to turn the large sprocket. It should only be possible to turn the rotor with it in one direction. Turning to other direction should be possible without turning the rotor.

That is the main function of the starter clutch.
    If you can turn the sprocket both ways without rotating the rotor anyways, something is wrong ;-)))

A starter clutch repair kit should be used all time !
    No single parts available and makes no sense to just swap single parts.

Let me know how this came out !

Cheers, Michael

PS: Have a look at “my” starter clutch photo story !
    It shows the later alternator since B3 onwards, but starter clutch is the same.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Well this plot is certainly getting thicker. We have done some tests and the starter clutch is working fine. Both sprockets and chain are fine. The only other problem I can see would be a fault with the gears in the starter motor itself. Tango is going to remove that and split the starter motor to check the gears and while in there he is going to clean and check the insides.

Tango
    Participant

Ok I have tried that Michael, and it seems to work as it should. Spins one way and locks up the opposite way.
    I have run my fingers over the face of the large sprocket where the rollers grab the surface and this is in good condition. No major dents or ridges!

But I took both the large and small cogs off complete with the chain.
    And tried to turn the splined shaft of the starter motor where the small cog sits on. And I could turn this with minimal resistance both ways just between my figure and thumb.
    So Stripping the Starter motor is going to be my next job, Or if I have a spare starter on a spare engine just swapping it out?
    Well that’s my job for Wednesday now!
    Thanks for all the help again Guys!

Michael
    Participant

OK guys,
    that’s interesting !
    Never saw that but can imagine.
    Maybe I may have some parts of the starter motor or even a complete starter motor available.
    It is hard to say “Good bye” to one of these 🙁

I don’t understand why the starter motor turns the small and large sprocket via it’s chain, when starter clutch is ok. It should lock and maybe block the electric starter motor !
    Maybe central LH rotor fixing screw is/was not fastened enough !

If something is wrong inside the starter motor, I would expect it turns but above mentioned parts stand still. That would be a definite indicator for something is wrong with the gears inside the starter motor.

Might be a mechanical double failure ?

Cheers, Michael

Michael
    Participant

Tango,

please be careful when removing the nut and the main power cable from the starter.
    As described before, prevent the stud, “fixed” in starter motor from turning !
    It is not really fixed in there !

Cheers, Michael

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

That is like my thinking Michael. If memory serves me right there are 2 gears in the starter motor. When we have made contact and the motor has spun it runs very freely which is why I suspected starter chain then starter clutch. From the starter motor sprocket through to the crank seems to be in good working order so that can only leave the gears in the starter motor to not be working. We are also aware we have other issues to deal with but one step at a time.

Michael
    Participant

Hi KK,

there is still some time left to the belgian(‘s)trip 🙂

Will do my best to support!

Oh, oh, by the way, where is my stairway ???

Have fun !

Cheers, Michael

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Your support Michael is greatly appreciated and helpful. Thank You. Tango’s twin WILL make Belgium as it is. The problems we are dealing with I knew about and were going to be dealt with but Tango is keen and needs to sort them now lol. Well I don’t have anything else to worry about at the moment do I? 😆 😆 😆

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Here is your stairway to heaven

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NMzuQFHJVU[/youtube]

Enjoy 😆

Michael
    Participant

That’s fun !

It helped me to get up to first floor in the bungalow 🙂

Tango
    Participant

So this is the wiring diagram I need for mine.

By the look of it I have a wire that goes to the neutral switch that hooks into the charging system.

Both of which are not working on my bike.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 124 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this