Flat Tracker

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 240 total)
  • Author
    philpassingham
    Participant

Any updates

beachcomber
    Participant

Well that went pear shaped !

First off – long break at our place in Saxony – just didn’t want to come back !

Came back raring to go – frame mods finished [ courtesy of a friend in the end ] and all parts finally ready for powder coating.

THEN, my Wife was attacked by a friend’s [?? ] dog. Ten days in hospital and two operations …..

So, again not a lot happened in my garage while all that was going on.

On a positive note – the same friend who finished the frame mods has volunteered to weld up the Weber intake manifold. Just have to decide whether to get him to make up the three sets – I had to order a minimum of 3 sets of flanges from the lazer cutter.

I also found a local Cafe Racer parts supplier who has exhaust pipes made for him. He’s prepared to loan me a set of unchromed BSA Spitfire high level pipes to see if they can be modded for my bike. I have the exhaust flange stubs [ thanx Hoggy ].

I AM getting a clear picture in my mind now for the “look”.

Red frame, forks, yokes, swingarm, prop stand. Yellow tank, seat cowl, mudguards etc. MAybe some graphics. Maybe Red wrinkle finish engine [ if not – Black ]. Gold wheels. Black perforated leather seat upholstery on my H-D XR750 seat base.

No lights [ except brake light ]and Flat track style “number plates”.

Just got to make it happen now !

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Blimey mate that’s quite some contrast of events to deal with. Hopefully your wife recovers ok and everything gets back to normal for you.
    I won’t interfere with your vision but may help with your decisions as I would be interested in a webber inlet manifold. Do you have a price?
    Anyway welcome back to our world.

beachcomber
    Participant

Thanx for the kind thoughts KK.

My wife is well on the mend now – but still nervous around dogs [ we have a GBFO Doberman ! ]

Re: Weber intake, I’ll do them at cost plus 10% to cover my development, running around, etc.

The set [ 3 flanges – 2 x intake 1 x Weber ] cost me £39 inc. vat.

There’s only 2 x small lengths of tube [ minimal cost ] plus the cost of welding them up.

philpassingham
    Participant

Good to see you back n bad news over dog attack, hope she’s on the mend

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

I’d be nervous with a dog like that n no incident. Price sounding good on intake. I’m guessing manifold will allow webber to fit straight in standard frame? If so I will have one please.

beachcomber
    Participant

HA………no she’s not nervous around our Dobe – she’s a big softie [ so’s the dog, boom, boom ].

I’ll get all three made up and I’ll certainly earmark one for you so you can make a final decision.

Please take a close look at the rough mock up to see where the Weber is placed. From memory there is normally an air filter ass’y where the bell mouths protrude back into the frame ? Obviously that will not be needed. If you do want to run filtration – then K&N / a.n.other will do. When I did the mock up, I left the OEM inlet stubs in place to give me a rough idea of spacing. The beauty of this conversion is that it can all be put back to standard if required.

When the final mock up is done, I’ll post up so peeps can see exactly where everything fits.

Ideally 38mm / 40mm Weber for the job. Rebuild kits are silly cheap [ sub £30 ] and you will need two rubber isolator gaskets – readilly available [ as are jets etc.]. They take care of any vibrations. Solex and Dellorto also make similar carbs – cheaper, but parts not so easy to come by.

I used a 40 DCOE on my sidecar race bike [ 650 Triumph engine ] back in the 60’s. It was a piece of cake to tune [ effectively ONE carb ]and I never suffered from fuel surge as some outfits did !

Please be aware this is NOT something that will happen rapidly – as I am always at the mercy of others when it comes to fabrication / welding.

Final pic [ BSA Street Scrambler ] is the general loook I’m after

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

That looks good mate. I do like the look of the BSA too

beachcomber
    Participant

What’s that? best laid plans etc……

The frame and other parts were due in this week for powder coating – but the PC place has been inundated with a rush job from a major manufacturer [ ? ]. So, all nicely tucked up in the back of my Citroen and they have promised for next week. Ah well, I only started this project 12 months ago !

On the good news front, my pal got me a set of the isolator gaskets [ anti-vibe ]for the Weber. Downside – they only come in sets of 4 [ twin Webers ! ]

I’ll keep the spare set by in case KK wants to go ahead with a conversion.

beachcomber
    Participant

Then I realised I’d left the old ball race cups in the headstock !!!

They’re in the bin now, while I was at it I took a pic of the seat / undertray mounts I had made and welded in.

Also found a few more parts to be PC’d – rear brake torque arm, rear caliper mount, fork yokes definitely Red now to match frame.
    Fork bottoms ???????? Red or polished ? I’m erring towards Red with the Gold wheels.

At least I feel like some progress is being made – I guess when all the lovely Red bits are back that will give me the kick up the ‘arris I need.
    Anyone seen any of those off road / scrambler oval number plates that don’t require a second mortgage ?

Michael
    Participant

Hi Beachcomber,

sorry to say that, but you are posting the same old pics every now and then in a new post.
    OK, latest pic is a new one, but that are just brackets welded anyhow into the rusted frame! Brilliant story, you can weld or know anyone who welds for you. Very impressive 🙁

Now you are talking about golden wheels.
    Last thing I saw of these wheels was a ruin in a hedge.
    Red lower ends of the front fork, red frame, …
    Come on, do the things you have already announced or do you want to waste our time to look at your thread ?

Please move on doing things or ask questions how we can help, but stop posting same pics again and again.

Great, you want a conversion to Weber dual carbs ?
    When do you make it operational ?

Overall this a boring story YTD (year to date).

I may ship a (defective) 1,- Euro turbo charger to you and you may waste our time for the next following year posting a single pic where the turbo is fixed/placed somehow in a rusted ruin.

Come on, we want to see the progress !

Thank you for your understanding !

Cheers, Michael

beachcomber
    Participant

Point taken Michael – colour me gone.

lonesome
    Participant

Michael, was that really necessary?

Michael
    Participant

See same old pics every time ?
    That’s boring !

Michael
    Participant

I am sorry to see him go.
    That was not my intention !
    I have offered help, but when he decides to leave, that is his decision.
    A thread is that good as it has new content.
    Same old stuff and pics again and again … ?
    I just wrote what I think about that thread.
    If there is nothing new, well, don’t post it!
    Sorry to probably kick out a Lonesome Twin, but I can not stand this kind of thread !
    SHOW YOUR PROGRESS !

Cheers, Michael

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 240 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this