Battery?/Charging Problem?

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Technical Garage How To Fix It Battery?/Charging Problem?

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 124 total)
  • Author
    Tango
    Participant

Well I have built the bike back up tonight to the stage it can be ridden. So back to where we can start trying to trace the charging problem from scratch.?

With a bit of luck Andy is going to try and come down and have a look at the bike with me tomorrow? Lets hope we find out what the problem is. He has a B1 manual so that’s a bonus to. šŸ™‚

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Yes buddy I’m coming in the morning.

Got spares, Manual (book and CD) spare parts and meter at the ready. We will beat this issue tomorrow pal.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Oh and I have Dougyt’s phone numbers too šŸ˜€ šŸ˜†

Tango
    Participant

Get ready to man the Phone Dougtyt, We may need you? :O)

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

B%*SĀ£@$ turned it off!

dougyt
    Participant

I’ve changed my number, and no you can’t have the new one KK šŸ˜‰

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

MMM

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Well the results of today are asw follows;

We did various readings but could not get what the manual was saying in general as we found it confusing and ambiguous and probably did not know what we were doing.

What we did get was;
    With the engine running and warm all 3 yellow wires from the main coil gave a reading of around 14V (ac?). When revs were increased this reading rose to 30+V with 34V being the biggest reading. That told me the Regulator, Field Coil and 3 phase coil are all working fine.

When we checked across the battery we got 12.47V. With time (mins) and increased revs this rose to 12.49V. The rectifier is non standard and I do not know its history it’s at all but I believe we should have got a reading of 14-15 Volts. Am I correct and does this mean the rectifier is suspect?

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

We did a few other minor bits too. We made sure the carb rubbers were sealed and carbs fastened on well. We tweaked the carb mixtures with a ‘Colourtune’ plug. We fitted a return cable. All these things combined help to make the bike run much smoother. Tango is going to check the voltage (before starting her) then take a decent ride and check the voltage again. We will report back when this is done.

Tango
    Participant

Well I took a reading And rode 15 miles! The bike made the ride without any problems!
    But I did loose charge about 1 volt?

We faffed about doing checks on voltage reading with Dougyt talking KK through things on the phone!
    And still struggled to get a correct reading!

We ended up swapping out this part!
    The Regulator.
    This sits behind the electrical mounting plate behind the left hand side panel
    It has a 3 pin connector block with a Brown Green & Black wire.

Tango
    Participant

After we had swapped it for a spare one Andy had, we checked the voltage reading across the battery with the engine off! We had 12.5v
    We then started the engine and got what we wanted! An increase in the reading across the battery! It was giving us 13.5-14v šŸ˜€ šŸ˜€

So this was looking good! I took a reading of 12.5 volts on the battery just before I did the 15 mile return journey home.
    Once I had got home, and put the bike away! I had a brew
    Just to let the bike rest before taking a new volt reading from the battery to see if I had put charge into the battery or lost any more!? šŸ˜•

13.01 Volts šŸ˜€

So it had indeed put charge into the battery! šŸ™‚ šŸ™‚ šŸ™‚

I am a very Happy Bunny!

I Just have to keep an eye on it now and make sure I dont have any underlying problem that made my component fail in the first place!

Tango
    Participant

Now it has been a few hours since The bike was put away I have checked the volt reading again and its now reading 12.96 volts
    This could be expected after the bike has rested and the battery plates have settled down to a more stable reading.
    I’ll do one more reading before I lock the garage up later, Just to make sure I don’t have a drain somewhere?

dougyt
    Participant

Your battery will still settle around 12.6 probably. I wouldn’t be too concerned at the drop after a charge up.
    To check for drain you could use a meter on a amps range and put it between the battery and positive lead (i.e. disconnect the positive lead and connect one side of the tester to the lead and the other side to the battery). Do not start the bike on the starter like this it will draw way more than your meter will handle. But with all the electrics off it should give little to zero reading.

Tango
    Participant

Cheers Mate :pint:

Somthing like this?

Meter set to Amps on 20 same as I would use for Volts in the Volt setting?

And No Ignition turned on.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

RESULT.

Glad it’s all sorted now buddy and a big thanks goes out to Dougyt for his wonderful phone support. Cheers mate

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 124 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this